CoWorkers Not Supportive & Give Negativity

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I can understand why the comments would bother you - I’ve gotten just one diet comment at work, very mild, but it made me feel really uncomfortable. I’ve tried to be open and matter of fact with my friends about losing weight, but I really don’t want to go into it at work!
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Let their hate and negativity be a driving force behind your success.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’ve learned that the only people I want to tell are ONLY those that will be supportive, and even then I usually wait a while.

People are resistant to change. Whether it’s me changing my food intake to try to lose weight, or those that I hang out with who are now mad because now when we go out for “margaritas and queso” - I’m getting salads and Diet Coke.

I have resented for a LONG TIME that I have to work harder to lose weight than most people because I have PCO. It’s not that I can’t do it, it’s that I have to find strategies that will help me that are quite different that what it seems other people have to do to lose weight.

When I was in school, it was the same way - I resented that my sisters seemed to never have to study for a test, and I had to work and study for DAYS to try to just pass. I recently discovered a long-time family friend resented he had type 1 diabetes pretty much since birth. He has to do WAY more stuff than I every had to think about doing and then some. He can’t go out and eat whatever whenever either, and it really SUCKED that he couldn’t go out and drink when he turned 21. Most alcohol has way too much sugar in it.

I digress

Anyway - be very selective over who you share your journey with. There are so many people who won’t “get it” enough to be supportive. The more you look for positive people, the easier it’ll be to find. Focus on them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've been losing weight so far but I'm just frustrated because the people I'm around most (coworkers) are either non supportive or are very negative regarding my weight loss. Any advice on how to deal with that? Thanks

How do they even know about it?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    I guess let me clarify, I am not looking for support from my coworkers, however, when I try to eat a healthy lunch or just anything, they will make a negative comment or for example, "why don't you have a burger instead" stuff like that.

Just tell them you prefer whatever you're eating.
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the other replies, but I work in an office and I am really close to the people on my pod (Generally spend more time with them than I do my actual friends and family...) they are like my friends, so when I'm trying to lose weight I tell them, just like they share things about there lives with me....as for the negativity I would put that more down to them projecting their own frustrations/resentment on to you, sucky I know but that's Humans for you :/