New BMI

Options
Have you heard about the new BMI scale? It is specifically for very short and very tall people.
http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/new-bmi/
I like it-as the weight I seemed to have settles with so far is 24.6 on the new BMI and 25.8 on the old BMI!

I'm not too concerned about BMI, but thought it was interesting.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It only changes mine by 0.1
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For people of average height, there is little to no change.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This one dives me .5 and takes me from healthy on the old scale to underweight on the new.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm short and the new one added 0.8 to my BMI.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Shortie here too. From 19.3 old to 20.1 new.
    Makes no difference to me, I like what I weigh.

Don't quite get the new one. Is it being applied anywhere but the site it is on, Insurance companies etc?

Cheers, h.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Eh, new one makes my BMI 17.9. Old one, 18.3.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    If I'm choosing I will keep my old one. This one adds 0.7 of a point of BMI to my current one.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Zero credibility. Conflates Obese 30.1-35 w/ Morbidly obese 35.1+
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Zero credibility. Conflates Obese 30.1-35 w/ Morbidly obese 35.1+

Use this one then

https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html

Doesn't have the same glitch.

But I am curious is there is any narrative/study to go along with the calculators.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    According to this, I could lose all the way down to 101 pounds and still be at a healthy weight. :worried:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Wanh, I just left obese with the old one and the new one just threw me back in. Rude.

Same. And here I was, patting myself on the back for finally sliding out of 'obese' and into 'overweight' this week.

*kicks new calculation*. Might come back to it when I'm further into the new range.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    This takes me down to 20 even, and the old system I'm 20.7. But, it takes my 5'4", 155lb Mom even more Overweight...and honestly, she's not. She wears the same size clothes as I do at 5'11, and 148. I'm pretty sure she has steal bones...LOL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great, take tool meant for population groups and misused by insurance and medical fields, and try to improve it for their use.

I've got this knife I keep reaching for to use a screwdriver because it's close at hand - I guess it would be good to file a flat edge on it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I'm short and it raised me from 21.1 to 21.6.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Wow, at 5'3" I could go down to 99 lbs. and still have a BMI of 18.0 :o It pushed my current BMI up 0.5 points. I have a narrow frame and small bones and I would still look emaciated at that weight. Just, no.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Wow, at 5'3" I could go down to 99 lbs. and still have a BMI of 18.0 :o It pushed my current BMI up 0.5 points. I have a narrow frame and small bones and I would still look emaciated at that weight. Just, no.

Yep. That was my point as well. I mean, I weighed 120 in my profile picture. Does anyone seriously believe I had 20 extra pounds to jettison?
  • ShaDucky
    ShaDucky Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It added .9 to my BMI.....Yuck!