Ultramarathon: yay or nay?

Options
Oh I can't make up my mind. I was so miserable during the second half of my most recent marathon, and so deflated missing my pb by under a minute, and the idea of chasing time in a new race just makes me feel ill.
I love training and I love aiming for a new goal and I love trail running....
There's a 56km ultra in the middle of January a couple hours away from where I live. It's meant to be pretty hilly but fairly straightforward terrain-wise with beautiful scenery.
But it's an ultra! I've never thought I'd do an ultra.
Help me decide! Pros and cons:
Pros:
- a new challenge to aim for
- There are no other long races over summer around here to train for
- Trail running is wonderful
- The medal is a bottle opener

Cons:
- I mean it's an ultra
- All the gear: different shoes, hydration, food, gaiters, etc. probably can't even half *kitten* the socks like I normally do
- Summer could mean very hot
- Snakes?!?
- Have to figure out accomodation and transportation, possibly dragging my husband and two young kids along
- $$$$
- I'm sure I'm still gonna pressure myself to hit a certain time cos I'm pathetic like that
- Snakes?!?!

Replies

• sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    if u can, do it at least once. my wife's cousin has done a ton of them... Maybe 5+ since I've known him? it's something worth challenging yourself with if you're even in the ballpark of capable.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You have managed to list more cons than pros...I think therein lies the answer...
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Oh I can't make up my mind. I was so miserable during the second half of my most recent marathon, and so deflated missing my pb by under a minute, and the idea of chasing time in a new race just makes me feel ill.
    There's a 56km ultra in the middle of January a couple hours away from where I live. It's meant to be pretty hilly but fairly straightforward terrain-wise with beautiful scenery.
    Pros:

Cons:
    - I mean it's an ultra
    - All the gear: different shoes, hydration, food, gaiters, etc. probably can't even half *kitten* the socks like I normally do
    - Snakes?!?
    - Have to figure out accomodation and transportation, possibly dragging my husband and two young kids along
    - $$$$
    - I'm sure I'm still gonna pressure myself to hit a certain time cos I'm pathetic like that
    - Snakes?!?!
    My first ultra is booked next year, if you are capable you should, what an achievement, you’ll be the envy of other runners, the mental gains you’ll make in life, as for different shoes & gear well that’s simple Christmas presents, accommodation & husband n kids why not make it a vacation.
    As for $$$ I have a theory, look at long distance triathletes, the mental ability to do that sport is immense, the drive to train every day and for so long is immense, they all know that training gets in the way of work and family but they achieve it, in fact most prosper, work is easy compared to training lots of people I know get promotions whilst undertaking ironman events, well you’ll be one step closer to being a super human athlete.
    You have to do it, enter it and the excitement will be overwhelming.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I did my first ultra (50k) in September and loved the experience, the community, and the training. What I loved most was that it was time based, not distance based. That took considerable pressure away mentally to think I could walk the whole thing and still be able to complete the event in time - which ended up happening as I pulled a muscle in my knee at mile 2!

Definitely take a trip out to the course if you can before you decide. I didn’t do that - asked the RD what the trails were like and he said mostly flat. Well, he meant mostly flat in perspective for New England states, not mostly flat from a general perspective. Coming from NJ, where we have a lot of trails at sea level with gentle slopes, the hills, rocks and roots of the Ultra trail system I was on for the actual event took me a little by surprise. I would have trained differently (more hill repeats) if I had known what I was up against realistically.

Either way, good luck with making an appropriate decision for your goals and lifestyle.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I did 2 ultras (50 milers) and LOVED them! My mindset was completely different than for a marathon. I basically ran aid station to aid station and didn't worry about my time. Also, I wore the same gear the entire race - granted, mine were in the Fall so it was cooler. Good idea to scope out the course ahead of time, too.

Toad is spot on the your first will be an automatic PR, so please don't needlessly pressure yourself to meet certain split times. Enjoy the camaraderie and running with some new people, and of course, the post-race food!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why torture yourself?!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    No opinion on the ultra, just had to post and say that even Down Under I hope snakes are smart enough to run the other way when a horde of runners pass by. Unless you're the trailbreaker they should be long gone! Are a lot of runners bitten by snakes in your area? Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Do you have the time to train? Ultras usually mean back to back long runs on the weekend - say 40 km on Saturday and 30 on Sunday. Can you do that? Do you enjoy doing long runs?

I'd love to have the experience of an ultra, but I don't enjoy long runs. They are pretty much torture. However I enjoy marathons, which have people, excitement, support, etc. The ultra community is generally really supportive, especially of newbies. But I don't think I'll ever end up doing one, just because of the long run issue. Plus the trails around here are very rocky and I have enough trouble staying upright on the roads. (Three bad falls in the past year.)

• bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You mention the terrain is hilly..... if this is a "trail" run it is a totally different animal than a flatter, pavement, city style marathon.
    Like seriously different.
    Be prepared to walk up the hills and down them..... maybe backwards.... passed a few people doing that near the end of the 50K I ran.
    A friend convinced me to train and run one after I had completed my 3rd marathon.
    It's only another 8K he said.
    Yeah..... it's only another 8K, I could do that.
    But you forget about the 42K you have to run before you get to those added extra 8K
    I don't regret doing it but whoooo weeee, it was all out the hardest thing I've ever done.
    What ever you decide...... prepare, prepare, prepare !

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Sounds dreadful. Why not plan your own ultra course? Does it need to be an official race to mean something? Give yourself a set day, plan the course using online maps or by running sections, and buy yourself a nice present at the end with all the money you didn't spend on admission/hotels.
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ran my first ultra at the Haliburton Forest Run (50K) last year. I'm training to do the 50 mile winter Beast of Burden in February followed by the 100 miler at Haliburton next September. Prior to that I'd run half a dozen halfs and one full.
    The ultra was amazing. I loved everything about it -- running in the forest on trails, the challenge and the camaraderie.
    It's one of the things I'm most proud of having accomplished.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it would be a wonderful achievement; something I want to someday be capable of doing.

As to snakes... when I am trail running, I'm constantly watching the ground because of rocks, roots, etc. I've never had issues with snakes while trail running. While hiking, on the other hand... I'm not watching the ground very closely or very often because I'm moving more slowly and don't have a need to worry about it so much. Even then, the closest encounter I've had with a snake (timber rattler) was no problem because it let me know it was there before it got to the point of biting me. I'm not sure what kind of snakes you are concerned about, but most bites here in the U.S. are from viper species of snakes (rattlesnakes, water moccasins, etc.) and are on the arms and hands of young males. If those boys would stop trying to antagonize or play with wild snakes, there would be a lot fewer bites. It doesn't sound like that is going to be an issue for you, so your risk of a snake bite is not nearly as high as you seem to imagine.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You already know the answer, you're just looking for a rational. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why torture yourself?!

Personally I find ultras physically easier than marathons, but mentally more challenging.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Pros:

Cons:
    - I mean it's an ultra
    - Snakes?!?
    - $$$$
    - Snakes?!?!

I've done three ultras now, although all my marathons are on trail as well so similar in terms of both training and tactics.

Your training will have to modify a bit. You can wing a 50K on a marathon plan but for 56K you'll need to move to a different training strategy with more back to back longs. I'd be designing in those from weeks 6-12 of a 16 week plan.

Tactically you'll need to get used to walking the climbs. Notwithstanding the point upthread is generally always run the descents, although it's harsh on the quads.

If you're already into trail running I'd question the need for new shoes. I never bother with gaiters but do have a race vest for hydration and mandatory kit. I use Tailwind for preference, so you wouldn't need to get used to running with solid food.

I'd say go for it, but just manage your expectation about a goal time.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Having only run a maximum of 11 miles myself (and only then once, with anything else under 10 miles), I entered a 50k trail ultra.
    I do enjoy trail running generally and was in a particularly hilly part of England (West Yorkshire) - 4400ft of climbs.

I'd done some smaller competitive trail runs before, so knew it'd be walking up the hills - I think I stayed at a steady running pace for the first 10k or so.
    Some of the later climbs were steep enough that hands were used! Ran on all the flat and on the downhills.

I made a point of doing an Australian-style (one day) carb load the day before, but this was a 'friendly' event which included regular food stops (my dog particularly appreciated the hot dog stop :) ).
    Didn't have any problems with that.

Did experience my first ever 'cramp'. And legs weren't in great shape towards the end and much worse the next day.

Overall however; really pleased I did it!

I actually got some knew trail shoes for it; but only because my old ones were getting quite tired.
    We had to have a set of survival kit with us 'just in case' (In other years there's been snow, hail, etc at that time of year), but nothing too bad.