Not sure how to feel about this...

Options
I've been struggling with getting all of my calories in since shifting to maintenance. One of the big reasons is that we finally got a snap of good fall weather and I've been running more than normal.

Anyway, last night I was about 800 calories short of target after dinner. The wife is expecting and had a milkshake craving so we took a ride to our local parlor. I had my mind set on a hot fudge brownie sundae. What better way to get to target, right?

When scanning the menu, I couldn't help but notice that the sundae I wanted (the place only offers 'specialty' sundaes in one size), was a whopping 1350 calories! Even though I knew it would be fine in the grand scheme of things (I would even make up the excess calories with this morning's run) I could not let myself get it. It was just sooooo much and way too far of a departure from how I've been eating since I started my weight loss efforts.

I was so disgusted by the number of calories in the sundae that I wanted so badly that I didn't even feel like finding a more reasonable option. I bought my wife's milkshake and left. I satisfied my dessert craving with a big apple, a banana, and some pomegranate seeds. I went to bed about 500 calories short for the day.

On one hand, I'm happy that I was able to resist the temptation of that sundae that I love/used to love so much (I used to easily eat 2 of those per week pre-weight loss), on the other hand, on a purely rational basis I know that having that sundae wouldn't really have been that big a deal calorie-wise. I had plenty of room left to go and would more than offset any excess via exercise a couple of hours later.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this...the only thing I know for certain is that I'll have to keep fighting the war for balance for the foreseeable future. I'm starting to think that maintenance is actually harder than losing!

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    For quite a while WAWA had a "Siptopia" sale where all their smoothies and blended beverages were $1.99 compared with one from Starbucks at about $5.
    After the first one I saw the calories were over 1000. Jaw drop.
    Did some poking around the WAWA menu and they had a sugar free one at around 150 calories. FAR more reasonable. Unfortunately I found this out as the Siptopia promotion was ending....
    :s
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think it is a side effect of educating ourselves about calories and nutrition. Sometimes it is so easy to pass on something just based on a small amount of information gathered, like calories or fat content. I too would have passed on that Sundae :)

I recently had a similar experience, a friend gave me a Marie Calendars Pot Pie - something I used to love. When I looked at the # of calories in that little pie that I knew wasn't even going to be enough to be called a meal it was hard to enjoy (yes, I ate it because I knew he would ask) and I promised myself that would be the last one I ever had.

Not sure if you are also having issues with reaching your daily calorie goals but sometimes we have to balance out the calories over a few days or a week. So maybe when you feel like you are too low one day, maybe have an extra handful on nuts the next day . . .
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Putting in my two cents worth here.. before I lost my favorite at DQ would be a blizzard..cookie dough no less..we still go and amazingly I can have a chocolate dipped cone and I'm still happy..I think about my old favorite but I still get ice cream and my husband and I both like this instead of the sundaes and blizzards.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    swim777 wrote: »
    Putting in my two cents worth here.. before I lost my favorite at DQ would be a blizzard..cookie dough no less..we still go and amazingly I can have a chocolate dipped cone and I'm still happy..I think about my old favorite but I still get ice cream and my husband and I both like this instead of the sundaes and blizzards.

I do this a lot. I will occasionally get a "mini" size blizzard, but a cone plain or dipped will usually be enough to satisfy me without going overboard on the calories. Because even when I have the calories it is sometimes hard to spend that many calories on one treat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I've been struggling with getting all of my calories in since shifting to maintenance. One of the big reasons is that we finally got a snap of good fall weather and I've been running more than normal.

Anyway, last night I was about 800 calories short of target after dinner. The wife is expecting and had a milkshake craving so we took a ride to our local parlor. I had my mind set on a hot fudge brownie sundae. What better way to get to target, right?

When scanning the menu, I couldn't help but notice that the sundae I wanted (the place only offers 'specialty' sundaes in one size), was a whopping 1350 calories! Even though I knew it would be fine in the grand scheme of things (I would even make up the excess calories with this morning's run) I could not let myself get it. It was just sooooo much and way too far of a departure from how I've been eating since I started my weight loss efforts.

I was so disgusted by the number of calories in the sundae that I wanted so badly that I didn't even feel like finding a more reasonable option. I bought my wife's milkshake and left. I satisfied my dessert craving with a big apple, a banana, and some pomegranate seeds. I went to bed about 500 calories short for the day.

On one hand, I'm happy that I was able to resist the temptation of that sundae that I love/used to love so much (I used to easily eat 2 of those per week pre-weight loss), on the other hand, on a purely rational basis I know that having that sundae wouldn't really have been that big a deal calorie-wise. I had plenty of room left to go and would more than offset any excess via exercise a couple of hours later.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this...the only thing I know for certain is that I'll have to keep fighting the war for balance for the foreseeable future. I'm starting to think that maintenance is actually harder than losing!

Next time, just split the sundae - there were conveniently 2 of you. (Even pregnant, 1350 calories for 1 dessert has got to be excessive for her too).

ETA: although I guess that might not satisfactorily fix her milkshake craving...so nevermind.

Or just toss out half when you get it; or dump half the ice cream, and save half the brownie for another day,...
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had a similar incident the other day, I've only been in maintenance for a few weeks and still have to eat very low fat as awaiting gallbladder removal, I've been waiting since Jan 17 but surgery is finally booked for a couple of weeks time. My team at work had booked a local restaurant for our Christmas lunch and emailed out the menu, I went through the menu and nothing appealed at all, all very high calorie and high fat food and my mouth didn't water one bit, in fact I felt a little ill. When the time comes I am sure I'll find something I want to eat but I was surprised at my response to the thought of eating foods that I haven't been able to eat for almost 10 months.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I think you made a good choice. Assuming you go to this joint occasionally, study the menu and have a plan for next time. Then stick with it. Perhaps in the 300-400 calorie range. Might be as easy as mixing the brownies. That's a nice splurge, but doesn't bust the whole week.

We go to the same places a lot, so I have "built" my menu for each in the meals tab. I get pretty much the same thing so it's already logged. The only variable may be 1 or 2 glasses of wine depending on my "budget"

It's so much more difficult to have to make spur of the moment choices. You probably have enough chaos at the moment without having to decide on what type of Sundae.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Feeling guilty about eating is a slippery slope to an unhealthy relationship with food. I am kind of an all or nothing kind of guy. Letting myself eat a snack that is almost triple the calories of a normal meal would be tough for me with my present mindset also.
    If I choose to eat something like a sunday, it usually leads to more sundays! So the best advice I can offer has been stated above. Have a smaller cone, or eat half and toss the rest.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I find it hard to indulge on long run days like today (10 miles). There's just something that says I'm wasting the effort of a good long run if it's spent on something like a 1000 calorie sundae.
  • nicholethompson24
    Options
    I can relate - I hate to waste food so even splitting it in half would be tough. However, someone once told me that you should think of it as you are paying for the portion you want, and that the restaurant should feel bad for serving such a high calorie item. This has helped me mentally with being okay with not eating everything that is served to me.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I find it hard to indulge on long run days like today (10 miles). There's just something that says I'm wasting the effort of a good long run if it's spent on something like a 1000 calorie sundae.

If one is in maintenance, they should have the mindset "I ran 10 miles today, surely I deserve that 1300kcal sundae". What's the point otherwise?