What is/was your favorite thing about NOT having kids?

Options

Replies

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Taking a shower without anybody knocking at the door. Every.single.time. To ask something that is not even important.

Honestly, it would never have occurred to me to disturb my parents when they were in the bathroom. I don't remember if they told me not to or if I figured it out myself, but whatever I wanted could wait until they came out. I was a pretty independent little cuss anyway.

I'm child-free and lovin' it, and the S.S. Reproduction sailed a long time ago so I won't be changing my mind. I especially love spur-of-the-moment weekend getaways to places that interest ME, and not places that will appeal to a child (or bore the heck out of it so it whines the whole time).
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for. All my kids are grown up. No matter how much time you spend with them as they grow up, it's not enough.

This why I would say the one thing I miss is the ability to just sit down and watch a grown up show or play a video game or... just sit down. I do not do those things now because I know that before I know it they won't need or want me around. Until then I am going to enjoy every moment I can with them.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    I value sleep, solitude, and being able to do my own thing when I want. While I love children generally, I am really REALLY okay being childless by choice and being able to put me first 90% of the time.

THIS, all of this. I love my little niece, but I love even more that I'm not the one having to raise her. I value my independence, my ability to do whatever TF I want when I want, and not having to plan about a kid. I've just never had that maternal drive other people have.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just have time alone without having to stay up until 2AM to have a moment of peace & quiet or time to myself. One or both of mine are at my side 15+ hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am a 62 y/o female. I never wanted kids, never had them by choice, NEVER regretted it. Probably because I grew up in a household where I was the oldest of seven children and felt like I did my time as a "mom". I was fortunate to fall in love with and marry a man who did not want them either. We have long since been divorced, but to answer your question, I loved having the freedom: to travel, relocate on a whim, start a business, take classes, and generally - just have lots of adventures. I have a ton of nieces and nephews, and some of them now have children - and I have found that to be enough for me....
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have made it to 38 with no kids, never wanted them, but live vicariously because I get to be the cool uncle who travels the world (for free, work for an airline) and always bring back cool stuff!
  • Mikel4123
    Mikel4123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Being able to watch football instead of PJ Masks on Disney lol
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Not having to plan dinner around picky eaters.
    At Christmas I don't have to buy the latest expensive toy.

Wait, you've been married before so you know that one doesn't really work.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I have made it to 38 with no kids, never wanted them, but live vicariously because I get to be the cool uncle who travels the world (for free, work for an airline) and always bring back cool stuff!

On behalf of all parents everywhere, I’d like to say stop bringing my kids crap, they don’t appreciate it and they’re already spoiled as it is. :smirk:
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mikel4123 wrote: »
    Being able to watch football instead of PJ Masks on Disney lol

For me thats actually a harder choice than I care to admit. PJ Masks is a really good cartoon haha
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    It would be cool to not have to hide the good snacks from the kids.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    My son moved out when he was 18. He bought his house when he was 20. He's now 25 and I just recently moved out on my own so we each have complete freedom. He was a great kid and a lot of fun but it's even better now that he's maturing and understanding adult life. We have a good relationship but with entirely separate lives. We talk every day and see each other regularly, but my life doesn't revolve around his and I made sure it was that way. It's better for both of us.

This! My kids are finally adult age, and I have all the things back everyone misses when they have kids, only I have a kid. And we have a great relationship, but his life is his and mine is back to mine.

It's only when you screw up that they live in your basement until they are 35. Really, you're only in it for 18 years. 16 if you teach them how to run their own lives, then you're just providing a roof and some advice from time to time.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I have a dog who is MY SON but it's nice that my husband and I can leave our six year old baby at home for 8 hours and not have the police called on us

Wait till that dog gets elected mayor of your town. Those rules will change real fast.
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

On behalf of all parents everywhere, I’d like to say stop bringing my kids crap, they don’t appreciate it and they’re already spoiled as it is. :smirk:

Hmm they told me they would like a drum set and a Didgeridoo from my next trip to australia!
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Hmm they told me they would like a drum set and a Didgeridoo from my next trip to australia!

If you like them so much, I’ll just send them with you. The younger one will make you want to trade her straight up for a kit kat, and tbh I’m okay if you come home with only one of them.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

If you like them so much, I’ll just send them with you. The younger one will make you want to trade her straight up for a kit kat, and tbh I’m okay if you come home with only one of them.

You better try and get half of that kit kat too...smh, leaving money/food on the table like that.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

You better try and get half of that kit kat too...smh, leaving money/food on the table like that.

Desperate times
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Seeing my niece and nephew simultaneously makes me want kids and not want kids. They are so cute and funny but the fits, throwing food in restaurants, having to leave everything early bc they need a nap, the look on my sister's and her man's face says maybe they aren't so great. I remember babysitting my niece on the regular when she was a toddler and she would sit outside the bathroom door crying and putting her hand under the door like a cat and I'm sorry, but a kid staring at me when I'm in there is a no. I've been with her in public by myself while she threw a fit and having everyone look at me like I'm a bad parent. hmmm I've had a small taste of that life. But even still, baby fever hits from time to time. When I get to see them I'm stuck to them like glue.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't have children by choice.

Although I love other peoples kids, my fear is that I would *kitten* them up royally as they don't quite get sarcasm until they are much older. The little ones are smarter than you give them credit for and the trauma of my jokes and dry humor would result in years of therapy for them, on my dime. I do hand it to everyone that has them though...tough job!!