Quinoa daily for 30 days!

Options
Hi! I like the texture of quinoa but don't eat it much and had the thought, 'I'm going to try to eat it everyday for 30 days', I'd love to have anyone who would like to do this join me! Quinoa is a good carb and I find it staves off hunger better than a lot of foods while still being low calorie. The only rule I'm going by is to eat 1 serving of quinoa daily for 30 days(a month), I will check in on here for updates on the journey. Feel free to add me as a friend, my username is jordan029. Most quinoa servings are 1/4 cup dry which makes 1/2 cup cooked for about 150 calories. Flavored or unflavored, on salads or mixed with veggies, or just plain, I'm trying this idea for a month because I think it'll make my diet and hopefully weight loss better. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I really like quinoa...I would probably hate it if I ate it everyday for 30 days.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I like your mug shot! But I don't like quinoa, I'm afraid. But I am eating liver paté for 19 days straight. I'm not eating it for any other reasons than that I like it and that I need three boxes to get an even number of grams per serving.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I like your mug shot! .....

I saw what you did there. :p

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You might want to post this in the Challenges subforum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Why would you force yourself to eat something every day for 30 days?

That seems a bit weird to me. I can see challenging yourself to NOT eat something for 30 days...but TO eat something for 30 days...don't quite get that.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    This is probably better suited to the Food subforum, but I say go for it! It'll be a creative challenge to prepare quinoa in different ways to keep it interesting. Good luck!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Why would you force yourself to eat something every day for 30 days?

That seems a bit weird to me. I can see challenging yourself to NOT eat something for 30 days...but TO eat something for 30 days...don't quite get that.

If it's pizza or ice-cream, I totally get it.
  • Jordan029
    Jordan029 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the responses, I guess it's an unpopular idea! I just thought it helps keep me full more than quick highly processed grains and it's versatile enough to eat for breakfast or any other time of day so I think I can do 30 days. Also it's considered a superfood. I respect your thoughts and input. Maybe I will end up hating it by day 30 but it's just an experiment I'm going to try to see if it helps with weight loss. If I replace it instead of eating stuff like chips, crackers, white rice, etc. it's a good substitute for that junk that leaves me unsatisfied and hungry. Haha, thanks for the mug shot comment. I love fall and pumpkin spice everything!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That title made me throw up a little in my mouth. but I also hate Quinoa.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I never eat a food I can't pronounce. :|

I've got such a freaking mental block for this one, my spouse is always teasing me about it. Of course, he pronounces Joaquin "Joe-quinn."
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Jordan029 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for the responses, I guess it's an unpopular idea! I just thought it helps keep me full more than quick highly processed grains and it's versatile enough to eat for breakfast or any other time of day so I think I can do 30 days. Also it's considered a superfood. I respect your thoughts and input. Maybe I will end up hating it by day 30 but it's just an experiment I'm going to try to see if it helps with weight loss. If I replace it instead of eating stuff like chips, crackers, white rice, etc. it's a good substitute for that junk that leaves me unsatisfied and hungry. Haha, thanks for the mug shot comment. I love fall and pumpkin spice everything!

Pumpkin spice quinoa.

Nope, just can't picture it. :D

Seriously though, I like it but would get really sick of it at around day 4.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Jordan029 wrote: »

There are a lot of other great substitutes that can provide for some variety. I love quinoa..but I also love lentils...I love various bean varieties...I enjoy a nice wild rice pilaf...faro is rather nice, particularly in soups and stews or as part of a cold salad...potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables make for a solid, healthy carb side, etc, etc, etc...

Also, "superfood" is just a marketing gimmick and the list is always and forever changing...I pretty much consider most any whole food a "superfood."

I don't see the benefit in eating something that is healthy to the point that you loath it in the end...