What workout should I do?

Options
So I'm trying to lose weight and I'm currently only doing squats ever day (trying to get a but lol) I don't have a ton of time because of my two kids but what would be a great workout for losing belly fat but not interfering with my booty goals?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No particular workout is going to spot reduce belly fat...your calorie deficit will cause you to lose fat from all over, including your belly but you can't dictate where and when it will come off first.

The belly is primary fat stores for most men and many women...primary fat stores are a first on, last off kinda dealio...
  • AbrielJaz
    AbrielJaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I worded that wrong. My main fat area is my stomach so I just want to lose fat but not lose my muscle I've been working on. So something that isn't a really long workout that burns fat and helps gain muscle. Specifacly glutes but any muscle gain is good.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you want to maintain muscle you want to be doing some sort of resistance training while you lose. In particular for the booty, I would recommend Strong Curves, there is an at home/bodyweight program which is fantastic (and once you progress you can start to add weights and resistance bands etc).
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    How old are the kids?

Family walks weather permitting are often a great activity for all from stroller set to teens.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    AbrielJaz wrote: »
    I worded that wrong. My main fat area is my stomach so I just want to lose fat but not lose my muscle I've been working on. So something that isn't a really long workout that burns fat and helps gain muscle. Specifacly glutes but any muscle gain is good.

If you're dieting, you're catabolic...if you're catabolic, you're not really going to put on muscle. To preserve lean mass when dieting you should do resistance training...more than just body weight squats. You can do body weight resistance training, but you should be working your entire body.

Also, the exercise doesn't burn fat...you burn fat when you're in a calorie deficit. You can burn fat doing absolutely zero exercise...though I wouldn't recommend that.

Exercise increases energy expenditure (ie burns calories) which can make maintaining a weight loss deficit easier...but exercise doesn't default to weight loss or burning fat. I've been in maintenance for years and I'm very active...I maintain my weight because I eat a maintenance level of calories. If exercise defaulted to weight loss/fat loss, then everyone who exercised on a regular basis would just wither away and ultimately die...
  • AbrielJaz
    AbrielJaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    6 months and two. I have a double stroller so I walk when weather permits.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    amywhoa wrote: »
    You have to eat clean food if you want to lower your body fat. No excess sugars and fats.
    You can also increase your cardio to burn calories off. Hiit is really good if your in a time crunch. Jump rope, jump squats, in n out jump squats , jumping jacks, high knees, burpess anything that gets your heart rate up and sweating. Choose any of the excercises, doesn't matter the order, and exercise 30 second work 30 secs rest. Repeat for 10 mins.

Also use weights to build your booty!

What is clean food? You don't need to avoid certain foods to lower your bodyfat.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You have to eat clean food if you want to lower your body fat. No excess sugars and fats.
    You can also increase your cardio to burn calories off. Hiit is really good if your in a time crunch. Jump rope, jump squats, in n out jump squats , jumping jacks, high knees, burpess anything that gets your heart rate up and sweating. Choose any of the excercises, doesn't matter the order, and exercise 30 second work 30 secs rest. Repeat for 10 mins.

What is clean food? You don't need to avoid certain foods to lower your bodyfat.

Clean food is food that’s not dirty, duh.
  • amywhoa
    amywhoa Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Loll!
    And eating clean is a basically avoid processed food like chips, fast food, candy etc. And start eating lean meat, fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Loll!
    And eating clean is a basically avoid processed food like chips, fast food, candy etc. And start eating lean meat, fresh fruits and vegetables.

Well then avoiding those foods is still not necessary to lower bodyfat.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Need to reduce calories. Spot training will not help much if at all. Full body resistance training will maintain and increase muscle mass while eating at deficit will reduce body fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Loll!

I'd recommend watching the video in: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503952/bro-do-you-even-eat-clean/p1

OP, I will add onto @cwolfman13 said. Get on a structured full body routine found in this link , have a moderate deficit and get adequate protein (1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight). I have a 2 year old, another on the way, so I workout at home after my son is asleep.

• Bradleydagen
    Bradleydagen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're dieting, you're catabolic...if you're catabolic, you're not really going to put on muscle. To preserve lean mass when dieting you should do resistance training...more than just body weight squats. You can do body weight resistance training, but you should be working your entire body.

Also, the exercise doesn't burn fat...you burn fat when you're in a calorie deficit. You can burn fat doing absolutely zero exercise...though I wouldn't recommend that.

Exercise increases energy expenditure (ie burns calories) which can make maintaining a weight loss deficit easier...but exercise doesn't default to weight loss or burning fat. I've been in maintenance for years and I'm very active...I maintain my weight because I eat a maintenance level of calories. If exercise defaulted to weight loss/fat loss, then everyone who exercised on a regular basis would just wither away and ultimately die...

Some of what was said is true... except that suggesting exercise doesn't burn fat. Clearly there is a knowledge deficit here. Endurance sports wouldn't exist if that were true. The reason is this; preferably your body uses glucose from the blood stream, liver stores, and carbohydrate conversion as the first fuel source during aerobic exercise. Unless you're consuming sugar during aerobic exercise, the body stores are mostly depleted in 15 to 20 minutes. Guess what the body turns to for fuel when good ol' sugar runs out? That's right, fatty acids from adipose tissue. The body doesn't like giving up these fatty acids because body fat is used as energy only in very demanding circumstances. Training in an aerobic state while your body is in a carbohydrate deficit will produce fatty acid metabolism and drain adipose tissue. The fat cell itself doesn't become catabolized, it just becomes smaller. This is also what is known as exercise induced fat loss. If anyone is interested in knowing more specifics surrounding this idea, such as energy systems used for different types of training or the intensity spectrum for them, I would be happy to share. God bless.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just gonna throw this out there....... most of the booty exercises work the core as well.

Deadlifts, squats, hip lifts etc.

So long as the diets in check, keep working the badonkadonk and the stomach will follow.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your genetics will play a larger role in where you lose first than anything else. Some women are meant to have larger bottoms, some aren't . . . just the way it rolls. Also, you likely are not gaining any muscle. To gain muscle you have to eat at a surplus and it's incredibly hard for women to gain a whole lot of muscle, due to the fact we don't have the hormonal make up to support it. It sucks but it is what it is. You can't spot reduce, it will come off first where it last went on. It's a reverse order removal, if you will.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Some of what was said is true... except that suggesting exercise doesn't burn fat. Clearly there is a knowledge deficit here. Endurance sports wouldn't exist if that were true. The reason is this; preferably your body uses glucose from the blood stream, liver stores, and carbohydrate conversion as the first fuel source during aerobic exercise. Unless you're consuming sugar during aerobic exercise, the body stores are mostly depleted in 15 to 20 minutes. Guess what the body turns to for fuel when good ol' sugar runs out? That's right, fatty acids from adipose tissue. The body doesn't like giving up these fatty acids because body fat is used as energy only in very demanding circumstances. Training in an aerobic state while your body is in a carbohydrate deficit will produce fatty acid metabolism and drain adipose tissue. The fat cell itself doesn't become catabolized, it just becomes smaller. This is also what is known as exercise induced fat loss. If anyone is interested in knowing more specifics surrounding this idea, such as energy systems used for different types of training or the intensity spectrum for them, I would be happy to share. God bless.

No...there is not a knowledge deficit here...

I'm an endurance athlete...yes, you can burn fat as fuel for an endurance event...but this is irrelevant...you constantly cycle between fat storage and oxidation. You burn more fat for fuel sleeping than you do with any other activity.

I train fasted for the very reason you state...but I'm in maintenance...I do not have a net fat loss...if I did, I'd wither away and die as an endurance athlete. While I may use fat for fuel on an endurance ride, that fat is replenished later. Even in a calorie deficit, you're going to cycle between using fat for fuel and fat storage...at the end of the day you would have a net decrease in fat because you are in a calorie deficit.

If exercising simply resulted in a net burning of fat, endurance athletes wouldn't exist, because they'd all be dead...
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

OP, ignore this advice - it is not at all necessary to eat only "clean" foods to lower body fat.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    How much are you squatting? How many reps/sets?
  • amywhoa
    amywhoa Posts: 47 Member
    Options

OP, ignore this advice - it is not at all necessary to eat only "clean" foods to lower body fat.

I never said to eat ONLY clean food. You can eat junk food in moderation. If you want to see results im sure eating processed and unhealthy food will not get you there especially if you have a sedentary lifestyle. If you stick to your food goals eating clean will get you there faster without depriving yourself from food bc processed food = higher calories = you can't intake a lot. Which will leave you deprived of food.
    I guess abs aren't made in the kitchen.

If you guys don't agree on my tip of losing weight is by eating clean then yes simply ignore my opinion and put your own tip in the comment section. K thanks.

at the end of the day do what you feel is right for your body don't let anyone tell you what you're doing is wrong :wink: