How much protein is too much?

Options

Replies

• bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic -

Recommendation: Get 10 to 35 percent of your total daily calories from protein. Protein has 4 calories a gram. Based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet, this amounts to about 200 to 700 calories a day, or about 50 to 175 grams a day. Emphasize plant sources of protein, such as beans, lentils, soy products and unsalted nuts. Include seafood twice a week. Meat, poultry and dairy products should be lean or low fat.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's some interesting information in this thread but to get back to the OP's question....

From what I've read (and I'm certainly not as up on this as some others!) our kidneys can efficiently process up to around 200-300 grams of protein a day, based on your height and weight. 120 grams per day is not too much in that respect. Whether or not you "need" that much is another story.
  • rainvc
    rainvc Posts: 142
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. My husband has PKU, so our typical daily diet consists of roughly 11g of protein, unless its a meat day (which we do 3X a week). I try to substitute by snacking on nuts and eating meat on my lunch at work, and I always incorporate meat into my son's diet. But I have trouble straying from what I cook for my hubby. I was thinking of trying a shake for this reason. Any recommendations?
  • jcaa2011
    jcaa2011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use the six star professional strength from Wal-Mart...I get the chocolate but they have other flavors too. It tastes really good and has around 25g protein per scoop :) There are others that are good as well though.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    There's some interesting information in this thread but to get back to the OP's question....

From what I've read (and I'm certainly not as up on this as some others!) our kidneys can efficiently process up to around 200-300 grams of protein a day, based on your height and weight. 120 grams per day is not too much in that respect. Whether or not you "need" that much is another story.

I will amend this by saying that , yes, they can process 200-300 per day without problems, but some of what you eat gets burned as fuel for energy and some is used for other purposes before reaching the kindeys. The more active you are and the more you lift the more will be burned for fuel and the more will be used for tissue maintenance and repair (From lifting..ect). So the actual amount that is safe to eat is actually higher than 200-300.

Given that most bodybuilders who have much more muscle mass than the average guy can eat 300+ everyday without issues it would be pretty hard for the average person to OD. It's hard to say how much of your protein gets used before being processed through the kindeys but I would estimate 10-15% is a decent estimate.

My opinion is that most people will not see health effects from too much protein until they reach the 400g range and maintain that for the long term.

Just to put it in perspective, you'd have to drink something in the order of 15-20 protein shakes a day or 60-70 ounces of chicken breast.

So while it could happen, it's pretty hard to do it unles you are trying to kill yourself.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    However, I must point out some seriously flawed logic to your post. If the amount of protein we need is what the mainstream medical community says...and you define need as how much our body will use before storing it as fat...then I should be seriously fat. I've been consuming approximately 140 grams of protein per day. But according to you, I only need 70 grams. Do you see what I'm getting at? But my body-fat has been slowly going down over the weeks.

Also, people have been eating high protein diets for decades with no noticeable increase in reported kidney problems. Yes, people who ALREADY HAVE bad kidneys should keep their protein consumption (as well as an assortment of other foods) to a minimum, but for the rest of us, it would take an incredible amount of protein to overwork our kidneys. Protein hurting your kidneys is an outdated line of thinking that has been disproved by scientific research.

To the OP, my suggestion would be to enjoy your protein shakes. If anything, replacing your other macros with protein will accelerate fat loss.

First of all, I don't care how much protein you eat. I don't care if you choose to follow something other than evidenced based recommentations. But please don't ask me for MY OPINION (i.e. MY definition of need) and then group it into some rant to call my logic "flawed". If you want to know how any particular recommending organization defines "need" then please do that research yourself. And if you want to use personal anecdotal examples as "evidence" then please go ahead. I'll stick with medical evidence, which is a completely logical thing to do. Good luck and good health to you!
  • liftingbro
    Options

First of all, I don't care how much protein you eat. I don't care if you choose to follow something other than evidenced based recommentations. But please don't ask me for MY OPINION (i.e. MY definition of need) and then group it into some rant to call my logic "flawed". If you want to know how any particular recommending organization defines "need" then please do that research yourself. And if you want to use personal anecdotal examples as "evidence" then please go ahead. I'll stick with medical evidence, which is a completely logical thing to do. Good luck and good health to you!

The problem I have with this is your logic that eating more than the RDA is bad. Or so it seems from your posts. It's pretty common knowledge that RDAs are minimum levels to be healthy, not ranges or limtis on how much to eat.

If RDA is 70, they are just saying that for the average person 70g is enough to be healthy. It does not say that more than that is bad for you. In fact, I ask you to provide any evidance of the government saying any particular level of protein intake is unheathy.

Good luck witht hat.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between the recommended daily intake and the tolerable upper limit. Please link some recent studies that reaffirm your stance on protein. Also, main reason Americans get too much protein is because most Americans get too many calories in general. Over 30% adult obesity rate proves that.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The problem I have with this is your logic that eating more than the RDA is bad. Or so it seems from your posts. It's pretty common knowledge that RDAs are minimum levels to be healthy, not ranges or limtis on how much to eat.

If RDA is 70, they are just saying that for the average person 70g is enough to be healthy. It does not say that more than that is bad for you. In fact, I ask you to provide any evidance of the government saying any particular level of protein intake is unheathy.

Good luck witht hat.

Nope, never said or purposely implied anything like that. I said I like to stay within the recommendations and there is no medical evidence that you need more. Following evidenced based recommendations seems the most logical thing a person can do IMO.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    There's a difference between the recommended daily intake and the tolerable upper limit. Please link some recent studies that reaffirm your stance on protein. Also, main reason Americans get too much protein is because most Americans get too many calories in general. Over 30% adult obesity rate proves that.

Not sure who you were asking for links, but "tolerable limits" is a WHOLE other can of worms. I mean, the human body is pretty flexible and can live on no protein at all. I suppose there probably is an upper tolerable limit, but I don't know if anyone has ever done a study on it, but I sure as heck woudn't want to be one of the participants!! :noway:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Protein is typically recommended at approx 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass.

This.
  • bcattoes
    Options

This.

Recommended by whom?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    However, I must point out some seriously flawed logic to your post. If the amount of protein we need is what the mainstream medical community says...and you define need as how much our body will use before storing it as fat...then I should be seriously fat. I've been consuming approximately 140 grams of protein per day. But according to you, I only need 70 grams. Do you see what I'm getting at? But my body-fat has been slowly going down over the weeks.

Also, people have been eating high protein diets for decades with no noticeable increase in reported kidney problems. Yes, people who ALREADY HAVE bad kidneys should keep their protein consumption (as well as an assortment of other foods) to a minimum, but for the rest of us, it would take an incredible amount of protein to overwork our kidneys. Protein hurting your kidneys is an outdated line of thinking that has been disproved by scientific research.

To the OP, my suggestion would be to enjoy your protein shakes. If anything, replacing your other macros with protein will accelerate fat loss.

I was just responding to your post... Since you disagreed with something I was saying, I wanted to gain some clarity about what it is you were talking about. No need to get so defensive.

And it isn't anecdotal data I'm referring to. I'm pretty sure that hundreds of thousands of bodybuilders and fitness professionals around the world exceed your definition of needed protein without that "extra un-needed" protein turning into fat.

As for evidence based recommendations, I can provide you with several studies which show that a diet high in protein (not ketogentic and not low-carb) does aid in weight-loss and body-recomposition. And I think that is a good way to define our optimum protein level. AFter all, this is a fitness and dieting website. How much protein we "need" is such a nebulous term. The amount of protein we should consume should be determined by the optimum levels needed to help facilitate our weight-loss and body recomposition goals.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    [

As for evidence based recommendations, I can provide you with several studies which show that a diet high in protein (not ketogentic and not low-carb) does aid in weight-loss and body-recomposition. And I think that is a good way to define our optimum protein level. AFter all, this is a fitness and dieting website. How much protein we "need" is such a nebulous term. The amount of protein we should consume should be determined by the optimum levels needed to help facilitate our weight-loss and body recomposition goals.

Yes, as he said, higher protein diets do result in more weight loss. This is a result of protein having a much higher TEF and requiring more engery to digest it.

I think this is where the notion of protein being bad for you comes from. People seem to think that the fact that the body processes protein less efficiently than other macros that it's bad for you. If that were the case fiber would be terrible for us.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

This.

Recommended by whom?

This is exactly why I asked you for your definitions of "need" and how much is too much. The one gram per lb/bodyweight is typically given for someone who wants to maximize their lean body-mass....and I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest the body-recomp benefits of one gram per lb or bodyweigth (or lean bodyweight).

Whereas, if body-recomp isn't your goal, then eating that much protein might not be that important. We are arguing over what the optimal amounts are for different situations.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have read in several places that ENOUGH protein is 1/3rd gram for every lb you WANT to weight, but body builders can eat up to 1g per lb they ACTUALLY weigh, so I would say more than that was too much.
  • Mel7759
    Mel7759 Posts: 8
    Options
    some body builders actually eat as much as 300 grams of protein per day but realize that they are getting it mostly in their foods and only 1-2 protein shakes... so no 120 is not too much at all

Yes, they actually will more than 300g in a day sometimes because they have a huge amount of lean mass and are on intense training programs.

Sure, 200g of protein is probably more than someone who is inactive but if you are an average sized guy that lifts weights 4 days per week that's not too much.

Living with a body builder and surrounded by bodybuilders I can tell you that they eat more than 300 g of protein a day. My husband and all of his friends go to our GP on a regular basis to have an all over health check and there has never been a problem with his kidneys or any other part of his body. And he's been doing this for 10 years now.

So for the OP, 120g in a day isn't that bad, I average between 120-140 a day. If you're ever concerned though, go have a check-up with your GP. And good luck :-)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The misapprehension most people seem to be under is that eating more protein will make you build more muscle. It won't. Exercise is what causes you to use the protein you eat to be converted to muscle. Diet alone does nothing whatsoever. You can't magically make muscle appear.

For me, at 130lbs and exercising an hour 4 times a week, it is recommended by every online calculator I have tried and by the nutrition sites I have read (that aren't trying to sell me something) that I eat 60g protein a day. I in all honesty rarely get that much, but that is my aim. I am still building muscle and I haven't dropped dead yet. More than that is superfluous. Obviously a 200 lb, 6ft man will need more, but that is the recommended aim for a healthy, average sized women, even athletes.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    The misapprehension most people seem to be under is that eating more protein will make you build more muscle. It won't. Exercise is what causes you to use the protein you eat to be converted to muscle. Diet alone does nothing whatsoever. You can't magically make muscle appear.

For me, at 130lbs and exercising an hour 4 times a week, it is recommended by every online calculator I have tried and by the nutrition sites I have read (that aren't trying to sell me something) that I eat 60g protein a day. I in all honesty rarely get that much, but that is my aim. I am still building muscle and I haven't dropped dead yet. More than that is superfluous. Obviously a 200 lb, 6ft man will need more, but that is the recommended aim for a healthy, average sized women, even athletes.

Again, nobody here is saying that it is required to 1g per pound of bodyweight to be healthy. You are probably experiencing newbie gains. Most people when they first start lifting (over the first few months) will gain muscle no matter what they do if they lift.

Inspite of what your nice little online calculators migh say or what magic formula they go buy actual science shows that more than that is optimal for building muscle. Period.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Effects of exercise on dietary protein requirements.
    Lemon PW.
    SourceFaculties of Health Sciences and Medicine, 3M Centre, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 3K7.

Abstract
    This paper reviews the factors (exercise intensity, carbohydrate availability, exercise type, energy balance, gender, exercise training, age, and timing of nutrient intake or subsequent exercise sessions) thought to influence protein need. Although there remains some debate, recent evidence suggests that dietary protein need increases with rigorous physical exercise. Those involved in strength training might need to consume as much as 1.6 to 1.7 g protein x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately twice the current RDA) while those undergoing endurance training might need about 1.2 to 1.6 g x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately 1.5 times the current RDA). Future longitudinal studies are needed to confirm these recommendations and *kitten* whether these protein intakes can enhance exercise performance. Despite the frequently expressed concern about adverse effects of high protein intake, there is no evidence that protein intakes in the range suggested will have adverse effects in healthy individuals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9841962

Now if we are talking about consuming an overly EXCESSIVE amount of protein in the body over the course of a day it will most likely be stored as fat because of the excess calorie surplus. But if you were to consume over 200+ grams of protein, medium fats, and low carbs and you stayed under your TDEE for the day then no it will not be stored as fat. (just using as an example)

It also does not matter how much protein you have per meal. Let's please stop with the broscience that goes on in this thread.

Srs.