Before anyone posts this, let me just cut to the chase.

Options

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I don't even get the premise of the shake weight. What could that possibly do? Or claim to do?

IF i remember right the premise was that the weight shakes forcing you to correct and stabilize your posture/arms in turn "working the muscles". Clearly it was so effective there is no more fat in the world on anyone.
  • ranmalih
    ranmalih Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "a twinkie can claim the same thing".

^^This.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I remember working at Zellers back in the day when that ab shocker belt came out. They were so popular that they'd sell out within a hour of stocking. :|
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't even get the premise of the shake weight. What could that possibly do? Or claim to do?

It will get people a lot of extra/fake steps on their fitbits, so they win every challenge they join :angry:

other things will do that as well . . .

giphy.gif

:laugh:
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    twinkles4 wrote: »
    I remember working at Zellers back in the day when that ab shocker belt came out. They were so popular that they'd sell out within a hour of stocking. :|

I had a frenemy order one of those. She was shocked (pun unintended, but still funny) when it didn't work and the infomercial people wouldn't make good on the money back "guarantee". I think she ordered another one when the first one didn't work too.

Now she's busy pinning ACV and quick fix woo detoxes to her weight loss board instead of just counting calories and exercising.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Cool sculpting. I sit agape at all the cool sculpting commercials during Sunday news programs.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    Not an infomercial, but when I was a kid in the 80s we went to a lot of garage sales. At one of them there was this THING. It had a big belt on a motor on top of a pole and a platform at the bottom. It was painted an a horrible 70s color, maybe that avocado green, or blue. It's been a long time! ;)

I asked my dad what it was, and he stood me on my platform and wrapped the belt around me and turned it on. (It was plugged in) the belt shook my whole body, and I remember it made me giggle a lot because it felt really funny.

My dad told me that they sold these in the 70s to help you lose weight instead of exercising, and that they didn't work, because they just jiggle your fat and don't burn calories. My dad was fat, but he knew a lot about what would and wouldn't work for weight loss and nutrition, he just wouldn't do the work.

I think of that stupid looking machine every time I see a fad weight loss device. Especially the shake weight!

We had one of these growing up! I didn't know it was for weight loss, we just played with it.
  • chnight
    chnight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Cool sculpting. I sit agape at all the cool sculpting commercials during Sunday news programs.

It might work on skinny people that want to get rid of the last tablespoon of fat that they have. Definitely not a miracle procedure for people that need to lose more than that.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    jtjm3m8i43bg.png

The tights are made with microcapsules of caffeine built into the fabric. When your legs heat up, the caffeine activates and is supposed to increase your metabolism and burn fat. The manufacturers claim the wearer can lose two centimeters from their thighs and lessen the appearance of cellulite.

I think I'll stick with my "silver" jogging suit!! ROFL :D:D
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Strengthen grip and forearms for.....
    nvm.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    There is a great South Park episode about shake weights. It's hilarious, and well worth searching for.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ZDeb16 wrote: »
    I remember the silver/aluminum looking jogging suits that made people sweat but thankfully never owned one!

A few people at my fitness center use them. Thankfully they're never there at the same time because They. Smell. Terrible. I couldn't handle more than one at a time. We also have a few who just get bundled up in sweats and hoodies to do the same thing, and they smell just as lovely.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Every time I see a Sono Bello commercial my blood boils. They are selling liposuction like it's some miracle pill that will take off 50 lbs overnight with no effort! The "before and after" pictures are ridiculous. NO surgery or laser treatment makes that much of a difference. How do they not get shut down for fraudulent claims is beyond me.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    fo0cyllksajm.png
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

I used to have a job for a short time writing Google AdSense ads. I was given a list of keywords and had to come up with short ads that would entice people to click (seriously a fun job, if I could do it full time I would, I loved it, so easy but challenging to come up with unique ads that fit in the character limit too). I wrote quite a few Cool Sculpting ads. I didn't even know what it WAS, but I didn't have to, because the ads were all formulaic: "Interested in cool sculpting? $SearchEngine can help you find out more!" type formulas.

After a number of those keywords popped up I got curious so I Googled it. Hard nope. Does not sound fun. I'd rather be fat, and I'm tired of being fat!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I love a good terrible infomercial. One of the highlights of trips to America.

Too true, my surprise with visiting the UK was the crazy topless phone sex commercials that show the girls talking on the phone and moving in some very suggestive motions. We have some of that here but not nearly as much.

We must watch very different channels, ive never seen them and i live in the uk lol