What's the first healthy thing you did on your weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I thought the first healthy thing I did was start moving again. But since the question specifically addressed "weight loss 'journey' (hate that word), the real first healthy thing I did was start tracking food intake.

A very close second, but since the particular action isn't necessarily healthy it may not count, is that I posted on a thread here in MFP. For me, that became a sort of habit. When I visit the forums, I can't not log my food....Now it's habit. Strange...I know.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cut out the soda, started drinking water.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Cut out soda. Haven't had a soda in over a year.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Started weighing, measuring and counting.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Options
    I quit eating sugar. Although, it was because I'm a diabetic and sugar seems to make neuropathy worse.

As someone who works in healthcare this makes me very happy
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I quit eating sugar. Although, it was because I'm a diabetic and sugar seems to make neuropathy worse.

@Agent_Freckles, can I ask you something? Do you know if sugar consumption always affect neuropathy, despite the cause? I have it in my hands, but not from diabetes; it's from chemo. I've never heard / been told about an association with sugar. Just curious.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Learned what a healthy portion size is and ate only that much, drank only water. Bought exercise dvd and did them.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    When you decide you wanted to lose weight what was the first healthy thing you did?

Genuinely... I turned down a biscuit. Then cakes in the office. Then I started cutting fats and carbs down to just what I needed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The first purposeful thing I did when I decided to lose weight was to google for an on-line food diary tool.

You can find people on this site who would swear that I haven't done anything healthy yet. I'm not here to argue with anyone, just point out that I've lost weight using the food diary as an educational tool to actually make my brain think about the stuffing in my mouth.

Actually, that was only the first thing this time in January 2016. In January 2000, the first healthy thing I did was that I decided to try to live to 100 years and the first order of business was to stop eating so much. At that time I stopped a lot of drive through eating and a lot of eating constantly while commuting in my car.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I only came to MFP because my family suggested that I need to know how much I was eating a day to gain the weight I was at the time.

I found this app.! So I would say creating an account in MFP, following and sticking to the process.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    murph155 wrote: »

@Agent_Freckles, can I ask you something? Do you know if sugar consumption always affect neuropathy, despite the cause? I have it in my hands, but not from diabetes; it's from chemo. I've never heard / been told about an association with sugar. Just curious.

I'm also curious to know this. I have mild neuropathy in my feet. I'm on Topamax for it and appetite suppression (to counteract the psych drugs in on for bipolar disorder, what fun!). It's so mild that I only noticr it when I think about it, like now. :grin:

I am diabetic, but haven't been great about sugar. I have recently given it up except for very special occasions (birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and major celebrations). I haven't noticed a correlation, but I haven't looked for one.

• Agent_Freckles
    edited September 2017
    Options

This is a complicated question, but if you have CIPN, sugar can affect your nerves and *can* make the pain worse. Alcohol can also make it worse, and can do damage to your nerves. But if you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic I wouldn't overthink the sugar aspect, but also don't go over recommended daily sugar allowances.

For those who are diabetic, yes, high blood sugar (anything over 140ish post meal) is definitely going to make the neuropathy worse.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Logging.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Started exercising for 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening, most days of the week. That way, I really couldn't justify not doing it. Once that became routine, I added 5 minutes to each session. I went from hating exercise to having trouble fitting everything that I love to do in: skating, lifting, bicycling, hiking, yoga...Not enough days in the week!

Tracking everything I eat was key, too. I just had no concept of portion sizes, calories, etc. I still resist the reality of this, but have gotten much better over the years!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The first healthy thing I did was moving to fresh whole foods while abandoning, sugar, soda, fast food, and highly processed food. The best change I've ever made.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options

This is a complicated question, but if you have CIPN, sugar can affect your nerves and *can* make the pain worse. Alcohol can also make it worse, and can do damage to your nerves. But if you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic I wouldn't overthink the sugar aspect, but also don't go over recommended daily sugar allowances.

For those who are diabetic, yes, high blood sugar (anything over 140ish post meal) is definitely going to make the neuropathy worse.

Thanks for the info @Agent_Freckles! I'm trying to get my sugars down that low after I eat. I'm closer than I was (180s, down from 250s), but I know there's still room for improvement.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym, gave up soda and stopped eating out for lunch during the week all at the same time.

A couple of weeks in, I started logging calories, not here, but by hand in a notebook. I was working with a personal trainer and we tweaked it every week to see what I could do better.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started bringing my lunch to work everyday. I used to eat out, it was expensive and very high calorie. It was actually eye opening figuring out how many calories were in my typical lunch (900-1400 calories).