Recovery week - what do you all do?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I follow a protocol that has me deloading every 4 weeks...

so I am lifting less than normal but still working out.

and I continue with most of my other activities like running etc.

Active rest days are days where you are exercising but not pushing hard...for example...going for a walk instead of a run....going for a casual bike ride.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've never needed to recover that long, even after half marathons.

A recovery run the day after a long run is quite good value. After my double I did revert to swimming though.

You are awesome though.

My last one (Which was also my first hilly one) had me only able to walk for 2 days, managed to cycle day 3. Run 3 miles day 4.

My first HM left me unable to run as if given myself ITB Syndrome. My own fault for pushing through the pain from 10K, so had to cycle as rehab for about six weeks. Also hilly, Salisbury to Winchester.

I find trail running far more relaxing than roads though, which makes ultras much more manageable. Road races leave me feeling battered, whereas on trail I'm left feeling much better.
  • chelleandson
    chelleandson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My recovery week usually consists of a light swim maybe once or twice and a couple of walks. Then I get straight back to it with a brief build up. I find it's nice to do something else instead.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Recovery week seems very excessive unless injury was involved. Even the most demanding structured military programs hold to a 2 day recovery.

Muscle recovery occurs within ~48-72 hrs.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Recovery doesn't mean you have to sit on the couch and do nothing. I go for a recovery run after a long run. Sometimes it ends up being a walk, or a bike ride instead. Other times recovery means lighter workouts or working things that aren't terribly taxed at the moment. I don't think recovery week mean rest week. Maybe just easier/lighter workouts.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Recovery week seems very excessive unless injury was involved. Even the most demanding structured military programs hold to a 2 day recovery.

Deloading is typically recommended for a week. I was unfamiliar with the concept and had only heard of "rest days" before working with a trainer. It is a fairly normal thing though in the weight training and lifting world from what I now understand

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/deloading-101-what-is-a-deload-and-how-do-you-do-it
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

Deloading is typically recommended for a week. I was unfamiliar with the concept and had only heard of "rest days" before working with a trainer. It is a fairly normal thing though in the weight training and lifting world from what I now understand

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/deloading-101-what-is-a-deload-and-how-do-you-do-it

There is a difference between deloading and taking a week out though.

Most running, cycling and swimming plans all use a cyclic structure with periods of reduced volume and intensity.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

There is a difference between deloading and taking a week out though.

Most running, cycling and swimming plans all use a cyclic structure with periods of reduced volume and intensity.

Right. But OP was doing a strength and conditioning program so I suspect when she said rest week she actually meant deload week, although I've personally never taken more than 2 days off from a body weight based program
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My recovery weeks consist of doing anything I feel like doing and nothing I don't. After a particular rigorous training cycle, which for me usually end in running a marathon or an all out race, I welcome a week of rest for both my body and my mind. I usually aim at focusing on repairing whatever feels broken. Following a big race, I usually take a few days where walking and light yoga are my only exercises, then I work up to short to medium distance runs without my Garmin. It helps me to remember why I love to run in the first place. Sometimes intense training programs can make us lose sight of that.
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    FemmeAndi wrote: »
    gerla_k wrote: »
    I always take a week break after I finish Insanity Max 30 before I start it all over again. I usually stay pretty active, run/ bike .

The trainer suggests a week break to recover. It was an intense program, feels like my knees have aged 20 years lol. Ok so most people seem to stay pretty active on their recovery week. I took one day off so far. Lunch hour is usually my workout time but where I didn`t want to sit still, I vacuumed and them mopped my floors and ran around the house tidying. I`m getting all set up to start p90x3 and I am really appreciating the slow down. I see that p90x3 has a week of recovery after each Month block, I`m guessing this program will be quite a step up from Max 30.

Personally, I'd be concerned about the bold above. In this case a recovery week is probably a good idea and I'd see how the next program feels for your knees. You definitely don't want to over do it and be sidelined by an injury, so if they continue to bother you maybe look into a different program or type of exercise.

yes there`s a lot of jumping in the Insanity max 30, lots.... n lots... n lots lol
  • FemmeAndi
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I follow a protocol that has me deloading every 4 weeks...

so I am lifting less than normal but still working out.

and I continue with most of my other activities like running etc.

Active rest days are days where you are exercising but not pushing hard...for example...going for a walk instead of a run....going for a casual bike ride.

Yes I think the recovery week seems to float more around exercises that seem to be more on the muscle building side. I see that cardio based exercises don`t seem to need a break and people who are doing more weight training seem more familiar with a recovery week.

So , after reading comments, I`ve done two insanity max 30 workouts this week and I`ll fit a nice long stretch session in on saturday and then Monday! P90x3 here we go!
  • FemmeAndi
    edited September 2017
    Options
    :)
  • FemmeAndi
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    My recovery weeks consist of doing anything I feel like doing and nothing I don't. After a particular rigorous training cycle, which for me usually end in running a marathon or an all out race, I welcome a week of rest for both my body and my mind. I usually aim at focusing on repairing whatever feels broken. Following a big race, I usually take a few days where walking and light yoga are my only exercises, then I work up to short to medium distance runs without my Garmin. It helps me to remember why I love to run in the first place. Sometimes intense training programs can make us lose sight of that.

I love this! This is what I did today too. I didn`t wear my Heart rate monitor. I did it just for fun and not results driven.

• tigerblood6
    tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    week?
    why not days
  • FemmeAndi
    Options
    My results from my Recovery week.

I still did 3 workout sessions but they were the ones I found the funnest and I didn`t track my calories. Really was a nice break on the mind.

Listen to this!!! I dropped an extra 1.5 cms around my waist! I was shocked! I was like.. woahhh my waist looks tinier or something. Sooooo i got out the measuring tape and TA-DA! I also stepped on the scale and I dropped 1 more pound! hehe (weight doesn`t matter I know, i know, but anyhow it happened).

This week I started (On saturday) p90x3. And I feel like I have new motivation all over again!

So if you wanna take a week break, it really doesn`t harm you. :) Speaking from my experience anyhow.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    week?
    why not days

because sometimes an entire week off is a good physical and mental break. I take 2 recovery weeks a year usually...full weeks where I don't workout except walk and don't count calories at all.

Vacations are fun like that.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Deload week - Yes
    Recovery week - No
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I train in martial arts and the dojo is closed for a week three times a year (April, August and Christmas). I generally don't do much more than walk and stretch in those weeks because it gives my body, particularly my joints, time to recover. I find I'm always more loose/flexible after those weeks. I mean I could go for a run and do accessory work, and sometimes I do, but I don't cry about it if I don't. Training 7 hours a week, week in week out, engaging your whole body is hard going. I know for a lot of people it doesn't make sense to take a whole week but sometimes it's good for the soul to sit on the sofa with a book or a movie. Especially when training takes up all of that time normally. And you can appreciate training more when you go back to it. :smile:
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I take 3 days off after a marathon, and that features mostly hobbling around slowly getting my body back from its state of shock. Then seeing how quickly I can get back to my normal running routine...