Being middle age struggle

Options
Struggling getting 20 off. I guess age is a problem. But any ideas would be appreciated:)

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Age is not the problem.
    I am 40, think I look better now than I did in my 20's.
    My only problem is my joints.

Have to be on top of your calories, and work hard.
    Nothing comes easy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Age isn't a problem. Honesty is. Tell the truth to your food diary and stay within your calorie budget.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is much, much more about calories in than it is about calories out. You don't need crazy hard exercise (or even any exercise) to lose weight.

If you want to move more, that's a good thing for your overall health. Walking and yoga are great starters. @JeromeBarry1 is right, stay within your calorie budget.
  • juliedunlap
    juliedunlap Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Consistency and discipline have always been the key to success no matter what you are trying to achieve. It is hard work but it will pay off. Good Luck
  • pegd1982
    pegd1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Consistency and discipline...

My mantra
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I am almost 40 and look better than when I was 20.
  • Barfly57
    Options

Same, except I'm 60 :#
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Barfly57 wrote: »

Same, except I'm 60 :#

That's awesome!! I wanna look better at 60 that 40...
  • Madgewillbehealthy
    Madgewillbehealthy Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Age is a problem!! I am 47 and find it so hard to lose weight now. My doctor says around this age when our hormones are changing that it is difficult to lose weight
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Age is a problem!! I am 47 and find it so hard to lose weight now. My doctor says around this age when our hormones are changing that it is difficult to lose weight

Your doctor makes money when you are unhealthy. Keep that in mind. Don't grasp at the straw excuses your doctor offers.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

It is just that we stop doing active stuff, and keep eating the way we did.

I lost my weight at age 53 (70+ pounds.) I've kept it off for ten years plus.

It's just a matter of keeping track of what I eat, and how much. A bit of daily exercise helps, too.
  • Madgewillbehealthy
    Options
    Yes I know that thanks...but my Doctor at the "hospital" states it can be harder around 45-50 due to hormones :)
  • Madgewillbehealthy
    Options
    Jeremy you're a man sweetie with no knowledge of hormones but thank you for that
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Please don't use age as an excuse - if found it easier to lose weight and get fit in my 50's.
    Food labelling, MyFitnessPal for accountability and precision, more time to myself now the kids are self-sufficient....

There's always an excuse if you aren't committed enough. Sorry that might sound harsh by my biggest regret is hanging on to a stupid excuse and staying fat for my 30's and 40's.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes I know that thanks...but my Doctor at the "hospital" states it can be harder around 45-50 due to hormones :)

It's also harder being fat and unfit when you are getting older. Choose your hard.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    One thing that can change as we age is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure/aka maintenance). As we age, many of us gradually lose lean muscle mass. Lean muscle is use it or lose it. Lean muscle also burns calories at rest.

Look up an estimate your TDEE for age 20 and for your current age - there's a difference, but it's not insurmountable.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Barfly57
    Options
    Jeremy you're a man sweetie with no knowledge of hormones but thank you for that

I'm a man and I know a little about hormones: like how HIIT can boost HGH and testosterone.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm 70 it may be slower to lose weight but still can be done. Good luck