How long to see results?

Options
2»

Replies

• foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,612 Member
    Options
    Did you take your measurements before you started your exercise program? You could be building muscle and losing fat. Since muscle is heavier than fat, it wouldn't show up as a loss on the scale but might show up as a loss of inches. If you didn't pre measure yourself, you might notice your clothes fitting better. I started, about 6 months ago, posting my weight and measurements on a goals thread and I have lost 10 lbs and overall 11".

And yes, I think you should get a food scale.
  • honeybunny406
    honeybunny406 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are doing a good job. Keep up the good work. It will happen. Maybe you are eating the wrong combinations of food. For me it isn't just about the calories. If I am not eating the right combination, it seems like my body just holds on to the fat. The dietician should be able to help you tweak that. How about your water intake? Remember, as you exercise you are building muscle. Maybe to see progress start measuring yourself. Are you clothes fitting looser? Look for the small changes and eventually with some small adjustments here and there you will start seeing the weight come off as well. Remember as you change your lifestyle you are getting healthier. The weight loss is just an added bonus. Don't give up!
  • druw3620
    druw3620 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would recommend carb cycling or carb backloading, as well, look into intermittent fasting. As always, consult your doctor before trying carb cycling and IF.

keep up the good work!
  • kjellina
    kjellina Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    druw3620 wrote: »
    I would recommend carb cycling or carb backloading, as well, look into intermittent fasting. As always, consult your doctor before trying carb cycling and IF.

keep up the good work!

What is carb cycling? I know about IF but I've never heard of carb cycling.
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It looks like you also eat dried cereal almost every day for breakfast, with little to no protein to go along with it. Has your nutritionist commented about that? Do you feel like you're still hungry after that?
  • kjellina
    Options
    You are doing a good job. Keep up the good work. It will happen. Maybe you are eating the wrong combinations of food. For me it isn't just about the calories. If I am not eating the right combination, it seems like my body just holds on to the fat. The dietician should be able to help you tweak that. How about your water intake? Remember, as you exercise you are building muscle. Maybe to see progress start measuring yourself. Are you clothes fitting looser? Look for the small changes and eventually with some small adjustments here and there you will start seeing the weight come off as well. Remember as you change your lifestyle you are getting healthier. The weight loss is just an added bonus. Don't give up!

Thanks! I don't plan on giving up. I've apparently lost an inch on my hips, but my pants aren't fitting any better, so I don't think I measured right. :(

I try to drink above 60 oz of water per day (though I know for a fact I slack off on my water on the weekends...).
  • kjellina
    Options
    usafbeach wrote: »
    It looks like you also eat dried cereal almost every day for breakfast, with little to no protein to go along with it. Has your nutritionist commented about that? Do you feel like you're still hungry after that?

I've been eating it while I try to figure out what to replace it with. She recommended I switch to something like Life, because I was eating dairy free yogurt that had a looot more sugar than I was comfortable with.

I usually don't get hungry until about 11:30-12:00, which is when I usually have lunch.
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    kjellina wrote: »
    usafbeach wrote: »

I've been eating it while I try to figure out what to replace it with. She recommended I switch to something like Life, because I was eating dairy free yogurt that had a looot more sugar than I was comfortable with.

I usually don't get hungry until about 11:30-12:00, which is when I usually have lunch.

Generally speaking when I'm trying to lose weight I tend to look for foods higher in protein and lower in carbs to help me feel satiated. As others have pointed out, it's (almost) all about the calories, so I echo their recommendations to get a food scale and weigh everything! I'll cut up an apple and weigh the slices, measure meats and cheeses to the gram. It is very easy to misjudge how much food you're eating if you're guessing or doing volume measurements alone.

Whatever you do, keep it up!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I've also been dieting on about 1400 calories for about 3 months.
    Thanks!
    -Kaylee
    This statement almost surely indicates that you have not been logging your food. (if you have, please make your diary public for suggestions) Accurately weighing and logging everything you eat is mandatory if you feel you are doing it all right and still not seeing results.

I've been measuring my food and tracking it for a few months. I'll make my diary public.

measuring food is going to be off. a half cup of oats can end up being more like a cup weight wise,2 apples the same size can vary,prepackaged food can also be off by up to 20%. I learned the hard way I was using measuring cups and gained back weight I lost and I couldnt figure out why. I came here and was told to get a food scale and to weigh all solids and semi soilds and use cups and spoons for liquids only. I started losing the weight again. as for carb cycling you dont need to do that either as all you need is a caloric deficit to lose weight.

all those inconsistencies add up over time. if you have a cheat day or meal it can completely throw your deficit out the window.
  • kjellina
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    No dinner on September 19th?
    September 12th is half filled in.
    You were way over 1500 on the 13th.
    Missing dinner again on the 9th (calories eaten shows 800).
    Missing dinner again on the 4th (calories eaten shows 600).
    Apple with peanut butter and maple syrup for dinner on the 2nd?
    August 27th is blank, completely.
    No dinner on the 24th of August (calories eaten shows 1000).

Now, that's just the last month of your food diary. Where in those items do you think you can improve?

The blank ones are because I was on Topamax, and sometimes I would literally come home and fall asleep due to the drug making me extremely tired. So I would miss dinner (and taking my meds), because I was asleep. Surprise, my weight isn't my only health issue.

27th I was probably not feeling well so I didn't log because I was feeling really crappy and just wanted to sleep.

Apple with peanut butter and maple syrup was what I had on hand for how hungry I was. Admittedly could have gone without the maple syrup, but I may have just wanted something sweet, don't remember.

13th was probably a cheat day or had something special going on? I don't remember, but one day like that wouldn't completely negate the rest of my work, at least according to my nutritionist and bariatrician.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What made you decide on 1400 cal? Muay Thai 3 x per week, plus cycling - that's not a walk around the block, that's burning some serious energy. If your TDEE (your bodily functions + regular day + including all of that exercise) is, say, 3000 cal per day, your cut may be too aggressive. A 20% cut would be 2400 cal per day.

I'm trying to lose 100 lbs, a little more than you, but my cut calories are 2200 plus eating back some exercise cals....and my exercise is lifting and walking - not burning anywhere near what you are. I'm losing.

As everyone has said, you need to track accurately and a food scale will help you with that. But people who cut too aggressively seem to only last on their 'diet' for a short time then crash and burn because they convince themselves it can't be done. Remember - you are trying to lose body fat, the goal isn't to starve / torture / make yourself unhealthy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Now, that's just the last month of your food diary. Where in those items do you think you can improve?

The blank ones are because I was on Topamax, and sometimes I would literally come home and fall asleep due to the drug making me extremely tired. So I would miss dinner (and taking my meds), because I was asleep. Surprise, my weight isn't my only health issue.

27th I was probably not feeling well so I didn't log because I was feeling really crappy and just wanted to sleep.

Apple with peanut butter and maple syrup was what I had on hand for how hungry I was. Admittedly could have gone without the maple syrup, but I may have just wanted something sweet, don't remember.

13th was probably a cheat day or had something special going on? I don't remember, but one day like that wouldn't completely negate the rest of my work, at least according to my nutritionist and bariatrician.

Then maybe you need some follow up and blood work done to ensure there's not something else going on.
  • LaVonneC
    LaVonneC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I started working with a personal trainer he said it would be 3-6 months before I would see a difference in the scale, and I found that to be true. That being said, sometimes I would plateau after that and he would tell me to cutout dairy and carbs for a week, then gradually start reintroducing the goods carbs. Brown rice, oatmeal, etc. it helped me.
  • Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If this is the case, you're eating more than you think you are or you need to see a doctor. When you cut calories and you're in a deficit, you typically start losing weight right away...

Yes this is true. Definitely visit your healthcare provider if you're doing the work and getting no results. It could be a thyroid issue or a number of other different issues.
  • kjellina
    Options
    LaVonneC wrote: »
    When I started working with a personal trainer he said it would be 3-6 months before I would see a difference in the scale, and I found that to be true. That being said, sometimes I would plateau after that and he would tell me to cutout dairy and carbs for a week, then gradually start reintroducing the goods carbs. Brown rice, oatmeal, etc. it helped me.

Thank you for actually answering my question. :)

It's a bit of a relief hearing that. It's been just over a month since I started working out more than 3x a week. So I guess I just have to keep at it and see?

Luckily I'm vegan except for the rare cheat day (and I'm more strict about dairy consumption than I am meat cconsumption.), so I've already cut out dairy. :)
  • kjellina
    Options

Then maybe you need some follow up and blood work done to ensure there's not something else going on.

I did. They haven't found anything yet.
  • kjellina
    Options
    What made you decide on 1400 cal? Muay Thai 3 x per week, plus cycling - that's not a walk around the block, that's burning some serious energy. If your TDEE (your bodily functions + regular day + including all of that exercise) is, say, 3000 cal per day, your cut may be too aggressive. A 20% cut would be 2400 cal per day.

I'm trying to lose 100 lbs, a little more than you, but my cut calories are 2200 plus eating back some exercise cals....and my exercise is lifting and walking - not burning anywhere near what you are. I'm losing.

As everyone has said, you need to track accurately and a food scale will help you with that. But people who cut too aggressively seem to only last on their 'diet' for a short time then crash and burn because they convince themselves it can't be done. Remember - you are trying to lose body fat, the goal isn't to starve / torture / make yourself unhealthy.

I decided on 1400 because that's what Myfitnesspal picked. I talked to my coach about it on Monday, and he suggested I try to eat more, so for the past few days I've been leaning more toward 1500 calories and eating more protein in that extra calories so I can see if that helps...

Do you know how I can calculate my TDEE properly? The thing is, I'm not even really hungry at 1400 calories a day. The ONLY luck I've had at losing weight was a few years ago when I limited myself to 300 calories a day, which was very unhealthy. But all other diet attempts I've tried haven't worked at all, or I gain weight. :(
  • kjellina
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If this is the case, you're eating more than you think you are or you need to see a doctor. When you cut calories and you're in a deficit, you typically start losing weight right away...

Yes this is true. Definitely visit your healthcare provider if you're doing the work and getting no results. It could be a thyroid issue or a number of other different issues.

Unfortunately, I've been to the doctor quite a bit, and they haven't found signs of thyroid issues or anything else so far. About the only thing they haven't checked for is polycystic ovary syndrome. :(
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I decided on 1400 because that's what Myfitnesspal picked. I talked to my coach about it on Monday, and he suggested I try to eat more, so for the past few days I've been leaning more toward 1500 calories and eating more protein in that extra calories so I can see if that helps...

Do you know how I can calculate my TDEE properly? The thing is, I'm not even really hungry at 1400 calories a day. The ONLY luck I've had at losing weight was a few years ago when I limited myself to 300 calories a day, which was very unhealthy. But all other diet attempts I've tried haven't worked at all, or I gain weight. :(

TDEE is something you have to figure out. Calculators are a guide and starting point, but not always accurate. The only way to figure it out is to eat at TDEE for a few weeks, say 1 month, and maintain your regular exercise pattern. After a month, you can tell whether you are a little bit over, a little bit under, or just right.

There are a few but I like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    I don't know your other stats, but for exercise you are at least 'Moderate' and closer to 'Strenuous' if you are Muay Thai training 3 times per week and cycling as well.

If you have had periods in your life where you have severely restricted calories (300 a day? :open_mouth: Malnourishment!) and not feeling hungry at 1400, and if the TDEE figure from the calculator above freaks you out a little, that all signals that you might have suppressed your TDEE. Your body has made adjustments over time to survive on less. You can adjust back to what your actual TDEE should be, it will take time and probably some weight gain at first, but one you are eating back at what your TDEE should be, enjoying the food and nourishing your body, THEN you can cut a little from that TDEE and start to lose fat again. I have also found this site extremely helpful: http://eatmore2weighless.com/ Lots of information, video links to watch, stories from people who have left the severe calorie restriction behind because it stopped working and got crazy.