Runners.... when does it start to get fun???

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I run outside not on a treadmill (I don't have access to one) and I still sometimes find the run being all about the run. I don't get a ton of enjoyment out of it, but I still look forward to getting out there and doing it, mostly because I'm trying to go that much faster or that much further. I still run/walk and plan to do so for the foreseeable future. I find it best if I can run some place new and not just the same one mile loop through my neighborhood. In fact, I did 4 miles this weekend in the mountains, and while the run itself was tough and NOT fun, I'm still pretty thrilled that I did it.

I do, however, own a stationary bike. I cannot just sit there and ride that thing. I have it in my computer room and I watch TV shows or movies while I'm riding it. I've gotten myself to the point where I really don't watch TV on the sofa any longer. I watch and ride and the 45 minutes to an hour go by very quickly. Rather than listening to the radio, if you can put a small TV, or laptop, in front of your treadmill, you may find that to be a good solution for you, too. If that's not an option, try to get some podcasts of old radio shows, or audio books, instead of just music. Something which more fully engages your brain and distracts you from the boredom of running.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I tried running-Couch to 5k, then Gateway to 8k and then I started a half-marathon training plan and I realized, after almost a year, I don't like running! It's boring and there's no good reason to be able to run for an hour.
    If your goal is calorie burn, you should try interval running and not for more than 20 minutes.
    There is some evidence that steady state cardio isn't great for fat loss:
    http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
    I think some people really enjoy it, they get a runner's high or they like the quiet time to themselves.
    I liked the challenge, to some extent, but I never liked running and couldn't get enough music on my ipod to train for a half marathon!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    This is another big belief I have, if you want your exercise program to be successful in the long term, you have to find something you enjoy. If you don't like running on a treadmill and can't find a way to make it enjoyable, try something else. Running outside on a good trail might be a good choice to try. For me, I hate running for no reason. I'm a soccer referee and I don't mind running in games and I really enjoy that. But just running a trail with no place really to go is just boring and annoying to me. So I started biking instead.

We've got a great trail by our house that was built on an old railroad right of way. It's pretty scenic and also relatively flat. It spans over 50 miles and connects to 5 different towns along the way. I've found I enjoy riding along there for the scenery and to go to places I don't normally visit. Right now my goals for my riding are to keep pushing a little farther each time and see new scenery and towns. I got a GPS tracking app for my phone from another site and use that to track my rides and estimate my calories burned. That makes it a lot more fun for me.

Try different things until you find the one you enjoy the most and then make some games out of it. Challenge yourself. Explore new areas you've never been to before. Do your activity at diffferent times of the day and see if the scenery changes. Things like that.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run on a treadmill if you paid me! Outside is far more fun! Although probably the honest answer is that the run's most fun when it's over and you get that buzz...
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    U have to get outside and experience running that way...it started to be fun for me once i completed my first 5k. I was hooked after that
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The first 5-10 minutes of running is always tough. It takes me a 1/2 a mile to a full mile to find my legs and rhythm and start to enjoy the run.

Running on the treadmill requires a distraction: TV or music or something. I have always found the treadmill to be more difficult than running outdoors. Its just more boring and repetitive. But I do it just the same in the winter months.

The more you run the more you should enjoy it. Set goals for yourself: time, distance, pace, etc and work towards those goals so it feels as though you are accomplishing something every time you get on the treadmill.

Also, I saw someone mention that walking inclines briskly is about the same calorie burn as running at 0 incline. This is fairly accurate. So if you ever get burnt out on running for the day, try walking inclines and you will get near the same heart rate and calorie burn.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump, want to finish reading later as I'm in the same boat.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Who said you HAVE to run to get sufficient exercise? There are a lot of other effective workouts out there -- if you don't enjoy running, then maybe there are options for you. Exercise is crappy enough; why not find something that isn't torture? :flowerforyou:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Who said you HAVE to run to get sufficient exercise? There are a lot of other effective workouts out there -- if you don't enjoy running, then maybe there are options for you. Exercise is crappy enough; why not find something that isn't torture? :flowerforyou:

agreed. Kudos for sticking with it. And stick with it. But additionally - find something that IS fun. Lots of other cardio options out there.

Try podcasts if you're sick of music (or buy new music). Or go without music and listen to what's around you, outside.

I say give it a few more years and then see if you love it yet. If you don't love it, you'll love the results, and that's reason enough to keep doing it :happy:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The only time I have touched a treadmill is when I was testing HRM....they make me feel queasy and icky. :smile:

I encourage you to try running outside before you totally give it up. Sure the weather will be challenging at times. But to me, that's part of the allure of running. I've ran outside when it was 5*, and when it was 105* just to see the effect on my breathing and pace. (not well in either case, but those are extremes). Mot to mention the change in scenery and elevation.

If you don't find anything appealing about running after running outside. Find some thing else to do. I'll be the first to admit running isn't for everyone.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the posts... and advice!!!!

I've been only running on the treadmill up until now for two primary reasons... 1) I live in FL, and... I gotta say... I really don't enjoy being out doing physical activity in the heat/humidity. The humidity is killer for me and makes it hard to breathe. 2) It's easier for me to get in a 30-40 minute workout on the treadmill. I work full-time, albeit from home, so.... I try to block out 30 minutes on my calendar during the day to get in some exercise. I just don't have the job flexibility to leave during the day and go for a run. I have to stay close to the phone/computer.

But... all that being said.... I think I need to start branching out and adding more scenery to my runs. Once the weather cools down, I'll scope out some trails, etc.

THANKS again for all the info and advice.... it's been really helpful!
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Stop thinking about your pace. Stop thinking about you time. Just run and breathe and if you can't get into a rhythm (gasp) slow down. I have a blog post about this, but I didn't start to love running (and I do love running despite being obese) until I stopped pushing myself to go farther/faster every time. It may be harder to find your naturaly rhythm on a treadmill since you have to program the pace, but when you do, it's worth it. :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Running became fun, when I started running outdoors. I found a beautiful trail and I love running it. Try getting off the treadmill. You will see faster results with outdoors running :)

This!!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I can't say I really enjoy any kind of workout except for zumba, its just something I have to do! I am trying out a new trail today and hope to enjoy it so that I will enjoy my run more! I want to be able to run 3 miles without stopping :D
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    This is another big belief I have, if you want your exercise program to be successful in the long term, you have to find something you enjoy. If you don't like running on a treadmill and can't find a way to make it enjoyable, try something else.

I completely agree! I find running to be a bore, whether it is on a treadmill, outside, doesn't matter. To me, running will always suck.

I do like to hike, because I like the challenge of climbing steep hills and being rewarded with phenomenal views at the summit. I like to swim (seasonally!). I am starting a new exercise class this week to try something new (Pilates). You have to find what you LIKE to do, not just some calorie burning activity that feels like a chore.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. I do run on the treadmill on some days, but on others I go outside. Different routes too. It's good to have variety, keeps it more interesting.
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I tried running-Couch to 5k, then Gateway to 8k and then I started a half-marathon training plan and I realized, after almost a year, I don't like running! It's boring and there's no good reason to be able to run for an hour.
    If your goal is calorie burn, you should try interval running and not for more than 20 minutes.
    There is some evidence that steady state cardio isn't great for fat loss:
    http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
    I think some people really enjoy it, they get a runner's high or they like the quiet time to themselves.
    I liked the challenge, to some extent, but I never liked running and couldn't get enough music on my ipod to train for a half marathon!
    that made me laugh. i feel that way sometimes too "why am i doing this. I DON'T LIKE TO RUN." it hurts and i can't breath. but when i do it, it is a sense of accoumplishment.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    1) I live in FL, and... I gotta say... I really don't enjoy being out doing physical activity in the heat/humidity. The humidity is killer for me and makes it hard to breathe.

I wondered if it might be the weather. I'm in AZ which is why I end up on the bike indoors most days, instead of outside running. I have to get up at around 5am to get in a run before it gets too hot and that just doesn't happen most days. :)
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    So true... the first 2 miles or so are very hard.
    When I do them, I feel like I'm old and stiff... out of breath... and then it eases into a nice relaxed workout. I also hated running until I signed up to train for a marathon... (my first race ever, but it's nearly a year away) and I got a training plan that has speed drills and varying length runs. I try to always run outdoors. I also have a gps tracker on my phone that will tell me (out loud) my speed and total distance and time every quarter mile and/five minutes. That, along with Pandora, saved my running.

So to sum it up...
    1.) First 2.5 miles will almost always be very hard and unfun
    2.) Goals: pay attention to times, improvement, future races, etc (my gps also keeps track of new personal bests for both distance and time)
    3.) GPS, I have a smartphone and the app was free. I love it. It's called runkeeper.
    4.) Music (if you like) or podcasts
    5.) Didn't mention before... but make sure to hydrate all day long or it will really affect your run. Drinking only a half hour or so before a run won't help if you've not been drinking enough water before.

Hope it helps!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress so far.
    The only advice I have is get off the treadmill if at all possible. I love to run, but as much as I love it, I absolutely despise the treadmill. I would never, ever run if my only option was a treadmill.