Keto, Anyone? II

Options
2»

Replies

• ikeandmike1212
    ikeandmike1212 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

In this thread and the previous one (Keto, anyone?), myself as well as others mentioned experiencing issues with inflammation and the various health-related manifestations inflammation can cause. Here's something that supports nutritional efforts and may offer some relief for inflammatory issues:

3mun5utu4f8n.jpg
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    Found this little jewel. It can be a great resource for those who are struggling with shopping and meal planning for keto.

g6qkdk0mt4ig.jpg
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    Have you ever found a recipe that you feel is suitable for keto meal planning, but the nutritional information was not included? For certain recipes (esp ft bombs), I like to make mini versions, which allows me to feel that I can have more snacks, while not exceeding certain nutrient ranges. Mt fat bomb recipe indicates that it make 25, but I ended up with 40 minis. Ok...but what is the nutritional information for each mini???

I found this tool that can help you with the nutritional value for your recipes. To save your recipe, you have to register. Check it out?

https://supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx
  • ellahungerford
    ellahungerford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's been a tough week and Saturday couldn't have gotten here any sooner. I am grateful for the extra sleep; I needed it.

Since life will slow down just a little for the next couple of days, I made a "bigger" breakfast today; a three-egg omelet stuffed with cheddar cheese, bacon, mushroom and spinach...and thanks to Swerve, I get to enjoy a cup of coffee with cream and 'sugar". This breakfast (and dinner) will be fattier than I consume during the week, but I only eat two meal/day on the weekend. Whether it's two meals or three, the total fat I must consume remains constant.

Later today, I plan to make almond-flour based Keto Bread and re-up my fat bomb supply. Interested in what's in these recipes, see the links below. If you've never made bread before, check in before you make this one as I have some tips for you.

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/best-keto-bread/

Want to make Lemon Cheesecake Fat Bombs? Check this out:

http://lowcarbediem.com/lemon-cheesecake-fat-bomb-recipe/

It's the weekend...what's going on with you?????

I'm planning on trying that keto bread recipe next weekend. Any advice?
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    Yes.

1) Following the recipe as written will make a small loaf, 8x4. Double all ingredients to make a 9x5 loaf.
    2) When measuring the flours,use a separate spoon to fill measuring cups; level off the top. If you dig into your flour, and pack the flour down, you will end up with more flour than the recipe calls for and your bread will be heavy.
    3) The recipe states to whip the egg whites to a soft peak; I whipped mine to the stiff peak stage. If you get any egg yolk in the whites, they won't fluff up like you want them to.
    Remember, the egg whites, cream or tartar and baking soda will provide the "rise" for the bread. Whipping the egg whites incorporates air, and using a food processor or mixer will deflate the eggs. When folding in the egg whites, do it as gently as possible.
    4) Every oven is different. Follow the time/temperature listed but check the bread toward the end of the baking time. Use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to check for doneness. If you are not sure it's done, a few extra minutes in the oven on this one is Ok. If you under cook the center will be eggy.

When you make it, send us some pics!
  • Denise20B
    Denise20B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone...i'm on day 2 of keto....my goodness i have a hard time to reach 1000 calories to complete my day...anyone have that problem....Maybe i will be hungry later..but i do only want to eat 3 meals a day ...i can always put quick add to make up the difference....maybe the following days will be different depending what i choose to eat.
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    Hi Denise,

If you need some help with meal planning, I posted a 7 Day Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan on September 30. It may help you reach your goal.
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    I found this recipe for a Keto Milkshake. If anyone tries it, let us know how it turns out.

http://thefithousewife.com/recipe/keto-chocolate-milkshake/
  • KrittersGal
    KrittersGal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Denise , start your morning with a 2 egg omelette oz of meat 1/2 oz cheese and fatty tea or coffee will kill 800-900 calories easy
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    For anyone wanting to figure out how much protein, carbs and fat they should be consuming, try this Keto calculator:

http://www.mydreamshape.com/keto-calculator/
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Looking for some ZERO carb fat bomb recipes. Any suggestions?
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    I have a fat bomb recipe and it's made with the alternative sweetener, Swerve. Carbs extremely low at .5gms per serving

Cream Cheese & Lemon Fat Bombs

2 lemons
    4 oz (1/2 cup) cream cheese
    1 stick unsalted butter
    3/4 cup coconut oil
    Sugar Alternative

Melt the butter and the coconut oil on low heat. Add the juice from both lemons. Add the cream cheese, whisking until the cream cheese incorporates in nicely. It may take a few minutes. Add sugar alternative taste. Fill candy molds or muffin cups. Place molds on a plate or baking sheet; freeze for at least an hour.

Yield: 25
    Nutrition each:
    Calories - 107
    Fat - 12.0 g,
    Sat. Fat. - 9g,
    Sodium - 15.4g,
    Carbs - .5g, and
    Protein - .3g
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm all in - going to make them up tonight.

Thanks Ikeandmike1212!!
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I'm all in - going to make them up tonight.

Thanks Ikeandmike1212!!

I made a batch last night. I made half lemon, half lime...lemon is good...don't use lime...it doesn't get solid, even after hours of freezing.
  • ellahungerford
    ellahungerford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes.

1) Following the recipe as written will make a small loaf, 8x4. Double all ingredients to make a 9x5 loaf.
    2) When measuring the flours,use a separate spoon to fill measuring cups; level off the top. If you dig into your flour, and pack the flour down, you will end up with more flour than the recipe calls for and your bread will be heavy.
    3) The recipe states to whip the egg whites to a soft peak; I whipped mine to the stiff peak stage. If you get any egg yolk in the whites, they won't fluff up like you want them to.
    Remember, the egg whites, cream or tartar and baking soda will provide the "rise" for the bread. Whipping the egg whites incorporates air, and using a food processor or mixer will deflate the eggs. When folding in the egg whites, do it as gently as possible.
    4) Every oven is different. Follow the time/temperature listed but check the bread toward the end of the baking time. Use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to check for doneness. If you are not sure it's done, a few extra minutes in the oven on this one is Ok. If you under cook the center will be eggy.

When you make it, send us some pics!

Thanks! I didn't get around to it this weekend, but am hoping to give a try sometime this week. Does it taste very almond-y? The recipe suggests adding stevia to balance the "eggy" taste...
  • ikeandmike1212
    Options
    I absolutely cannot deal with the taste of stevia so I didn't use it. If you make it correctly, I don't think it will taste eggy.
  • Denise20B
    Denise20B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi.....i started keto 9 days ago..i have a problem with never being hungry..i mean i dont have a taste for anything and meat or chicken no longer appeals to me...i force myself to eat my meals...anyone know what i can do about this....i never think of food and before i did often...then its like 8pm and didnt eat dinner yet and when i think of it..i dont feel like eating....what gives..is this normal?