Scared to up Calorie intake - 196lbs/88.6kg

Options
Hey guys & gals

I know this will have been asked many'a times before but....

I've been advised that I need to UP my calorie intake for the amount of exercise I do a week.
I have been on a deficit for years now upping and lowering as and when I wish dependant on events & training.

I haven't ever been back to maintenance as I have been trying to lose more weight but failing due to slip ups or trying to lose quicker etc. I understand my weekends can be atrocious, which needs to stop but putting that a side my trainer has advised for me to eat around 2000 calories (from 1600-1700) but this seems so scary!!! Please note I do not eat any extra calories burned.

I know this may help me sort out my weekends a little as I can then still enjoy some free time but it frightens the life out of me that I might gain weight whilst trying it out.

Has anyone else around 196lbs/88.6kg and on high calories (inc working out 4x pw)?
Is 1700 calories really too low to lift weights & workout?

Any advice for this 'chunky miss 'wine' piggy that hasn't lost weight for a while' appreciated B)<3

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started at 289.5lb and lost my weight while eating 2000+ Calories a day. I've lifted 3x week throughout the last 18 months along with running, high intensity classes and PT sessions and if I didn't eat at that level I wouldn't have been able to fuel all the activity I love. And that's the important thing, to fuel the activity and now I'm maintaining I'm eating 3000+ Calories on some days.

While I know some people eat 1700 and do everything, I couldn't, I love my food too much. But if you're not losing weight at that level then there is most likely something off with your logging (or your weekends are negating any deficit during the week). It's entirely possible that by upping your base Calories you'll curb the desire to binge at the weekend. Try weighing and logging everything that passes your lips for a couple of weeks, including at weekends and then looking at what your average daily/weekly intake and deficit is. Once you accurately know where you are with what you're eating then you can look at tweaking how much you eat.
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input.

I started a few years ago at 220lbs losing 24lbs and since been maintaining majority of the time but now want to lose a little more. I always thought once I got to a UK14 I'd be where I want to be but now I look at myself and want to lose a little more tummy or tone up my arms more. We are just never happy.

Well I am happy, that's one thing I can admit! I am so much healthier mentally and love working out now. I have made friends for life at the gym and just love being me now, but again want to lose some more *kitten*.. well I actually like my *kitten* but you know what I mean ;)

Yes I agree I need to log my weekends accurately even if it means looking back and feeling disgusted in myself! I will try my hardest this weekend to start logging them properly as I have nothing planned so it will be a good time to start. I am great at logging in the week but I guess just let myself down. You see I am a party girl and love a drink but I suppose I need to ask myself if that delicious melt in the mouth popping candy dairy milk is worth it! It doesn't help that my Mr eats what he wants!!!

I think I need to input some carbs into my lunches too as I am knackered all the time. I still workout the same but sometimes I just haven't the energy.

Sorry for the life storey... should of just given myself a kick up the *kitten* and said thanks lol xx
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    So you say you've been in a deficit, but your weekends are bad, but you're trying and failing to lose weight? Are you currently losing or not?

If you are currently losing, you're in a deficit. If you are not losing, you are averaging out to maintenance. It sounds like your training is saying that if you up your weekday calories, you might not go overboard on the weekends. It may help you to think of your calories as weekly calories.

As for, "Is 1,700 to low to lift weights and work out?" It depends on your goals and whether you are actually neting anywhere close to that. You can't build muscle in a calorie deficit, for example, so if your goal is to build muscle, you won't do it on that much, or even on 2,000 before subtracting out cardio.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    TLB86 wrote: »
    Hey guys & gals

I've been advised that I need to UP my calorie intake for the amount of exercise I do a week.
    I have been on a deficit for years now upping and lowering as and when I wish dependant on events & training.

I haven't ever been back to maintenance as I have been trying to lose more weight but failing due to slip ups or trying to lose quicker etc. I understand my weekends can be atrocious, which needs to stop but putting that a side my trainer has advised for me to eat around 2000 calories (from 1600-1700) but this seems so scary!!! Please note I do not eat any extra calories burned.

I know this may help me sort out my weekends a little as I can then still enjoy some free time but it frightens the life out of me that I might gain weight whilst trying it out.

Has anyone else around 196lbs/88.6kg and on high calories (inc working out 4x pw)?

Any advice for this 'chunky miss 'wine' piggy that hasn't lost weight for a while' appreciated B)<3

How tall are you? We need that for context.

I'm 5'6" - 1700 gross calories at @ 200 pounds while I'm active would be way too low, and could definitely contribute to binging on the weekend, which could easily result in no weight loss.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Height will be pretty crucial.

I'm 5'7". Tried to cut down to 1,300/day but ended up eating over on the weekends and not losing for a couple of weeks. Upped it to 1,500/day and have started losing again, because I'm not going over on the weekends (more sustainable).

I'm also recovering from an injury, so am not exercising as much. Prior to that I lost about 35 pounds in roughly 3 months eating closer to 2,000/day.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on 2000 calories a day, period. I've had times in my life where I was losing a pound a day on 2,700 calories a day diet and I'm only 5'6". It just depends on how many calories you are burning with your exercise regimen. Michael Phelps ate 10,000 calories a day when preparing for the Olympics and he didn't look fat, did he?
  • TLB86
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all replies so far.

I am 5ft6.5 (that half matters lol) at 196lb. Workout below.

Yes I can be awful with weekends but with the amount of exercise I do I might I'd still lose. I've tallied all calories for the past week and divided between 7 and they work out to 1875 a day which is still a deficit.

My workout
    Monday - Bootcamp 45min
    TUES - HIIT 60min or rest day
    WED - Compound weights workout 80min
    Thurs - Compound weights workout 40min or run 40min and Spin 45min
    FRI - Rest
    SAT - Compound weights workout 80min and 20min cardio
    Sun - Rest

1) I am not losing momentarily
    2) My goal is to lose fat/weight. I have a belly on me still and slight wings so would like to reduce those.

I understand some people will think I'm just being retarded about what I'm doing and need a kick up the aris but I do work my *kitten* off! It's frustrating. YES YES I need to rein some weekends in but surely I'm not being THAT pathetic am I?

My trainer says you should be able to eat what you want as long as you put the work in. He does. So much out there and I just wanna start from scratch and lose another 7lb to start.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yes I can be awful with weekends but with the amount of exercise I do I might I'd still lose. I've tallied all calories for the past week and divided between 7 and they work out to 1875 a day which is still a deficit.

My workout
    Monday - Bootcamp 45min
    FRI - Rest
    Sun - Rest

2) My goal is to lose fat/weight. I have a belly on me still and slight wings so would like to reduce those.

I understand some people will think I'm just being retarded about what I'm doing and need a kick up the aris but I do work my *kitten* off! It's frustrating. YES YES I need to rein some weekends in but surely I'm not being THAT pathetic am I?

My trainer says you should be able to eat what you want as long as you put the work in. He does. So much out there and I just wanna start from scratch and lose another 7lb to start.

you can eat what you want, but you cant eat as much as you want when it comes to weight loss. to lose weight you need to be in a deficit. and why are you doing 2 days of compound weights back to back? as for belly and wings you cant spot reduce fat so it will come off when it wants where it wants. working your *kitten* off and overeating on weekends is probably whats causing you NOT to lose weight as it can kick you out of a deficit. especially if you dont weigh your food on a food scale and have no idea how much you are eating.

you cannot out train a bad diet IE:overeating and or bingeing-(not saying you do that). you also need to fuel your body and your workouts. If you have been in a deficit for years you need to take a diet break for a few weeks and eat at maintenance. you probably are seeing the effects of adaptive thermogenesis from being in a deficit so long.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft4.5in and currently at 197. I've lost 15 lbs over the last 40+ days. I started out eating to lose 2 lbs a week (~1500 cals) and found that I wasn't eating enough to keep me satiated. Also my deficit was impacting my workouts. After my first 12lbs, I upped it to 1 lb a week (~1750 cals) and I feel much better now. I'm actually losing at the same rate (1.5-2lbs a week) and I'm staying on track through the weekend.
  • TLB86
    Options

My workout
    Monday - Bootcamp 45min
    FRI - Rest
    Sun - Rest

you can eat what you want, but you cant eat as much as you want when it comes to weight loss. to lose weight you need to be in a deficit. and why are you doing 2 days of compound weights back to back? as for belly and wings you cant spot reduce fat so it will come off when it wants where it wants. working your *kitten* off and overeating on weekends is probably whats causing you NOT to lose weight as it can kick you out of a deficit. especially if you dont weigh your food on a food scale and have no idea how much you are eating.

you cannot out train a bad diet IE:overeating and or bingeing-(not saying you do that). you also need to fuel your body and your workouts. If you have been in a deficit for years you need to take a diet break for a few weeks and eat at maintenance. you probably are seeing the effects of adaptive thermogenesis from being in a deficit so long.

I don't necessarily binge (I no you wasn't implying that) but I can tend to eat the wrong foods at weekends especially as my Mr doesn't diet or train. It's hard seeing him eat a bar of chocolate whilst I miss out, which I know is losing focus on what I want.

It'd be nice to know what calories to start a fresh on including workout calories. I don't like this add them separately as I do my use a fitbit etc.

Oh I understand too that you can't spot point where to lose weight I just meant if one to lose my stomach so assume I have to lose more weight to help with it.

As for my workout, I work flat out and the b2b compound is because I can't get it in another day. Unless I rest Wed and change it to Tues. I love my classes you see so try and fit weights around that. I've only been lifting heavier for the past month.

I know I frustrate you guys because I frustrate myself. I've just lost sight of calories. Sorry, I'm an awesome person really lol x
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hey guys & gals

If you have been logging consistently for a few months, then your best bet is to throw the weight data and calories into a spreadsheet, and compare the ~1 month or so weight change to the average daily calories (use net calories if your exercise amount has changed) and calculate your maintenance. Then deduct off a reasonable deficit for how much weight you have left to lose.

Otherwise, check the estimate that MFP gives you for maintenance for your stats, add your average daily exercise burn, and deduct off a reasonable deficit.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree I need to log my weekends accurately even if it means looking back and feeling disgusted in myself! I will try my hardest this weekend to start logging them properly as I have nothing planned so it will be a good time to start. I am great at logging in the week but I guess just let myself down. You see I am a party girl and love a drink but I suppose I need to ask myself if that delicious melt in the mouth popping candy dairy milk is worth it! It doesn't help that my Mr eats what he wants!!!

this... you may find that once you take the weekend into consideration, you are indeed consuming more than 2000 calories daily on average. (Junk food and drinks can add up FAST). You may opt to keep your goals at the lower 1600-1700ish during the week if you want to have that stuff on the weekend (assuming you are not binging on the weekend because you're depriving yourself during the week).
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily binge (I no you wasn't implying that) but I can tend to eat the wrong foods at weekends especially as my Mr doesn't diet or train. It's hard seeing him eat a bar of chocolate whilst I miss out, which I know is losing focus on what I want.
    You can eat a chocolate bar and still lose weight as long as you are still in a calorie deficit. Stick to a number and accurately and honestly track the calories for a while, allow 'indulgences' within your calorie budget but don't go over the calorie budget. If you are still not losing after 4-6 weeks at that calorie then you can adjust down again. But be honest with your tracking, especially on weekends when many of us are more lax.

I don't like adding my workout calories as I go like the fitbit adjustments does. I like planning food the day before so I can pack my lunch, etc. So I've un-linked my tracker. I use what my tracker says is an average weekly burn and divide that by 7 and set that as my MFP goal. I adjust as I go if I don't see the results I want over a time (I track my weight daily and use Trendweight, which uses a 4 week trend).

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Why don't you leave your numbers where they are and slowly start eating back the calories you earn during exercise? Just a couple hundred calories rich in protein each day for a week should show you if you really need the calories or not. Personally I don't think it is healthy to workout that hard and not replenish your body with at least some of the calories.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

this... you may find that once you take the weekend into consideration, you are indeed consuming more than 2000 calories daily on average. (Junk food and drinks can add up FAST). You may opt to keep your goals at the lower 1600-1700ish during the week if you want to have that stuff on the weekend (assuming you are not binging on the weekend because you're depriving yourself during the week).

OP, if you "love a drink" and haven't been logging your weekend intake, you might well be wiping out your weekly deficit.

For help with figuring out the calories of your favourites, try this site:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Drinking might also affect your food choices over the weekend, and you might be either eating more than you think or making poorer choices than you otherwise would, so keep that in mind too. If you can try to log your next few weekends as accurately as possible, that will give you some more data to work with and might help you see where the problem is. (You don't necessarily need to give up drinking, but you may need to cut back a bit or make some different choices if you want to lose weight.)

And yeah, I know it's hard to see someone else eating whatever they like when you're trying to lose weight! I console myself with a smaller amount of dark chocolate when my hubby is eating his own chocolate or chips, and that helps a bit. I've just had to try and overcome the "it's not fair!" mentality that I used to have. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

My workout
    Monday - Bootcamp 45min
    FRI - Rest
    Sun - Rest

It'd be nice to know what calories to start a fresh on including workout calories. I don't like this add them separately as I do my use a fitbit etc.

Oh I understand too that you can't spot point where to lose weight I just meant if one to lose my stomach so assume I have to lose more weight to help with it.

As for my workout, I work flat out and the b2b compound is because I can't get it in another day. Unless I rest Wed and change it to Tues. I love my classes you see so try and fit weights around that. I've only been lifting heavier for the past month.

I know I frustrate you guys because I frustrate myself. I've just lost sight of calories. Sorry, I'm an awesome person really lol x

I eat candy or chocolate often,I just make it fit my calorie goal. there are NO wrong foods. food is food. some just have better nutrient profiles than others.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Upping your calories will work as long as it means you are controlling your weekends too. Upping your calories during the week and continuing to go over on the weekends won't help at all. The guess is that you are out eating (or drinking). Your week day deficit on the weekends. So if you want to continue to do that you would have to further drop your weekday calories to make up for it. It doesn't sound to me like you are super hungry on the weekend and that is why you consume more so it doesn't seem like an issue of your deficit being too much.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 5 lbs heavier and probably a decade older than you. I lose on 1800 without weight lifting. So yes the increase should be fine!

But you have to stay within the margin all week so weekends (just like any other day) can make or break your goals.
  • Kittypickle
    Kittypickle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm late 40's, 184lbs and 5 ft 6, about 80lbs down. My weekends can be a bit ropey but I always log what I eat so I know where I'm at. I was until the summer on 1000 cal a day average (I work it out over the week) and used to eat about 1600 cals give or take a 100 cals either way.

Took up jogging and find that I have had to up my calories so on about 2000 - 2100 cals a day and average a pound a week though lose it in chunks the last couple of months rather than consistently as used to do.

You can relax at weekends just know where you are at.
  • TLB86
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I just feel like a bit of a 'wet lettuce' at the moment.

Everyone keeps telling me I look good and don't need to lose any more but the loss happened a couple of years ago and I so feel pathetic. I sit here now with a bloated gut making me feel conscious! I thought a UK 14 was the size I wanted to be until I got down to it. My waist is fine it's just my belly and hips!! Again I know we can't pin point hence why I think more weight loss will help.

I know this is all MY fault, MY responsibility and My battle. I don't mean to come across feeling sorry for myself asking for a magic pill as I know everything in life comes with it's own challenge. I've battled a few :/

My weekly log is pretty much spot on, I use food scales, don't drink (nor crave it) and swap what ever sweets my Mr is eating for nuts or yogurt, which I enjoy.

Starting this weekend I will log EVERYTHING I eat & drink! I don't binge like I say I just perhaps the wrong types of food, too much of it and unaware of the calories. Like a pathetic Mcdonalds floppy cheeseburger that fills a gap til dinner but at a cost of 300 calories!!

I've just taken a look back at my diaries and honestly can see that 80% of my weekends aren't logged. The couple that are round up to 2100 - 2200 calories daily on average over the week. HELLO DESTROYER! HELLO SOLUTION!

Also I have worked out calories required from http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ using 3-5hrs moderate exercise, which I think my routine above is. Would you agree?
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) - 1672
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) - 2592
    Daily calories based on goal in step 6 (20% calorie reduction) - 2073

Sorry for the long responses, I just feel this is the only place people can relate as colleagues aren't into working out and friends think 'I'm fine!' xx