What is/was your favorite thing about NOT having kids?

Options

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids by choice - for many of the reasons above.

One thing I miss about my friends who DO have kids is being able to just hang out and talk with them. Now it's all about the kids: entertaining the kids, checking on the kids, talking about the kids, etc. I like kids, but I also liked my friends and have drifted away from more than one after they spawned because it's tough to find the adult time and relate to each others' lives anymore.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids by choice - for many of the reasons above.

One thing I miss about my friends who DO have kids is being able to just hang out and talk with them. Now it's all about the kids: entertaining the kids, checking on the kids, talking about the kids, etc. I like kids, but I also liked my friends and have drifted away from more than one after they spawned because it's tough to find the adult time and relate to each others' lives anymore.

I can understand that. Kids are the most important people in our lives. And everything else comes second.
    But I do my best to meet my girlfriends for girls only dinner or shenanigans at least once every other month. It's so easy to stop being anything else but a mom, but you can't/shouldn't.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I can't honestly think of anything. I still do the same things now before I had kids... just with them. :#
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I can't honestly think of anything. My kid made me a better person, not the other way around :#

My kids made me a better person too...that doesn't mean there aren't certain things I miss pre-kid. Missing something pre-kid doesn't mean having kids made you a worse person...it means there were certain things that you could do or more readily and easily do before having kids.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I can't honestly think of anything. My kid made me a better person, not the other way around :#

How's realizing that some things can get annoying being a worst person? I don't get it.
    I'm sure you thought waking up every two hours with a newborn was a blast too!!

What we are saying has nothing to do with being a better person or not. Or enjoying our kids or not. Not everything is black or white.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My kids made me a better person too...that doesn't mean there aren't certain things I miss pre-kid. Missing something pre-kid doesn't mean having kids made you a worse person...it means there were certain things that you could do or more readily and easily do before having kids.

I understand that, but I can do anything I want now that I used to do before. I guess having my own garage would be one... way too much kid stuff packed everywhere... in every room...
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options

How's realizing that some things can get annoying being a worst person? I don't get it.
    I'm sure you thought waking up every two hours with a newborn was a blast too!!

What we are saying has nothing to do with being a better person or not. Or enjoying our kids or not. Not everything is black or white.

Let me edit my post so I don't offend anyone else. You guys took what I said wrong.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a child with disabilities and one not...love them to death, would do anything for them. I never have the luxury of anticipating the day when I am an empty nester....and I think, over all, that may be the one thing I wish I could change. No matter how strong your love and devotion...sometimes, your just tired.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I miss being able to drive across the country to watch 80s movies with people I met on the internet.

Sucks it had to come to an end. I will forever reminisce the good ol' days.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    So glad my kids are grown. Instead of taking one vacation a year with the kids now my husband and I can take 3 - 4 vacations a year without them!!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, one thing I notice is that a lot of parents seem to be slaves to their children.

I think my favourite thing about not having kids is all my "me" time. And quiet, and not having the responsibility.
  • dudehitscar
    dudehitscar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I miss being able to be more impulsive without consequences..
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    My son moved out when he was 18. He bought his house when he was 20. He's now 25 and I just recently moved out on my own so we each have complete freedom. He was a great kid and a lot of fun but it's even better now that he's maturing and understanding adult life. We have a good relationship but with entirely separate lives. We talk every day and see each other regularly, but my life doesn't revolve around his and I made sure it was that way. It's better for both of us.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I understand that, but I can do anything I want now that I used to do before. I guess having my own garage would be one... way too much kid stuff packed everywhere... in every room...

I would think that highly unlikely. Life without kids provides for way more "freedom" and much less responsibility. Just as an example, if my wife is out of town for work, I can't just get up in the morning and go for a ride or hit the gym...I have to be there because they are young...they need to get ready for school...I have to take them to school...I have to pick them up later and get them dinner and do homework and I can't swap out a morning ride for an evening ride because I have to be there.

Not that it's a bad thing...but I can acknowledge that I had a lot more freedom and could be far more spontanious and impulsive before I had kids.