Having reaction to Stevia and Xylitol

Options
ivyleeger
ivyleeger Posts: 11 Member
Hey everyone. I've just begun the keto diet and doing well with one exception. I am getting headaches from the fake sugar. This used to occur when I drank diet sodas years ago.

Anyone have suggestions/advice or alternative sweeteners I can try?

Thanks!
Cary B

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you ate like a normal, human omnivore with no dietary restrictions, do you think you would still have fake sugar headaches? If so, stop consuming "fake sugar"... or better yet, stop doing keto.

Either way, the correlation you made between artificial sugar and headaches doesn't mean that is what is actually giving you headaches. Go to a doctor if you want answers.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    If you ate like a normal, human omnivore with no dietary restrictions, do you think you would still have fake sugar headaches? If so, stop consuming "fake sugar"... or better yet, stop doing keto.

Either way, the correlation you made between artificial sugar and headaches doesn't mean that is what is actually giving you headaches. Go to a doctor if you want answers.

There are not enough "awesome/like/inspiring" buttons. :smiley:@sixxpoint

@ivyleeger

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Monk Fruit?
  • ivyleeger
    Options
    derry1 wrote: »

Either way, the correlation you made between artificial sugar and headaches doesn't mean that is what is actually giving you headaches. Go to a doctor if you want answers.[/qH

How rude. Some people can get reactions to artificial sugar. (Ate like a normal human being?" You do realise that the Keto diet has been proven to be one of the most healthy diets, as we eat what we call real food. Maybe if she is getting headaches or a reaction to Stevia etc she should try going without the sugar., but to suggest that she gives up Keto is unreal. People with pre-diabetes or diabetics have actually reversed their Blood Glucose Levels doing Keto. What is bad are the processed foods and carbs which converts into sugars. I belong to a forum with thousands of members who are all doing very well on Keto. Doctors are now coming round to the fact how well their patients are doing on keto. We used to be told not to eat animal fat and dairy, this is all changing as this is natural fats that are good for us. The food industry have been making a fortune selling to the public foods with so much sugar. People with diabetes were getting worse because some medical doctors were telling people to eat carbs and low fat foods which were are full of sugar, which were pushing people's Blood Glucose Levels up. No wonder there is a high diabetes rate.You probably eat more fake food than you know. We eat all veg that grows above ground, berries, meat, dairy, cream, real butter cheese. Every person that I know on keto has lost a good amount of weight. Cholesterol good, BP good, and sugar levels have lowered significantly. I suggest that you read up on Keto do some research before advising somebody to give up keto.

Thank you for your support. And yes, I have recently been dx'd as pre-diabetic. Currently on exercise regime and low carb diet. I am not a sweets addict but I do/did eat a lot of carbs. So far I am doing well on the keto diet.

Again, thanks.

CaryB
  • ivyleeger
    Options
    nw623 wrote: »
    Have you tried Monk Fruit?

I have not. I will give it a try. Thanks so much.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ivyleeger wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I've just begun the keto diet and doing well with one exception. I am getting headaches from the fake sugar. This used to occur when I drank diet sodas years ago.

Thanks!
    Cary B

I don't pretend to be an expert on diets and weight loss - if I were, I probably wouldn't be here trying to lose weight. :) I was also diagnosed as a diabetic two months ago. I still eat carbs and sugars - I just did my research on it and them and follow certain guidelines - like the macros.

Having said that... If you just started this keto diet AND you started using 'fake sugars' then try cutting back a little and give your body time to adjust to one them. It could just be a reaction to the big change in your eating habits. If you can show that it is the 'fake sugars', then take them out of your diet and introduce more natural sugars like honey or Truvia, etc.

Some of the fake sugars do give me headaches. It's been months of trial and error to find what works for me. Everyone is different and their bodies react differently. Your body needs sugars so don't just cut them out. Same with carbs, just find the best carbs out there for you and your situation.

• ivyleeger
    Options
    jaci66 wrote: »

Thanks!
    Cary B

I don't pretend to be an expert on diets and weight loss - if I were, I probably wouldn't be here trying to lose weight. :) I was also diagnosed as a diabetic two months ago. I still eat carbs and sugars - I just did my research on it and them and follow certain guidelines - like the macros.

Having said that... If you just started this keto diet AND you started using 'fake sugars' then try cutting back a little and give your body time to adjust to one them. It could just be a reaction to the big change in your eating habits. If you can show that it is the 'fake sugars', then take them out of your diet and introduce more natural sugars like honey or Truvia, etc.

Some of the fake sugars do give me headaches. It's been months of trial and error to find what works for me. Everyone is different and their bodies react differently. Your body needs sugars so don't just cut them out. Same with carbs, just find the best carbs out there for you and your situation.

Truvia, stevia, xylitol etc are ALL giving me the same symptoms as the other artificial sweeteners.
  • ivyleeger
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

There are not enough "awesome/like/inspiring" buttons. :smiley:@sixxpoint

@ivyleeger

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

I've read many of these prior to starting my keto diet. Nothing on there that relates to my 'sugar' issue. But thanks.

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    There is a Low Carb forum/group and Keto groups on here where you don't have to wade through people's judgements about your diet.

Just look them up in the forum/group search.

Also, perhaps try Erythrotol? It's a natural sugar like stevia or xylitol (NOT an artificial sweetener like aspartame). I like the taste and don't get headaches or tummy aches from it.

(See you in the keto groups... way friendlier over there.)
  • karijo475
    karijo475 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you have an allergy to Birch or Alder? I am allergic to those and I can't use Stevia or Xylitol because of it. I tried Monk Fruit and I have the same reaction. Just a thought....
  • ivyleeger
    Options
    There is a Low Carb forum/group and Keto groups on here where you don't have to wade through people's judgements about your diet.

Just look them up in the forum/group search.

Also, perhaps try Erythrotol? It's a natural sugar like stevia or xylitol (NOT an artificial sweetener like aspartame). I like the taste and don't get headaches or tummy aches from it.

(See you in the keto groups... way friendlier over there.)

THANK YOU!!!
  • ivyleeger
    Options
    karijo475 wrote: »
    Do you have an allergy to Birch or Alder? I am allergic to those and I can't use Stevia or Xylitol because of it. I tried Monk Fruit and I have the same reaction. Just a thought....

Not that I know. I've made birch tea before w/o issues. Not sure about alder.
  • karijo475
    karijo475 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    karijo475 wrote: »

Not that I know. I've made birch tea before w/o issues. Not sure about alder.

Birch and alder are related (what allergy Dr told me). I wasn’t always allergic, just in recent years. Might be worth looking into though. Good luck!
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My Stevia comes straight from my garden and I love it for cooking and smoothies (doesn't work for baking because it is a leaf). Although the powdered stuff is processed....it is not fake like the other chemical substitutes.
  • JulieD769
    JulieD769 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stevia is from the ragweed family and so there are many people who cannot tolerate it. I am one of those people. Also, if you have a reaction to chlorine, you will more than likely have a reaction to Splenda. I cannot have any artificial sweeteners. I have to be very careful with all the low fat foods, protein bars and shakes, etc. I don't know a good alternative. I just avoid it and eat real sugar in moderation.
  • ivyleeger
    Options
    Julied7769 wrote: »
    Stevia is from the ragweed family and so there are many people who cannot tolerate it. I am one of those people. Also, if you have a reaction to chlorine, you will more than likely have a reaction to Splenda. I cannot have any artificial sweeteners. I have to be very careful with all the low fat foods, protein bars and shakes, etc. I don't know a good alternative. I just avoid it and eat real sugar in moderation.

Well, this explains a lot. Ragweed is one of my most potent allergy pollens. Horse riding thru the fields and pastures in the fall is its own hell on my system.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb (couldn't sustain keto carb levels!) and get terrible migraine headaches from any sweetener besides sugar. The only alternative that I found (besides taking my prescription migraine meds every time I ate something "sweetened") was just to eat real sugar in MUCH smaller quantities and less frequency.