Do You Think C25K Increases Too Fast?

2»

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    @dewd2 - That's interesting on the running plans. As I said earlier, I did C25K last year and made it through; however, I always thought to myself "I've never really "mastered" one of these weeks." Basically, I'd like to do a week and sort of "own" it if that makes sense and enjoy the run, versus struggling through each one. If I go back and run the slower weeks, I kind of enjoy the run itself when I'm not struggling. I like the thought of easy runs mixed in. But, yeah, C25K isn't designed that way. Wonder if there is some other app that is. I know I could do my own run routine and figure that out, but right now, being always pressed for time, I'm liking the use of an app.

To the comments about the heat: Yes, I don't do overly well in the heat. Prime reason that I didn't start this back up earlier in the summer when we had temps in the 90s everyday (not to mention constant high humidity). I am pretty good up to about 80 degrees. We are having a small heat wave. It will probably last through next week. It's lovely, but not for running. I already leave for work at 5AM and don't get home until about 4PM. I usually get home and have some caffeine and get out there. Otherwise, I can't cross the road to my running spot due to rush hour traffic AND if I get caught up in making dinner I seem to never make it out the door. So I'm not running at the most optimal time but it is the best time to ensure that I actually DO it.

Getting ready to go out in another 30 minutes or so to see if I can do this! I think I'm actually still a little worn out from Thursday's attempt though, so we shall see.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    I really like C25K but for people who ask me I always recommend doing it on a treadmill. It's super boring but it really does work better for beginners since you can control your speed. 3 years later I still have trouble keeping a steady pace outside.
  • CMNVA
    festerw wrote: »
    I really like C25K but for people who ask me I always recommend doing it on a treadmill. It's super boring but it really does work better for beginners since you can control your speed. 3 years later I still have trouble keeping a steady pace outside.

I do have a treadmill and use it during bad weather, but I am SO cooped up all day in my office that I am just loving the outdoors. I agree on the pacing though. I think I probably move to fast on the first and second intervals because I feel great then. I have to make a really conscious effort to slow down on the first run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2017
    I really like C25K but for people who ask me I always recommend doing it on a treadmill.

I'd see that as a good way to put people off running.

RPE is as much an important thing to learn for running out in the real.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited September 2017
    CMNVA wrote: »
    But, yeah, C25K isn't designed that way.

Week three is a cutback and week seven is a consolidation week before finishing. The first half of week five, building up to the first long run is also a bit of a taper.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA wrote: »
    But, yeah, C25K isn't designed that way.

Week three is a cutback and week seven is a consolidation week before finishing. The first half of week five, building up to the first long run is also a bit of a taper.

I wish my body could sense that!

So, I am back and I did it!! It was much more doable today than Thursday although that last minute was sloppy. Gasping, lurching, uneven pacing, etc. Not pretty to look at, I'm sure. :)

It was a nice 67 degrees out. Just a slight, slight cool nip when I first started so it was perfect weather. Still think it's too fast for me but I have NEVER been a physical/athletic type so my starting base is probably much lower than most (and I'm no spring chicken anymore).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

As far as how you look, Runners don't care, non-runners don't matter

Love this!!!! So very very true!!!!
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member

I completely disagree, at least for me personally. On the treadmill, I pick a pace (usually overly aggressive) and make myself stick with it. There is no adjustment unless you consciously make the decision to do so. While running outside, you can easily and subconsciously adjust, faster or slower depending on feel. I also feel learning to pace yourself is one of the most important things to learn about running. I also think it can be disheartening to people who complete c25k on the treadmill and then try to run outside and find it's much harder.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member

I completely disagree, at least for me personally. On the treadmill, I pick a pace (usually overly aggressive) and make myself stick with it. There is no adjustment unless you consciously make the decision to do so. While running outside, you can easily and subconsciously adjust, faster or slower depending on feel. I also feel learning to pace yourself is one of the most important things to learn about running. I also think it can be disheartening to people who complete c25k on the treadmill and then try to run outside and find it's much harder.

I think it really comes down to the person and how you approach the workout. I did almost all of c210k on the treadmill. I completed the entire program with a 4mph (15 min/mile pace). I did a couple (like 2) outside runs, but mainly treadmill. By the time I did my first 5k, I knew exactly how my body felt when running.. and I was able to pace myself better bc of it. I ended up completing the 5k in just under 34 minutes and didn't find running outside "harder." Anyhow, my point is that I'm not sure that there is any right or wrong here, just personal preference.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    I really like C25K but for people who ask me I always recommend doing it on a treadmill.

I'd see that as a good way to put people off running.

RPE is as much an important thing to learn for running out in the real.

I guess I should have provided more detail. I tell them to do the first 3-4 weeks on a treadmill, tell them it's boring as all get out but that it will help give them a baseline. Usually starting with a 2.5-3 mph walk and 4-4.5 for the run, that seems to be a decent starting point for most. From that point gradually transition to outside runs, that way they know they can do it and roughly how fast they should run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Personally I'll take them out for a few guided runs, talk about form, help them establish pacing, breathing and the like.

Ideal is to form a group of there are a few, help encourage one another and get them over the inevitable difficulties.