How much is enough exercise?

Options
Since hitting a normal weight, I'm deciding to try a body recomp, since I'm a tad "skinny fat".

Due to illness, I can't get to the gym just yet, so I've opted for buying weights and doing at home routines.

I'm using fitness blender videos that are anywhere from like 20-25 minutes. How many days a week should I do these to yield results? I did an arm/chest one today and felt exhausted after the 20 minutes, so it definitely got my heart going and my arms were sore.

If I'm doing an arm day, a core day, and a leg day, would working these body parts twice a week be enough? Or should I do more/less? Is 20 minutes enough? This is my first time with weight training so I'm just a little bit of a novice!

Thank you!

Replies

• concetta1123
    concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm familiar with a recomp thanks to the people on here! I'm currently eating to lose half a pound a week, so there's also that info!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Probably get more responses in the maintaining weight or fitness forums. But the short answer is as much as you actually will do.

I'm either at the gym or running around the neighbourhood 5 days a week and started swimming lessons this morning, so that will be 1 day a week and one day where I'm a lazy *puppy*.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Recomp takes patience. Keep doing what you're doing then add more when you can. A specific training program like SL5x5 would be beneficial when you are able.
  • slayerSamanosuke
    Options
    According to science 40 to around 50 min is optimal. Don’t waste time you don’t need to work out all day but you do need to put in effort for best results. I often work out a little longer however to squeeze out a few more calories.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Recomp is less about getting your heart rate up and more about resistance/weight progressively increasing over time. I think 3x per week full body is great for beginners.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I started getting recomping results when I started weight training. I lift with a group of ladies now 3x a week
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    According to science 40 to around 50 min is optimal. Don’t waste time you don’t need to work out all day but you do need to put in effort for best results. I often work out a little longer however to squeeze out a few more calories.

"40 to 50 minutes" is optimal for what? It matters what your goals are and what you're doing in the gym. I've seen people spend two hours in there and not accomplish much of anything, I've seen others who knock out a good, constructive workout in 30 minutes.

"Long enough" for a workout is however long it takes to get it done. In the OP's situation, taking his/her stated goals into consideration, he/she would probably be best served by doing a well designed full-body strength workout three times per week, progressively increasing the resistance/load as possible.