Do you include/count calories from fruits &a veggies?

Options
123457»

Replies

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ellkay2 wrote: »
    Fruit I weigh, veggies I guesstimate. Unless it's frozen vegetables they have quite a bit of calories.

Is this true? Do Frozen veg "have quite a bit of calories"??

Plain frozen veggies would be the same as non-frozen. The ones that are frozen with sauce or other things added could be where "quite a bit" could come in.

Ahh, veggies frozen with sauce. I almost forgot there was such a thing. :smile:

I was thinking maybe the person who said frozen vegetables have quite a bit of calories meant something like "the types of veggies I buy frozen [e.g., corn, peas, green beans, edamame, winter squash] in the amounts I eat them tend to have more calories than the types of veggies I buy fresh [lettuces, greens, cucumber, summer squash, tomatoes, carrots] in the amounts that I eat them."

Maybe s/he will come back and explain.

ETA: I log pretty much all fruits (save maybe for an odd single berry or grape sampled as a "taste test") and most veggies, although I don't always bother with the odd slice or two of tomato or onion or leaf or two of lettuce on a sandwich.

Yes sorry lol I didn't bookmark this thread so I had no idea people were calling me out about frozen vegetables. I meant packaged frozen vegetables. Yes corn, peas, green beans etc. I meant mixed frozen vegetables. I buy a bag from walmart and it's about 100calories per cup. That's "quite a bit of calories". Especially when I could easily eat more than a cup.

Still just depends on the vegetable though...freezing doesn't add calories. The same vegetables fresh would have the same calories as frozen for the same amount.

Ok I obviously understand freezing vegetables doesn't add calories.

I guess I say frozen vegetables because I usually don't buy corn, peas, green beans fresh. I only buy them in frozen mixed vegetable bag form. So for me they are "frozen vegetables".

It does definitely depend on the vegetable but usually the vegetables in a bag of mixed vegetables are higher calorie vegetables. That is what I meant.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    About 300-400 calories of my day come from vegetables and about 300 from fruits and I log everything (when i'm not taking logging breaks). I never weighed vegetables (unless you count starchy things like potatoes as veggies) but I used to weigh fruits when I was trying to actively lose weight. Now that I have a pretty good idea of what the serving size of these items looks like I just log a guess and err towards the side of overestimation.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fruit I weigh, veggies I guesstimate. Unless it's frozen vegetables they have quite a bit of calories.

Plain frozen veggies would be the same as non-frozen. The ones that are frozen with sauce or other things added could be where "quite a bit" could come in.

I was thinking maybe the person who said frozen vegetables have quite a bit of calories meant something like "the types of veggies I buy frozen [e.g., corn, peas, green beans, edamame, winter squash] in the amounts I eat them tend to have more calories than the types of veggies I buy fresh [lettuces, greens, cucumber, summer squash, tomatoes, carrots] in the amounts that I eat them."

ETA: I log pretty much all fruits (save maybe for an odd single berry or grape sampled as a "taste test") and most veggies, although I don't always bother with the odd slice or two of tomato or onion or leaf or two of lettuce on a sandwich.

Yes sorry lol I didn't bookmark this thread so I had no idea people were calling me out about frozen vegetables. I meant packaged frozen vegetables. Yes corn, peas, green beans etc. I meant mixed frozen vegetables. I buy a bag from walmart and it's about 100calories per cup. That's "quite a bit of calories". Especially when I could easily eat more than a cup.

Still just depends on the vegetable though...freezing doesn't add calories. The same vegetables fresh would have the same calories as frozen for the same amount.

I guess I say frozen vegetables because I usually don't buy corn, peas, green beans fresh. I only buy them in frozen mixed vegetable bag form. So for me they are "frozen vegetables".

It does definitely depend on the vegetable but usually the vegetables in a bag of mixed vegetables are higher calorie vegetables. That is what I meant.

Got it -- sorry for misunderstanding you!
  • whosshe
    Options

Got it -- sorry for misunderstanding you!

All good! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to explain what I meant lol

For some reason I just assumed everyone would know what I meant even tho I only said "frozen vegetables" I can definitely see why the misunderstanding happened lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

But this is hardly something you can assume. I never buy corn frozen, only fresh (and only in season). Also, I don't really consider corn and peas "vegetables" as the term is used most commonly. Corn is a grain, and peas are a legume, I think. (I occasionally use frozen peas, but not that often and usually more for an addition to soup or stew, so it's not a huge amount of calories.)

Out of season, I do sometimes buy broccoli and cauliflower frozen, and the calories of those are quite low. I often use canned tomatoes (again, out of season) and frozen berries (fruits, not veg, obv), and those aren't any higher than I would expect given what I know of the calories of those items fresh (not high).
  • whosshe
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

But this is hardly something you can assume. I never buy corn frozen, only fresh (and only in season). Also, I don't really consider corn and peas "vegetables" as the term is used most commonly. Corn is a grain, and peas are a legume, I think. (I occasionally use frozen peas, but not that often and usually more for an addition to soup or stew, so it's not a huge amount of calories.)

Out of season, I do sometimes buy broccoli and cauliflower frozen, and the calories of those are quite low. I often use canned tomatoes (again, out of season) and frozen berries (fruits, not veg, obv), and those aren't any higher than I would expect given what I know of the calories of those items fresh (not high).

For some reason I just assumed people would understand. Maybe it's where I live. I should have used "Frozen Mixed Vegetables" as that's literally the name of the product.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    eylesda wrote: »
    Hey all I am trying to lose weight. I was part of weight watchers, which was working, but then I fell off the wagon and I'm trying the calorie counting approach. In weight watchers I was allowed to eat as many fruits & veggies and they were "0 points" so I'm wondering, how important is it to count fruits and veggie calories in this method (My fitness pal)?
    Thanks!

Just joined only to discover that augmenting my diet plan by eating lots of fruit has pushed me way over recommended carb and sugar allowance even though I am 40% short of recommended calorie intake for the day. So, yes, counting fruit is very important.

@eylesda, concentrate on calories for now, the macro split (carbs, fats, protein) is a guideline, which you can alter to suit your preferred way of eating (though you should be mindful that you are getting enough protein and fat), and the sugar recommendation is actually for added sugar, not the sugars naturally occurring within foods. Unless you have some specific health reason to limit carb and sugar intake, you don't need to worry about them.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    eylesda wrote: »
    Hey all I am trying to lose weight. I was part of weight watchers, which was working, but then I fell off the wagon and I'm trying the calorie counting approach. In weight watchers I was allowed to eat as many fruits & veggies and they were "0 points" so I'm wondering, how important is it to count fruits and veggie calories in this method (My fitness pal)?
    Thanks!

Just joined only to discover that augmenting my diet plan by eating lots of fruit has pushed me way over recommended carb and sugar allowance even though I am 40% short of recommended calorie intake for the day. So, yes, counting fruit is very important.

@eylesda, concentrate on calories for now, the macro split (carbs, fats, protein) is a guideline, which you can alter to suit your preferred way of eating (though you should be mindful that you are getting enough protein and fat), and the sugar recommendation is actually for added sugar, not the sugars naturally occurring within foods. Unless you have some specific health reason to limit carb and sugar intake, you don't need to worry about them.

x2 :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

For some reason I just assumed people would understand. Maybe it's where I live. I should have used "Frozen Mixed Vegetables" as that's literally the name of the product.

It doesn't matter, you cleared it up, but I totally would never assume "frozen vegetables" mean corn and peas (let alone only corn and peas) when it's a much larger category and when I don't count corn or peas as a vegetable in the sense I think this thread means (they count for me as interchangeable with my starch side, I'd have them instead of rice, not instead of broccoli). But more importantly I now understand what you mean and that you were not claiming that freezing vegetables makes them high cal. I know that sounds nuts, but that I've definitely heard similar things on MFP, including people claiming that frozen veg (because frozen only) are somehow bad for you or less nutritious or to be avoided, which is of course not true (and counterproductive when they can be the cheapest option out of season and some claim vegetables are too expensive).
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I eyeball my veg (save for the starchy ones) but I still track them. Not only for day to day calories, but also so I know what the heck I ate on a given day. I recently went back through my diary at a time when I was most successful, so I could remind myself what I was doing right. If I'd not logged my veggies etc, it would have been a patchier diary to review.

That's exactly the same as me, My leafy veg (and I eat a lot of it) I will ballpark.

But also if you use the recipe builder you can go back to a particularly good recipe and make it again. I make this (accidentally vegan) curry that is amazing, about 350kcal for a massive bowl, I vaguely remembered making it so went back to check.
  • livendive
    livendive Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My lunch is virtually the same 4-5 days per week...a single serving package of hummus and about 20 ounces of cucumbers, sugar snap peas, celery sticks, and cherry tomatoes, sometimes with broccoli substituting for something. I just made a recipe with the average composition and use that to log lunch every day... No repetitive weighing required and deviations in the veggies are trivial from a calorie counting perspective, but I like tracking the vitamins and fiber.