Ultramarathon: yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless you are training for the fricking olympics and are getting paid for it, marathons are a waste of time. Who has the time for that kinda stuff? ;)

You don't have any hobbies?

I wouldn't expect to be paid for running a marathon or training, I do it because it brings me joy.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Unless you are training for the fricking olympics and are getting paid for it, marathons are a waste of time. Who has the time for that kinda stuff? ;)

That's like saying, unless you're actively training to enter the Great British bake off all cake making is a waste of time.

It's more like saying that unless you're actively training to become a contestant on "Chopped" practicing turning a random assortment of esoteric ingredients into a full-fledged dish in 30 minutes is a waste of time.

As a runner myself, I absolutely understand the motivation to run a distance race. That said, it's not foreign to me that it could be considered not the greatest investment in time...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

That's like saying, unless you're actively training to enter the Great British bake off all cake making is a waste of time.

It's more like saying that unless you're actively training to become a contestant on "Chopped" practicing turning a random assortment of esoteric ingredients into a full-fledged dish in 30 minutes is a waste of time.

As a runner myself, I absolutely understand the motivation to run a distance race. That said, it's not foreign to me that it could be considered not the greatest investment in time...

I mean, it's really *not* the greatest use of time (IMO). You're dedicating a lot of time to prepare for a single event and exercising well beyond the base needed for cardiovascular fitness. A lot of times you're rearranging obligations or other hobbies to make time for longer runs.

But that's irrelevant because we all typically do some things that aren't the greatest use of our time (watching television, doing fantasy football, knitting stuff that nobody really needs, learn ballroom dancing, etc). It's sufficient that marathoning is pleasurable for some people, that's all the justification that it needs.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

No it's just someone who live's to get a rise out of people.... and put the ;) in there to cover his *kitten* pffffft!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide what your goals are and what is important to you... As mentioned, you put together a pretty big list of cons--if you can't commit to doing what you need to do then you will probably be pretty miserable.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'd forego the gaiters...If it's a normal ultra where you are strictly on trail and not an adventure run/orienteering meet, you shouldn't be frequently running through thorn bushes. And snakes should be scared off the trail by the time you get there.

If you are worried about the distance, but are looking for a new challenge and enjoy trail running, you might want to check out orienteering.

(ETA: the farthest I've done on both trail and road is about 13 miles..the former being a 6 hr mini-rogaine with some rough terrain-so a LOT of walking to go with the running).
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why torture yourself?!

That's what I thought to myself when I first started running. But I kept at it and have made amazing gains since then.

Why cave in to a little challenge?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    You should definitely go! Running a 56K would be easier on your body than a marathon. When I ran my first marathon I could barely walk for 3 days. The following year I ran my first 50K and recovered so quickly I ran 5 miles the next day.

As far as a goal time? I find that trails vary so widely, it's really hard to even set a goal time unless you've run the same course, in the same conditions.

Let me correct your list/change your perspective:
    Pros:
    - a new challenge to aim for
    - There are no other long races over summer around here to train for
    - Trail running is wonderful
    - The medal is a bottle opener
    - I mean it's an ultra!
    - All the gear!: different shoes, hydration, food, gaiters, etc. I can finally justify getting better socks than wear the probably can't even half *kitten* the socks like I normally do
    - I might see some cool wildlife, like Snakes!!!
    - I get to make a family trip out of the race! I could bring my husband and two kids. Maybe make them my "crew" so they could get involved in my adventure! I bed the kids would think that was pretty cool!
    - Since it's a new distance, guaranteed PR!
    - Did I mention the wildlife?!?

Cons:
    - I mean it's an ultra
    - All the gear: different shoes, hydration, food, gaiters, etc. probably can't even half *kitten* the socks like I normally do
    - Summer could mean very hot
    - Snakes?!?
    - Have to figure out accomodation and transportation, possibly dragging my husband and two young kids along
    - $$$$

- I'm sure I'm still gonna pressure myself to hit a certain time cos I'm pathetic like that
    - Snakes?!?!

I don't know what to tell you about the heat...I'd rather run in sub-zero than over 80

Right there is definitely 1 reason to do an ultra (or any other trail race) instead of a marathon... most likely will have shade and no scorchingly hot blacktop.
  • mfpmishka
    mfpmishka Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Do not listen to non-runners!
    Follow your passion!
    You can do fast walking!
    Learn patience. As many said marathon is much harder on body (or same) as 100 miler because you run at much faster pace, while in ultras you spread your energy throughout longer time.uh1wzhug39dj.jpg

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    mfpmishka wrote: »
    Do not listen to non-runners!
    Follow your passion!
    You can do fast walking!
    Learn patience. As many said marathon is much harder on body (or same) as 100 miler because you run at much faster pace, while in ultras you spread your energy throughout longer time.uh1wzhug39dj.jpg

I wonder if that lady is aware that she's being used as the embodiment of moving slowly?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I *still* haven't decided, but it's been very helpful.
    Honestly the run itself is probably the least of my concerns. It's the logistics and money that are holding me back. I'm a stay at home mum and my husband has basically no hobbies that cost any money and we've already worked a couple of family holidays around races for me. I feel incredibly selfish doing it again.
    I started writing out a training plan on Sunday, just hypothetically, and got so excited, but then started researching accomodation and got bummed again.
    I'm gonna make a decision in the next day or two, and if it's a no-go, will probably sign up for a trail marathon next month that's only an hour away. Not quite the same thing but *something* nonetheless
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am hopefully working back to doing some ultras if I can get over my current stubborn injury! My ultimate goal is to do a 50 miler before I turn 50. We'll see--not a lot of time left! I ran a couple of trail marathons and one 50 K 3.5 years ago. Getting used to running on tired legs with back to back long runs was helpful--I would also run Saturday late afternoon and Sunday morning so there was less time in between. Compression sleeves for my calves were helpful and I bought a hydration vest as well. Gaiters probably not necessary unless you have a really muddy or gravelly route. I used a combination of Tailwind and real food and didn't have any food issues. The key with that is practicing ahead of time so you know what you body can handle/digest on the long runs. I know I get really unhappy without lots of salt, so peanut butter pretzels and other salty things were my favorites.

One way to possibly see what it is like before committing to one yourself is to volunteer to crew or pace an experienced person on a longer length race. I ran the last 25 mi of a 50 miler with my friend. You get to see what mentally, logistically, and physically goes into it without having to do the whole thing yourself! We ended up walking most of the 2nd half of his race, but I got him in under the cutoff. Made me want to get out and try it myself! Now if I can just get past my current 6 mile long run!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Is camping an option as a way to reduce costs?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think training for an ultra is the kind of thing where you have to have 100 percent commitment.
    Cuz it is really hard and time consuming.
    It doesn't sound like you have that.
    So, if I may say: It is okay to be a runner and not want to do marathons and/or ultras. I love running. I love going for six mile runs. Sometimes I go eight. Beyond that? Meh. It gets too boring when you run ten and you have to be out there for an hour and a half.....
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I've had to decide no. Nothing to do with the run itself, or the training, which I would love to do, but just money and logistics. Without a car of my own I'd be dependent on my mum taking me so camping is out, and being a popular holiday area in the middle of summer holidays mean accomodation prices are just nuts, especially for one night, as most places have a two night minimum.

To make it up to myself I've signed up for a trail marathon next month which is reachable by public transport. Luckily I recovered pretty quickly from the Sydney marathon last month and have already built my base back up, and have enough time to fit in 4 long runs before tapering (again!).

Thanks again for the input everyone!
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    (sorry, missed your last update, which makes this moot)
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Trail marathons are a great compromise I think! I treated mine essentially like an ultra (eat ALL the food!), carried my Tailwind (and an extra jacket for the winter one) in my pack, had a drop bag at the half way point for the one that was a loop. Those are all things that will let you practice if you do decide to try the ultra a some point in the future.