Protein is a pain in the *kitten*

Options
Am I the only one who has to go out of the way to get enough protein everyday? If it weren't for protein supplements I wouldn't even be getting close. I don't want to eat 2 pounds of chicken everyday. I also would prefer not to have to drink more than one shake or Quest bar a day as that *kitten* gets expensive real quick.
Anyone have some helpful hints as to where I might find the stuff other than copious amounts of animal products or expensive supplements?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What's "enough" protein? There's a difference between struggling to get 20% of your calories from protein (or the RDA for men of 56 grams) and struggling to get 45% of your calories from protein.

If you are struggling to reach a very high goal, you might want to consider lowering the goal.
  • marcusarand
    marcusarand Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Upon the advice of my personal trainer I'm at 30% protein on a 2500 calorie diet. Comes out to 188g according to this handy app.
    You can read 10 different articles and get 10 completely different recommendations as to how much protein to consume. I'm not dying when I don't hit the goal that's been set for me. It's mostly just the fact that someone programmed this app to tell me how much protein to eat and if I'm going to do it then I should do it "right". That's maybe not the right way to be looking at it. I dunno.

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, I am curious as to how much do you think you need? Unless you happen to be body builder, I am guessing your needs might not be nearly as inflated as you think.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    30% on that amount of calories is not much of a stretch. A pound of chicken (2 servings of 8 ounces each) is 100 grams. Add in some yogurt, eggs, jerky, and maybe a protein shake and you're golden. I hit 165 grams on Sundays with 1700 calories. I also have higher fat on Sunday, so hamburgers or steaks fits well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in non-animal sources of protein, check out beans, seitan, tofu, and tempeh.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,399 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Upon the advice of my personal trainer I'm at 30% protein on a 2500 calorie diet. Comes out to 188g according to this handy app.
    You can read 10 different articles and get 10 completely different recommendations as to how much protein to consume. I'm not dying when I don't hit the goal that's been set for me. It's mostly just the fact that someone programmed this app to tell me how much protein to eat and if I'm going to do it then I should do it "right". That's maybe not the right way to be looking at it. I dunno.

Protein requirements are based on a range of lean body mass. The amount you needs depends on a variety of factors (such as leanness, activity level, etc..), but unless you are jacked, you probably don't need 180g. The range is 1.5-2.2g/kg of body weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe rethink your goal?
    I go with the default 20% protein, 30% fat, and 50% carbs that MFP gave me for goals.
    I have not had to resort to protein bars or shakes to supplement to get to that goal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    How much protein are you trying to eat daily? If it's really that difficult for you to hit your goal maybe it's too high. The general suggestion is .8 to 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you want to eat more than that knock yourself out, but eating a bit lower than that is still not detrimental.

People losing weight (at risk of losing muscle) and adults over the age of 50 would seem to benefit from a much higher protein intake than the RDA. I keep seeing advice on MFP that high protein recommendations (anything where a person’s goals are higher than RDA) are just bro-science but never any back up to that claim. (Would really like to find out sources that back up the low RDA amount b/c I personally am not happy having to reach my protein goals, would be happier eating the low RDA amount).

My research ( weight loss and adult over 50) comes up with at least 2x RDA for older adults. Unfortunately that is about 40% of my weight loss calorie allowance.

Protein

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015/02/13/older-adults-double-your-protein-intake-for-better-health?context=amp

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170523095019.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/seniors-beef-it-up-to-prevent-muscle-loss/bgp-20136508

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/040715p16.shtml

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/daily-protein-needs-seniors-still-unsettled-201406117208

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Protein requirements are based on a range of lean body mass. The amount you needs depends on a variety of factors (such as leanness, activity level, etc..), but unless you are jacked, you probably don't need 180g. The range is 1.5-2.2g/kg of body weight.

This. For me that comes to around 100 g (really a bit less, but I love round numbers) and that amount is easy for me to get and does not require supplements, which I rarely use. Nothing wrong with them, just personal preference.

If you are bored with chicken and shakes remember there are a ton of other sources of lean meat (seafood is great, lean pork and beef and venison), low fat dairy works well, and the vegetarian sources mentioned above. Vegetables will also contribute some (and nuts, but they are more fat, so high cal for the protein).
  • seska422
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    People losing weight (at risk of losing muscle) and adults over the age of 50 would seem to benefit from a much higher protein intake than the RDA. I keep seeing advice on MFP that high protein recommendations (anything where a person’s goals are higher than RDA) are just bro-science but never any back up to that claim. (Would really like to find out sources that back up the low RDA amount b/c I personally am not happy having to reach my protein goals, would be happier eating the low RDA amount).

My research ( weight loss and adult over 50) comes up with at least 2x RDA for older adults. Unfortunately that is about 40% of my weight loss calorie allowance.
    2x the RDA for non-pregnant, non-breastfeeding women would be 92 grams. 40% of 1200 would be 120 grams. What's your calorie allowance?

Here's the WHO report on protein needs if you want to see the science behind "the RDA is adequate protein for 98% of everybody" comments. Pages 114-115 discuss the protein needs of the elderly.

This PubMed article recommends at least 1.0 grams per kilogram of body weight for older adults. "Body weight" means ideal weight when discussing protein since excess body fat does not need to be supplied with protein.

This American Journal of Clinical Nutrition article discusses a study where they find that protein needs for healthy older adults isn't statistically different from the RDA.

ETA: There's a difference between adequate and optimal protein intake. The RDA for adequate is 0.8 g/kg for non-pregnant, non-breastfeeding adults. The most common recommendation for optimal protein intake in the MFP forums that I see posted is generally around 0.8 g/pound of lean body mass (note the different unit) or about 1 g/pound of goal weight.
  • ryenday
    edited September 2017
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

2x the RDA for non-pregnant, non-breastfeeding women would be 92 grams. 40% of 1200 would be 120 grams. What's your calorie allowance?

Here's the WHO report on protein needs if you want to see the science behind "the RDA is adequate protein for 98% of everybody" comments. Pages 114-115 discuss the protein needs of the elderly.

This PubMed article recommends at least 1.0 grams per kilogram of body weight for older adults. "Body weight" means ideal weight when discussing protein since excess body fat does not need to be supplied with protein.

This American Journal of Clinical Nutrition article discusses a study where they find that protein needs for healthy older adults isn't statistically different from the RDA.

ETA: There's a difference between adequate and optimal protein intake. The RDA for adequate is 0.8 g/kg for non-pregnant, non-breastfeeding adults. The most common recommendation for optimal protein intake in the MFP forums that I see posted is generally around 0.8 g/pound of lean body mass (note the different unit) or about 1 g/pound of goal weight.

Thanks for those links, since I can not know my lean mass, and 1g / pound goal weight is close to the 2x RDA amount ( 61 g for a 170 lb woman)) - therefore I am hopeful I’m getting a good amount, but sad to see it is still ridiculously high percentage. Yes, my calorie allowance for weight loss is 1200. Currently on maintenance at 1450 so protein is slightly less onerous at the moment - but will be going back to 1200 soon ( on a break.)
  • seska422
    Options

Thanks for those links, since I can not know my lean mass, and 1g / pound goal weight is close to the 2x RDA amount therefore I am hopeful I’m getting a good amount, but sad to see it is still ridiculously high percentage. Yes, my calorie allowance for weight loss is 1200. Currently on maintenance at 1450 so protein is slightly less onerous at the moment - but will be going back to 1200 soon ( on a break.)
    The RDA is adequate and "optimal" isn't that optimal for you if it doesn't work comfortably with your way of eating. Why not experiment and find an amount between those two extremes? I like to aim for ~70-80 grams of protein per day no matter where my calorie intake is set.

MFP used to have a default of 15% of calories from protein and bumped it up to 20% because some studies were showing that a bit more protein might be helpful when losing weight. 20% of 1200 calories is 60 grams of protein per day, which is 1.3 times the RDA.
  • ryenday
    edited September 2017
    Options

Also confused where you got 92 g. So you’re doubling 41g as an RDA amount. But the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. I guess a 115ish pound woman? Lol not me then. Ah well, got my hopes up that I could lower my protein intake.
  • seska422
    edited September 2017
    Options

Also confused where you got 92 g. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is a modest 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. I guess a 115ish pound woman? Lol not me then. Ah well, got my hopes up that I could lower my protein intake.
    Excess body fat doesn't need to be provided with protein so, even though they say body weight, they mean ideal body weight. That's why people say to look at your lean body mass when deciding how much protein you need. 46 grams is the RDA amount for adult non-pregnant, non-lactating, "ideal" height women. Taller and shorter women can use the middle normal BMI-weight for their height and the 0.8 g/kg multiplier to tweak that number but it's still in the 46-gram neighborhood. The RDA Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients says that "RDAs and AIs may both be used as goals for individual intake."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,541 Member
    Options
    Read this. Eat more of the things on its list that you like, and less of something else that isn't helping you meet your goals:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks for those links, since I can not know my lean mass, and 1g / pound goal weight is close to the 2x RDA amount ( 61 g for a 170 lb woman)) - therefore I am hopeful I’m getting a good amount, but sad to see it is still ridiculously high percentage. Yes, my calorie allowance for weight loss is 1200. Currently on maintenance at 1450 so protein is slightly less onerous at the moment - but will be going back to 1200 soon ( on a break.)

What I see normally is .6-.8 (or .65-.85) g/lb of a healthy goal weight or .8-1 g/lb of lean mass.

My weight (healthy and not far from my eventual goal of 118-120 or so) is 125, so for me that comes to 81-106 g (based on .65-.85 g/lb). Since I am concerned about muscle loss when at a deficit, I err on the high side (100), which happens to be pretty easy for me and helps with satiety anyway. I would be okay with a bit lower if it were hard for me.

I do have a good LBM estimate from a DEXA, which is 95, so that falls within the range from the other estimate.

At 1200 calories (which I don't do these days), 100 g would be about 33% -- I think I'd probably go with 30% (90 g) and just try to hit or exceed it.

I think 1 lb/g (even of goal weight) is generally well more than anyone needs unless it makes a big difference to satiety.

Here's a pretty reliable site with some studies: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
  • ryenday
    Options
    Yeah, I still see the RDA is .8g protein per kilogram weight. It does suggest obese persons should prob use something other then Bodyweight. I’m not obese, merely overweight. I am over 50. The links I provided say I should probably be 2x RDA and I don’t see anywhere the RDA is based on lean weight or ideal weight.
    I’ll read further in the https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/ link, but quickly it looked to say exactly what I’m saying?

The difference is is the RDA calculated off of Bodyweight or off ideal weight. It seems to me everywhere I can find it says body weight - so 120+ G protein for me. When I’m at goal weight, yeah, my protein requirements will be less.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,541 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I still see the RDA is .8g protein per kilogram weight. It does suggest obese persons should prob use something other then Bodyweight. I’m not obese, merely overweight. I am over 50. The links I provided say I should probably be 2x RDA and I don’t see anywhere the RDA is based on lean weight or ideal weight.
    I’ll read further in the https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/ link, but quickly it looked to say exactly what I’m saying?

The difference is is the RDA calculated off of Bodyweight or off ideal weight. It seems to me everywhere I can find it says body weight - so 120+ G protein for me. When I’m at goal weight, yeah, my protein requirements will be less.

Protein is required to maintain our lean body mass. (That's why recommendations are often - and most precisely/accurately - phrased in terms of LBM. But many of us don't know our LBM. Therefore, the recommendations in terms of body weight are essentially the same recommendations, adjusted via a bit of arithmetic mumbo-jumbo to include an assumption about average body fat percentage.)

But our fat mass doesn't require extra protein to maintain it - just calories. Therefore, we use "healthy goal weight" with the grams-per-bodyweight figures as the basis for calculating protein needs when we're still overweight. Overweight people don't need more protein. People losing weight arguably do, but that's (IMO) already built into the 0.6-0.8g (per pound of healthy goal weight) you often see here.

Obviously, this is a huge subject of debate; this is my understanding/opinion.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight so I have MFP set to 30% protein. I hit 150-175g of protein a day with (normally) only having one protein drink. (protein keeps me somewhat fuller than carbs right now, so it keeps me in my goal.)

I had 155g of protein the other day with 1 protein shake, 1.5 cups of egg whites and 2 whole eggs, a skyr yogurt, a cheese string, and ground chicken, the rest came from grains or veg.

Today I had 180g of protein from 2 protein scoops, 1 cup egg whites and 2 whole eggs, a skyr yogurt, a cheese string, and ground chicken, the rest in beans and veg/grains.

Greek or Icelandic yogurt, eggs, egg whites, grains, beans, tofu, cheese, all can pack a decent bit of protein aside from meat.