how to get the courage to go running? :(

Options
i'd really like to start running but i can't ever muster up the courage nor motivation to do it.
i'm way more comfortable exercising in my own home on the exercise bike and skipping and pilates...
in the comfort of my own room i don't have to face the world looking disgusting and sweaty and also the embarrassment if i get tired and have to stop within 10 mins!
but i really want to try this feel that running will really give me a boost and help me to reach my goal.

anyone got any tips? :)

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My advice...just do it!

If you have to stop in 10 minutes and walk, who is going to know? Many folks walk for exercise so it will look that is what you are doing. No one is going to know you were running and couldn't go any further.

I never ran in my life until last August and started with the C25k program. I felt funny and awkward at first but got over it quickly. I just ran in my neighborhood and came home and showered.

I have to say, I am proud of the sweat of my hardwork!
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Do it early in the morning to start out. At least where I live, it is like a ghost town until about 7am.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    C25K worked for me. I was never a runner, started that program last fall and now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Motivation tips? read this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186484-zombie-survival-club

But seriously - I love running now - Its the fastest, funniest way to loose weight in my opinion. I've heard great things about C25K - give it a go!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Just do it!!! I started running indoors on the treadmill. If you can't get to a treadmill go to an area where you are most comfortable! YOu can do it!!
  • lisawalsh2105
    lisawalsh2105 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd also advise downloading the couch to 5km programme from itunes, i am in the middle of completing it, on week six and honestly six weeks ago i never thought i'd be able to run 25mins without stopping!

Best of luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program today!!
  • catmom2cj
    catmom2cj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd run but I started slowly and now am doing C25k program - It was hard to start (still is hard at times) and I feel like I look so clumsy doing it but I feel so much better afterwards.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Use a running path, they're usually in forest preserves. And go at a time of day where there won't be many people. Maybe right after work? Personally, when I run (which is rare because my thighs rub together) I go around 8 and there aren't many people.

Good luck!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program. It starts you out slow and anyone can do it. I've got about 10 people in my family and extended family that are all running now because of the program. If you have to walk, then walk and don't be embarrassed. Even some marathon runners take walk breaks. There are always new challenges and groups starting for C25K as well as just beginning running groups. If having a group of others running motivates you this could be a good option.

I used to be embarrassed about others seeing me running, but I've run a few 5ks and that really helped me. You see so many different people out there running at all different levels and it's really motivating as well.

Feel free to add me as a friend! :smile:
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was WELL over 200lbs. when I started running. Got made fun of by teenage boys and honestly it bothered me at first, but not anymore. Of course I'm at a much healthier weight but worry about you, and you alone. Not what the world thinks of you. I'm now a firm believer that there is anything out there that can't be cured with a good run! Go for it!
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Just go running! Who cares what anyone thinks? Trust me, you will be surprised, in my experience, i get nods of approval and smiles for getting my jiggly frame out there and attempt to do some running. People are generally encouraging, just ignore the idiots!
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy running either, because I am basically a swimmer and it shows when I run...like a fish out of water. So this is what absolutely works for me. I put on a hoodie, put on my ipod, crank the music up as loud as I can stand it and go out and run and pretend like I'm Rocky!! The more covered up I am, the less conspicuous I feel. It's all in your head. Make yourself a stud and go out and run!!
  • TempsDeThe
    Options
    Funny you should say this.. I feel the exact same way! I start creating this inner monolgue where i'm just sure that everyone else at the park is looking at me and comenting on the fact that I can't run. Like you i'm convinced running will do wonders for me and that i might actually enjoy it if I stick to it, but I have yet to commit to running in public. Despite all that, I've got to say just give it a try and go for it! :-) I've has so many ppl tell me that they started running by running for as long as they could, walking a bit, and then running again. And at the end of the day ppl are too focused on their own running or keeping their dog on a leash to even notice much of anything else..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm another Couch to 5k graduate!

No need to worry about stopping after 10 minutes. In fact, if you're new to running, you shouldn't even TRY to run ten minutes straight at first! It'll probably take you weeks before you can run that long.

Lots of people, even people who are seasoned runners, do interval training combining walking and running. I wouldn't call myself "seasoned" yet, but I'm not the least bit shamed if I have to walk for a block or two when out on a run. I walk before I run, and after I run, too. Anyone who sees you stop and walk has no clue if you're stopping because you feel like you're about to keel over (which is MUCH smarter than running UNTIL you keel over!) or if you're just done with your planned workout or interval.
  • Marty3411
    Marty3411 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I had thought about jogging but was too embarrassed. One day when I was walking my loop, I saw someone jogging who looked really out of shape but was trying. That day it just clicked - who cares what I look like in my attempt at jogging. I started jogging that very day. I hope someone sees me jogging and thinks hey if that lady can do it so can I.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Lots of people, even people who are seasoned runners, do interval training combining walking and running. I wouldn't call myself "seasoned" yet, but I'm not the least bit shamed if I have to walk for a block or two when out on a run. I walk before I run, and after I run, too. Anyone who sees you stop and walk has no clue if you're stopping because you feel like you're about to keel over (which is MUCH smarter than running UNTIL you keel over!) or if you're just done with your planned workout or interval.

Its true - In my running club we very rarely to long, steady running - its all interval training! (Most of the group do one long steady run at the weekend).
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Just do it...early in the morning is best because not that many people are out and about...and really who cares what they think about you running...you are worth all the work...remember you are doing this to get healthy and be with your loved ones for a long time...I started to run/jog and I remind myself that all this exercise is helping me to stay healthy longer and fight to live another day without cancer (I am a cancer survivor)...come on girl you CAN do it...it starts with just one step, I belive in you and I don't even know you...
  • ebbward
    ebbward Posts: 7
    Options
    thank you for all your really helpful replies :)

i'm currently checking out the c25k programme now!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said!

And don't worry about taking walk breaks... no one will know, they will think you are doing intervals or that you have completed your run for the day and doing cool down!

Also, have you thought about asking a friend... or even accquaintance to run with you? I was lucky enough to have my dear boyfriend run with me when I first started, then he introduced me to one of his co-workers and we quickly became running buddies. She even ran with me on my first 1/2 marathon, encouraging me the whole way.

Don't worry about how you think you look, because most runners are too concerned about how they might look to notice! :wink: