How long till I have energy from excercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I periodically train for long distance running events (half and full marathons), and I find that as I increase my weekly distance, I get noticeably more tired and hungry. I have to go to bed earlier every night, and usually find that after a long run on the weekend, I tend not to do very much the rest of the day. I don't get energy from my running training, I get tired.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    HIIT style classes are going to be more tiring, especially for beginners. They're
    hyped as burning more calories, especially EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, sometimes called "afterburn" or "revved metabolism" or something).

But here's the deal: They can drain you so much you can't/don't do your normal daily activities (NEAT, non-exercise activity thermogenesis) - chores, errands, non-exercise leisure activities, etc. NEAT is one of our major sources of calorie burn. Reducing NEAT - as it sounds like you may be doing - can wipe out some/most/all the exercise calories.

As a relative beginner, you might want to consider some less intensive "steady state" cardio classes/activities for a big chunk of your workout time, at least until you build up some base stamina/endurance. After you get to "kind of fit", then add in some more intense workouts, but not every day.

Seriously, actual advanced athletes in a large number of sports spend the majority of time on steady-state workouts, partly to allow recovery time from the less-frequent intense workouts. Recovery is where progress happens, and if you're constantly exhausted, you aren't recovering.

If you're unwillingly to back off the intensity even a little for a while, try adding a small well-tolerated carb-y snack in between the two classes. In general, timing of eating makes no difference to us sub-elite athletes. But for a while, I took a kettlebell class right after a spin class. I found that kettlebell, and the rest of my day, went better if I ate something in between, even just a packet of unsweetened applesauce.

You don't have to kill yourself (or even the rest of your daily life) with exercise. It can even be counter-productive. Better to find something that's fun, sustainable, and fits in well with your daily life. That will give you the best total calorie burn, and make life more enjoyable.

Best wishes finding the right formula for you!

That post excercise o2 consumption... Interesting idea... That maybe would explain my o2 saturations dropping below 95% afterwards... I did notice that but wasn't sure why as I wasn't short of breath or anything that would normally be present when I have a spell of desaturation.

Also a good idea about a small snack between classes. I usually haven't eaten before I go and get time so late that I eat very lightly before bed but I do tend to eat a little more at lunch on the days I have the classes.
  • Paschen81
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You were commenting in another thread about reducing sugar, including natural sugars in fruit. Some people find that these carbs can be an important source of energy, particularly when engaging in a strenuous workout routine. You might need to be open to playing around with that.

Yes I don't limit my sugars anymore... Ok well yeah I do but nowhere near as strictly as I use to. I was just curious about limits others used as I felt the NS progran was too strict in their limits.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    depends. I always had issues with energy and exercise doesnt make any difference in my energy levels.for you it may or may not. no one can sayif you are utterly drained though you may not be getting enough calories to fuel these exercises. hiit should not be done on the same day as another exercise class as if its true hiit it will sap your energy for awhile.also when starting a new exercise you will retain water to help repair muscles. so the gain could be water retention.

Actually, the initial weight gain isn't water retention. Most initial weight gain is due to your muscles getting broken down and rebuilt larger than before the stimulus. This rebuilding process requires protein, which consists of amino acids used as the "building blocks" of muscle anabolism. For a beginner, any form of exercise will build larger muscle tissue. Even though fat loss can occur at the same time, muscle weighs more than fat...hence, overall weight gain even while becoming healthier. When providing consistent stimulus this weight gain will plateau as your muscles can only become as large as your genetics allow. At that point you should notice the pounds coming off in the form of fat catabolism, or fat breakdown. Keep in mind that studies have shown repeatedly that the number one thing which determines long term fitness is consistency! Keep up the good work.

weight gain when first starting a workout is usually water retention to help heal muscle . as woman will not build muscle that quickly especially doing hiit or some type of cardio.you are not going to gain the same amount in muscle as you lost in fat to where it causes a plateau. it doesnt work that way..

sure you can get newbie gains if new to lifting but for most women its not going to be a big amount as we dont have the testosterone to build as quickly as men.gaining muscle for the most part requires even when building muscle in a surplus its not going to be a 1:1 ration and you gain fat when building muscle in a surplus. and she is in a deficit so its even harder to build muscle in a deficit.

fat is also lost in a deficit. if recomping you can gain some muscle and lose some fat but again its not going to be a 1:1 ratio,not to mention it takes a LONG time to recomp. 2 weeks is NOT going to yield enough muscle to where someone plateaus their weight. which is why many people do bulk and cut cycles when building muscle.
  • Bradleydagen
    Bradleydagen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    depends. I always had issues with energy and exercise doesnt make any difference in my energy levels.for you it may or may not. no one can sayif you are utterly drained though you may not be getting enough calories to fuel these exercises. hiit should not be done on the same day as another exercise class as if its true hiit it will sap your energy for awhile.also when starting a new exercise you will retain water to help repair muscles. so the gain could be water retention.

Actually, the initial weight gain isn't water retention. Most initial weight gain is due to your muscles getting broken down and rebuilt larger than before the stimulus. This rebuilding process requires protein, which consists of amino acids used as the "building blocks" of muscle anabolism. For a beginner, any form of exercise will build larger muscle tissue. Even though fat loss can occur at the same time, muscle weighs more than fat...hence, overall weight gain even while becoming healthier. When providing consistent stimulus this weight gain will plateau as your muscles can only become as large as your genetics allow. At that point you should notice the pounds coming off in the form of fat catabolism, or fat breakdown. Keep in mind that studies have shown repeatedly that the number one thing which determines long term fitness is consistency! Keep up the good work.

weight gain when first starting a workout is usually water retention to help heal muscle . as woman will not build muscle that quickly especially doing hiit or some type of cardio.you are not going to gain the same amount in muscle as you lost in fat to where it causes a plateau. it doesnt work that way..

sure you can get newbie gains if new to lifting but for most women its not going to be a big amount as we dont have the testosterone to build as quickly as men.gaining muscle for the most part requires even when building muscle in a surplus its not going to be a 1:1 ration and you gain fat when building muscle in a surplus. and she is in a deficit so its even harder to build muscle in a deficit.

fat is also lost in a deficit. if recomping you can gain some muscle and lose some fat but again its not going to be a 1:1 ratio,not to mention it takes a LONG time to recomp. 2 weeks is NOT going to yield enough muscle to where someone plateaus their weight. which is why many people do bulk and cut cycles when building muscle.

Clearly...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Clearly...

she said she started working out 2 weeks ago. soooo and she wasnt asking about muscle or anything she was asking when she would have energy and that she gained. it doesnt mean its muscle not to mention most people when they state they are gaining are usually eating more than they think ,have water retention,its that time of the month,waste and so on. many come back to say they lost weight a week or so later.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It gives me a mental boost, but it doesn't give me energy.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I'm always wiped after doing a workout, especially the intense ones.
    BUT I notice I recover a lot faster now, back to full energy within half an hour easily if not within a few minutes. I also find that during the day I have more energy and ability to do challenging tasks, such as squatting and holding that position.

I figure THATS what is meant by "more energy" when you exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If several big workouts and I haven't logged eating to confirm I ate enough - dead tired.

That's the body's response - slow you down. Sleeping works pretty good in that regard.

So while the workout may be good transformation for the body and heart health - it is doing little or nothing for burning more calories to allow eating more.

If eating the same and workouts increased - not good idea for long run as observed.
  • Paschen81
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If several big workouts and I haven't logged eating to confirm I ate enough - dead tired.

That's the body's response - slow you down. Sleeping works pretty good in that regard.

So while the workout may be good transformation for the body and heart health - it is doing little or nothing for burning more calories to allow eating more.

If eating the same and workouts increased - not good idea for long run as observed.

I'm confused... First you stare that the body's response is to slow down you down that it does nothing to allow you to eat more but then the next statement you say if eating the same and workouts increase its not good...

So increase excercise but don't eat more followed by if you don't eat more when increasing exercise it's not good... *scratches head*

So... I've been eating 1400 per day pretty consistently (yes I have a day here or there where I eat closer to 1800 like my birthday, or a friend's wedding) so when I started to do these classes... I figured the calorie burn given by mfp was WAY off. There is NO way burning almost 1000 calories is possible... So I figured it was a at least half that 500 or so... And ate back half of that at 200 so that on workout days I ate 1600 and non workout days 1400.

So should I or should I not be doing that?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I was stating what the body does if you don't eat enough for your level of activity - body slows you down to compensate so overall you aren't as active anymore.
    Seen that happen within 2 days.
    I was stating what I have personally seen myself and others.

So if sleeping extra 3-4 hrs in the afternoon allows you to meet your goals and stuff you need to do, and you don't want to eat more - problem fixed.

If you'd rather not be wiped out so bad - eat more, so body can burn more by being more active.

So to be clear.

Increase exercise but don't eat more - results I'd consider negative.

Don't eat more when increasing exercise is not good - matches that comment.

When you consider the burn given by MFP are you being honest with the time.
    Like if an aerobics class is 60 min long and you log it as such - is the full 60 min really the intensity of the normal class.
    Or is 5 min warmup, and 5 min cooldown, and 5 min stretching - so really only a 45 min class?
    Or is time spent waiting for a demo of moves several times through the class prior to you attempting it?

While a 1000 cal/hr burn is possible, it's rarely done for a full hour, just not sustainable, perhaps 15 min at most.
    What entry are you using?

And 50% is perhaps overkill, and then you are dropping another 50% it sounds like.
    So by %, what is your deficit from avg TDEE to eating level of 1500?
    50% - that's huge and no wonder body won't be happy.
    30% - that's huge too unless 100 lbs to lose.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The cycle for increased strength and stamina (which is how I interpret increased energy) is as follows:
    1. Work harder than you are used to on a particular system. It might be a set of muscles and/or the cardiovascular system.
    2. The body goes in to recovery mode, the heart gets stronger the lungs more efficient, and the muscles swell.
    3. While you rest and recover, you are rebuilding.
    4. Repeat

If you interrupt this cycle in any way, such as underfeeding the exercise or interrupting the recovery cycle, you will actually get weaker. Your body will be pirating calories from one part of your body to feed another, or it simply won't have time to rebuild.

If you are spending more than one hour on intensive exercise, expect to be sleepy/tired afterwards.

If you figure you are burning 500 extra calories, eat 500 calories back. You are still in a deficit.

Don't underestimate the value of rest days.
  • Paschen81
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I was stating what the body does if you don't eat enough for your level of activity - body slows you down to compensate so overall you aren't as active anymore.
    Seen that happen within 2 days.
    I was stating what I have personally seen myself and others.

So if sleeping extra 3-4 hrs in the afternoon allows you to meet your goals and stuff you need to do, and you don't want to eat more - problem fixed.

If you'd rather not be wiped out so bad - eat more, so body can burn more by being more active.

So to be clear.

Increase exercise but don't eat more - results I'd consider negative.

Don't eat more when increasing exercise is not good - matches that comment.

When you consider the burn given by MFP are you being honest with the time.
    Like if an aerobics class is 60 min long and you log it as such - is the full 60 min really the intensity of the normal class.
    Or is 5 min warmup, and 5 min cooldown, and 5 min stretching - so really only a 45 min class?
    Or is time spent waiting for a demo of moves several times through the class prior to you attempting it?

While a 1000 cal/hr burn is possible, it's rarely done for a full hour, just not sustainable, perhaps 15 min at most.
    What entry are you using?

And 50% is perhaps overkill, and then you are dropping another 50% it sounds like.
    So by %, what is your deficit from avg TDEE to eating level of 1500?
    50% - that's huge and no wonder body won't be happy.
    30% - that's huge too unless 100 lbs to lose.

The class is 60 minutes. 3 minutes of warm up, 3 minutes cool down, 3 minutes stretching, 3 minutes on floor routine... So far it's consisted of pelvic bridges 10 lifts with the last one held for 10 seconds or (don't know the real names) your in all fours you lift one leg behind and above you 2 times then out to the side up and down 2 times then switch legs and repeat until the song is done... It's paced to the beat of the song anaconda. The rest of the time is spent on your feet doing different moves to different songs like throwing punches, leg kicks, running, jumping, squatting, and other more fast paced dance moves incorporated throughout. You have 2 to 5 seconds between songs to get a drink.

Because there isn't an entry for it and because it is similar (though more intense than the zumba class after grooves) to zumba I used the zumba entry however... The entry has almost 1000 calories so I edit it down to between 500 to 700 depending on what my average heart rate was for the session. Usually around 168 average but a couple of the classes had my max rate at 210. My post rate after cool down and stretching is usually around 140. And yes I have between 150 and 165 pounds to lose. Oh the joys of being tall AND fat.

That said... The 2nd Saturday class I forced myself to stay awake... Very hard to do the first couple hours but the drowsiness did dissapate after a couple hours and I was able to get my chores done... Just didn't sleep well that night but that could been my normal insomnia kicking in not necessarily due to the excercise or staying awake after. As for not eating back "all" my excercise calories... I've seen more posts saying to only eat back half if you are needing to lose and all when in maintenence... So that's what I did.

I also gained again but again I contribute it to the excercise... I've been soo sore the past week and then Saturday and Sunday my hip hurt bad enough to make me limp... Thankfully stopped hurting so bad today. So I know I'm going to be holding more water... I've muy compression socks on this whole weekend but still have some water retention in my ankles no where near as much as Thursday after class... My skin felt so tight that night and didn't go down overnight so the compression socks went on.