Kitchen Gadgets

Options
3 weeks ago I purchased an electric pressure cooker and a soup maker, and now I don't know how I lived without them. Most nights we have homemade soup and an amazing dinner (chili, curry, pulled pork loin, boglanaise....) and both machines on at the same time take on average 25 minutes to make really nutritious dinners....as a working mum I can honestly say that's they have blown me away, and there is always left overs for the hubby and me to take to work, win win. What culinary gadgets changed your life?

Replies

• rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My husband just bought me an air fryer and a pressure cooker. Used the air fryer (just as good and quick as in the oven for french fries IMO) but haven't tried the pressure cooker yet. I'm a little intimidated to try. I do use my spiralizer for zuchinni though and love it!
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love mine, if it's the electric ones (I think the US mainly use insta pot - well that's the ones I've seen on the review sites) they should be pretty safe compared to the old fashioned stove ones....you should try the 25 minute to cook a whole chicken, its literally freed up my Sundays :) i have an air fryer not the one with the paddle though and I keep going through a trial and error phase with my home made chips (fries ;) ) sometimes they come out perfect other times a tad to brown but it's better than deep fried ones so I persist.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot. I'm also a huge fan of my immersion blender -- it makes it so easy to puree soups.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of instant pot but I do have 2 stove top pressure cookers(never use them). What I do love is my crock pot. I can put a meal in there go to my daughters volleyball or softball games (depending on season) and have dinner when we get home. Also great in summer when it's too hot to cook. Just throw something in it and it doesn't heat the kitchen the way my stove would.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Food scale (duh). I also love my misto--- it turns any cooking oil into a spray. I have olive oil in mine. Uhm could not live without my coffee grinder and french press.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot. Not used it quite as much in the hot weather, but it got a workout over the cooler months and will do so again. Sometimes I still use the slow cooker, I do have a Spiralizer but it doesn't get used much. Hmm maybe I'll pull it out today.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I just bought an Instant Pot too! I'm in love. Rubbed some back ribs and they are going into it with beer in a few minutes. Then grill and baste with BBQ sauce. Yum!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    An Actifry too. Threw out my deep fryer. And none too soon. ;)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I backed the kickstarter for The Whisk Wiper.

DSC_0885_cc_530x.jpg?v=1480386481

Confession: I'm not using it to put batter back in the bowl. :wink: :naughty:
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This thread is useless without recipes :) post some of what you made please :)[/quote]

That I can do! Well I'll start taking pics tonight :)
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Convection toaster oven (never use my full size oven anymore)
    Waffle maker (Love using Kodiak Cakes w protein mix)
    Small griddle
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My instant pot. I'm buying the vegan under pressure cookbook (I'm omni, husband is vegetarian) so I can use it more. It's amazing though! I don't know how I lived without it. Hard boiled eggs are amazing in the IP.

Four minutes on high pressure with a cup of water (use a steamer basket on top of the trivet that came with the pot), quick release. Remove with tongs, plunge in ice water. The shells just fall off. Some of the shells might crack a bit, but they are still fine to eat.
  • Meares17
    Meares17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I adore my instant pot. Just made this the other night and it was a big hit and provided several meals of leftovers. We turned it into a salad, using lettuce instead of rice or taco shells.

https://dashofherbs.com/instant-pot-salsa-chicken/

I also use regularly to make hard boiled eggs and quick steamed veggies.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting an Instant Pot. It seems to do a lot of things well, and those of us with tiny kitchens need multi-taskers whenever we can get them.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I put off buying a rice cooker for years because I couldn't find a model where I liked the looks. A Chinese colleague suggested the Xiaomi which I love. It connects to wifi and you can operate it with your smart phone but I haven't set that up yet. It is very cute and makes fluffy rice. Only inconvenience is that the buttons and menus are in Chinese only.
    2foaimom8fjv.jpeg
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I have lots of electrical gadgets, most of them bought in the 80's and still working after all these years, including a rice cooker, food processor and blender that I still use regularly

Of the more recent gadgets acquired, the most useful and regularly used are a coffee/spice grinder, vacuum sealer and air only popcorn popper.

In addition to these, I have more handheld gatgets than I can count and I'm always looking for more. ;)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I have lots of electrical gadgets, most of them bought in the 80's and still working after all these years, including a rice cooker, food processor and blender that I still use regularly

Of the more recent gadgets acquired, the most useful and regularly used are a coffee/spice grinder, vacuum sealer and air only popcorn popper.

In addition to these, I have more handheld gatgets than I can count and I'm always looking for more. ;)

I find I can pop corn with no fat on the newer generation non stick pans (ceramic or stone coated). You might be able to make more room in your kitchen cupboards.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Just used the air fryer that was gifted to us years ago.... yeah kinda overcooked the curly fries and turkey burger (using the pre programed setting it has)...have to play around with the timing.

Been using the pressure cooker also for roast and corned beef. Yummies.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I don't understand that someone disagrees with my appreciation of new rice cooker. Is it because the product is Chinese? I am not even American.

While I didn't click any buttons, I suspect the disagree is coming from the fact that you resurrected a thread that's over two years old.