What types of food should I eat for low iron deficiency?

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. My main sources of iron are

Beans and legumes
    Quaker Corn Squares cereal (1 30g serving gives me 30% of my iron RDA)
    Yves veggie dogs (15% of my iron RDA)

In addition, potatoes contain iron. I had 285g at lunch and got another 11% of my RDA

And various vegetables have small (1-5% of the RDA) amounts but they add up.

I track iron instead of sugar on my diary page, so it's easier to see.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer with iron deficiency a long time ago how much caffeine do you drink as caffeine does strip vitamins especially the vitamin that helps absorb iron 2 posts for you: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/the-effect-of-caffeine-on-vitamin-absorption.html
    and: https://draxe.com/top-10-iron-rich-foods/

Sometimes its not always about putting iron back into the system its about making sure other vitamins are not being wiped out too... I had to cut back on my caffeine intake big time and found foods rich in vitamin b12 to help (marmite helped me back then)
  • ilijap
    ilijap Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Quaker Corn Squares cereal (1 30g serving gives me 30% of my iron RDA)

RDA is defined as "average daily level of intake sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of nearly all (97%–98%) healthy individuals" (see https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/).

However, a) those needs vary, sometimes quite significantly, b) they are specifically stated for nonvegetarians. The second part is important because eating animal based food helps your body to absorb plant-based food as well (and the other way around, because plants also provide important substances).

The table listed on the website states (snipped the relevant portion):
    (male/female/pregnancy/lactation)
    14–18 years: 11 mg / 15 mg / 27 mg / 10 mg
    19–50 years 8 mg / 18 mg / 27 mg / 9 mg

First, note that what's stated is just iron, not absorbed iron. That's because the table carries an implicit assumption that the person will eat a varied diet, and absorption rate won't matter much. It usually does.

Second, what does 30% mean? 30% of 8 or 27 mg?

Iron fortified cereal usually have ~50-60 mg/100 g or iron, so 15-18 mg/30g. However, it is not very bioavailable so just a couple of percent will be absorbed. Furthermore, milk prevents iron absorption, and cereal are usually eaten with milk, so this drives the absorption further down. At 5%, this could be 0.75-0.9 mg of absorbed iron. At 2%, it could be 0.3 mg-0.36mg. If no animal-based products are available in the diet, it might be even less.

Menstruating women require around 2.4 mg of absorbed iron. So 30% suddenly becomes 12.5% of required daily intake. People with iron deficiency have no iron stores.
  • ilijap
    Options
    I used to suffer with iron deficiency a long time ago how much caffeine do you drink

Even small amounts of coffee can significantly reduce iron absorption.
    A cup of coffee reduced iron absorption from a hamburger meal by 39% as compared to a 64% decrease with tea, which is known to be a potent inhibitor of iron absorption. When a cup of drip coffee or instant coffee was ingested with a meal composed of semipurified ingredients, absorption was reduced from 5.88% to 1.64% and 0.97%, respectively, and when the strength of the instant coffee was doubled, percentage iron absorption fell to 0.53%. No decrease in iron absorption occurred when coffee was consumed 1 h before a meal, but the same degree of inhibition as with simultaneous ingestion was seen when coffee was taken 1 h later.
    (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6402915)

In other words, a single cup of double strength coffee taken during lunch or 1 h later could reduce iron absorption tenfold.
  • Nikso2
    Nikso2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat meat. All of it.
    Case closed.
  • ToriMalt
    ToriMalt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some of these answers are in-depth. Quick & easy answer: beans, greens like spinach, collard greens, turnip greens, broccoli, etc, red meat, rice, eggs, and some dairy products.
  • RamboKitty87
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ToriMalt wrote: »
    Wow. Some of these answers are in-depth. Quick & easy answer: beans, greens like spinach, collard greens, turnip greens, broccoli, etc, red meat, rice, eggs, and some dairy products.

Sometimes it has to be more in depth because you could eat all the iron rich products you like but if you're drinking too much caffeine it's not going to solve anything and the OP is going to go round and round in circles, its better to make sure other vitamins are not too low either, the ones that help the body absorb iron.. also go see your doctor.
  • barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of black strap molasses can provide 20% of daily iron. And is vegan.
  • ilijap
    edited September 2017
    Options
    barbp7 wrote: »
    A tablespoon of black strap molasses can provide 20% of daily iron. And is vegan.

Nutritional tables list around 5-13 mg iron/100g, so a tablespoon (15g) would have 0.75 mg-2mg. Since it's plant based (remains after extracting sugar from raw sugar cane), it would be absorbed at 2%-20%, so anywhere between 0.015mg and 0.4mg of absorbed iron, which can be less than 20%.

You also lose absorption support from animal based food.
  • ilijap
    Options
    ToriMalt wrote: »

Sometimes it has to be more in depth because you could eat all the iron rich products you like but if you're drinking too much caffeine it's not going to solve anything and the OP is going to go round and round in circles, its better to make sure other vitamins are not too low either, the ones that help the body absorb iron.. also go see your doctor.

Correct! Anemia is a symptom of many different conditions, including vitamin deficiencies (C, B12, folic acid), chronic diseases, blood diseases, blood loss, autoimmune disorders, medication interactions.

Talk to a good doctor, invest time in reading about anemia and what can you change in your diet to help yourself as much as you can. Take "simple" answers with a grain of salt.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nikso2 wrote: »
    Eat meat. All of it.
    Case closed.

Open case

Get knocked up

Close case

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The pills woke me up every night with abdominal pain I try to eat the iron rich foods listed by so many above.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like my daily bowl of cereal to get my iron %
  • RamboKitty87
    Options
    Cereal actually contains iron filings lol I found out on a tv show called food unwrapped:
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cereal actually contains iron filings lol I found out on a tv show called food unwrapped:

Who wants some corn flakes now?
    Thanks for sharing