Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• SpaghettiPig
    SpaghettiPig Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have been practising IF in different forms (16:8; 20:4; 23:1 depending on how my work day pans out and on how I feel that day) for about 4 weeks. Lost about 14lbs in 4 weeks so seems to be working.

Find it almost impossible to reach calorie goal each day (set at 2400 to lose 2lbs a week) an am averaging about 1700. Just not hungry and feeing full. Perhaps eating more fat during feeding times makes me feel fuller.

Read contradictory things about metabolism: IF increases it; prolonged calorie restriction decreases it.

Any views or advice welcome.
  • alexandriashelby89
    alexandriashelby89 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Really thinking about doing IF, but I was just curious if you all only count it as a fast if all you consume is water? Or do you allow unsweetened tea/no calorie beverages? Or even any beverage in general?
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    Really thinking about doing IF, but I was just curious if you all only count it as a fast if all you consume is water? Or do you allow unsweetened tea/no calorie beverages? Or even any beverage in general?

@alexandriashelby89 Personally I only drink water, but herbal tea is fine too. As some people want to avoid any chance of an insulin response, therefore avoid caffeines. Basically to give the system a rest
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 23:1 but I also do occasional prolonged fasting beyond 2 days. This week I'm going to try IF on a 47:1 basis to see how I get on. Apparently as far as the benefits of IF goes, there's no real benefit for weight loss by going beyond 23:1 or 47:1 at the absolute max. I find IF really helps me and at the moment is easier than Keto for me anyway.
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey Cam, modern family is canceling your contract. You’re supposed to be the funny fat guy.
  • LifeChange561
    LifeChange561 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    It's 2diffrent people there's not the same tattooon the arm what's up with that

Could be but also may have gotten a nice tattoo anytime after the "before' pic was taken.

I mean mabey but his tattoo looks old and that pic looks recent so idk

STOP BEING A HATER!!!! LOL
  • starchaser888
    starchaser888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started IF this week and am down about 3 lbs, hope this keeps up. I am doing one meal in the evening and fasting the rest of the time with only coffee and water and some bone broth through the day. I have found that it's not hard at all and when it's time to eat I don't attack the food like I thought I might. Also find that I get full fast and don't tend to eat everything on my plate. It's not that hard for me as I never was a breakfast eater and lunch would be skipped if I was busy so it's just a matter of keeping your mind on other things. If anyone wants to friend me and do the journey together by all means do so!
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You look great. I do 16:8 IF and stopped counting calories. Just eat what I like until I feel satisfied. I wanted to fight my snacking habits that caused weight loss stall. l hoped to lose fat, not muscle this way. So far very happy with my progress.
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    Great job ! IF'er here, I follow 19/5. Dropped 35 lbs in 9 weeks. Have a great one.
  • AddmanLetsDoThis
    Options
    Well done to the OP. Massive achievement and one that will inspire me knowing that IF works

I have just started IF , I have watched many videos and read a couple of books. It makes sense to me. 16/8 is really easy to do. The only issue I have is when I switch to night shift ( 12hrs ) Im awake for 24+ hrs the 1st night. Therefore Im not sleeping during the fasting. Since Ive just started IF I will work a way to do it with night shift.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    So if my last meal is before 7pm and I eat again at 7:30am is that fasting?
  • camfit123
    camfit123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oops, I forgot to include the link to the article.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!!

Highest of fives!!!

I cut out my evening snack, then started not eating breakfast.

You’re right, it’s not hard.

Congratulations!!
  • jasminedmarks
    jasminedmarks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great transformation OP!! I never heard of IF before reading this post and I'm wondering if I've been doing IF and didn't even realize it. I eat in the morning between 7 am and 8 am, then I don't eat again until my lunch between 12 pm and 2 pm. That's all I'll eat during the day until the next morning. Is that considered IF?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!