Quick, Easy, Healthy Breakfast Ideas?

Options

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/345

I swear by this recipe... I soak the oats overnight (in water or in milk) and cut the fruit up the night before. In the am, I stir the oats, top with nuts and cut up fruit. Easy peasy, delicious and customizable to your tastes.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What I had for breakfast this morning:

2 egg omelet with a little kraft taco cheese inside, topped with 2 tbsp of medium salsa.

It takes like 5 mins to make. Just a hair over 200 calories and freakin delicious! You don't have to do the omelet, you could do scrambled eggs, dump them into a cup, top with a little cheese and salsa - BOOM portable breakfast. Heck, I'm pretty sure you could even cook the eggs in a cup in the microwave.

Couple that with maybe a banana and a piece of toast and you've got a killer, portable breakfast in less than 5 minutes.
  • bethannhartley
    Options
    I agree w/ the protein shakes...but I get sick of them after a few days in a row! LOL! I teach too so am a grab and go girl. I crack 2 eggs in a mug and micro them till they are cooked..about a minute. They are easy to eat in the car cuz the mug has a handle to hold. I fix oatmeal that way, too, in the coffee mug. I thrown in chopped apple slices, crasins and a handful of walnuts. Yummy!!!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Fry or scramble some eggs.

Or, hard boil them in advance.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I like to make a bunch of hard boiled eggs on the weekend, and then eat them for breakfast on the weekdays.

I also like to eat greek yogurt for breakfast.

Anything that has protein and comes easy is what I reach for. If I don't get much protein, I'll be hungry again 10 minutes later, so I try to find something filling.
  • belindablanks
    belindablanks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    These are wonderful ideas. Thank you so much for sharing.
  • stephiebam
    stephiebam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Lean Pockets would also be a great idea. They only take 2 minutes to heat up, are easy to eat on the go, and are filling. That's what I eat on the run. :smile:
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Options
    It's the end of the summer which means I have to go back to work next week?????

So I need some help...

During the school year I have to wake up at 5am so I can "prettify" and leave by 6. This doesn't give me much time to eat. Last year I would grab a piece of bread to eat on my way out the door. I would be starving by "lunch" at 9:36 and then be even more hungry when I got home at 3:30. I think if I can get some QUICK, EASY, and HEALTHY breakfast ideas for my next trip to the grocery store, I will do a much better job in staying on this "journey."

Help???

Your signature just completely remodeled my entire outlook on weight loss and my ultimate goal.
    :] Thank you.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    On a normal day I scramble a couple of eggs, toast a light english muffin and have some yogurt or cottage cheese but I always keep some sort of frozen ham/egg/cheese breakfast sandwiches (like Jimmy Dean) in the freezer just in case I'm running behind.
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another idea - Morning Glory Muffins.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/morning-glory-muffins-2/detail.aspx
    They have fruit, nuts, and are super yummy! It is easy to make them a wee bit heathier by using whole wheat flour or adding bran, etc. The recipe makes a ton, but they freeze well. I calculated that the ones I make are about 100 calories each. (and a tip: If you aren't a big fan of nuts in your muffins, chop them up in a food processor before adding them. They add a great flavor and protein!)
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    An easy thing for me is Carnation Breakfast Essentials. I prefer the ones that I mix up myself with skim milk as opposed to the bottles you can buy. It's quick, filling, and it helps satisfy my chocolate craving. It also makes sure I get the calcium I need. I do use more than the 8 ounces of milk the directions say because I find that I just need more, but I account for the additional in calories.

I have this for breakfast almost every weekday morning and then vary it up more on the weekends.
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I keep a baggie of chopped onions and peppers in the freezer, and I keep my whole wheat sandwich thins frozen also. When I'm ready for breakfast I take a spoonful or so of the frozen onions/peppers and put in a ramekin and pop it into the microwave for about 20 seconds. While waiting for that I put a sandwich thin into the toaster. Walk back to the microwave, take out the ramekin and crack an egg into it, add salt and pepper and whisk it briefly. Put it in the microwave for 45 seconds, take sandwich thin out of toaster, take ramekin out of microwave and dump the eggs into the bun, and go! It takes longer to write it than it does to do it, and it's good, hot, and filling. I usually grab a piece of fruit, too -- lately it's been figs since that's what I've got right now.
  • RoseBlanc
    Options
    Oops! In response to the original post:

scoop of protein powder (I prefer chocolate flavored.)
    One banana.
    6oz greek yogurt.
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1/4 cup water
    3/4 cup crushed ice (or 7-8 cubes)
    -- blend it up, stick it in a smoothie/protein shake bottle & go!
    :D
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Scramble some eggs or fry them in either olive oil (Extra Virgin) or Coconut oil, then throw them between some stone ground bread (Ezikiel 4:9 bread is widely available) this is a complete protien and will keep you full until 9 - 10 and is VERY low on the calorie scale for an entire meal.

EDIT - also try to get grain fed Omega 3 eggs, this reduces your omega 3-6 ratio which should sit at about 1-1, the average american is at about 1-23.
  • tmhaines
    Options
    kacee - can you tell me more about the making oatmeal ahead of time and the portions for the protein shake. I am not an egg eater and was looking for other ideas for breakfast. I had been eating oatmeal but some mornings I am too rushed to make it but if I only have to reheat? Or I like the option of the shake also.

Thanks for sharing
  • tmhaines
    Options
    where can I find the slow cooker recipe?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is a cup of greek yogurt with a little granola and fruit in it and a piece of peanut butter toast or a piece of fruit. Works out to be around 300-450 calories depending on how heavy I go with the PB.

Goes around 25-30g of protein too.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    It's the end of the summer which means I have to go back to work next week?????

So I need some help...

During the school year I have to wake up at 5am so I can "prettify" and leave by 6. This doesn't give me much time to eat. Last year I would grab a piece of bread to eat on my way out the door. I would be starving by "lunch" at 9:36 and then be even more hungry when I got home at 3:30. I think if I can get some QUICK, EASY, and HEALTHY breakfast ideas for my next trip to the grocery store, I will do a much better job in staying on this "journey."

Help???

Your signature just completely remodeled my entire outlook on weight loss and my ultimate goal.
    :] Thank you.

Thank you!!! I'm so glad to know that I'm not psycho in my "the scale is EVIL" mentality!!!
  • RoseBlanc
    Options
    Thank you!!! I'm so glad to know that I'm not psycho in my "the scale is EVIL" mentality!!!

Absolutely not! Theres a lot of logic in that- if you go off of a pants size you can deviate 6-8 pounds and not really show it. It gives you a guide line rather than one specific number to go off of.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Blueberries or blackberries
    Slice of dry, 100% whole-grain toasted bread with 2 slices of 99% fat free turkey breast
    Tomato
    Hot tea (no sugar)