Do you tell people?

Options
Following on from a thread I have been reading about people making negative comments when you are making healthy choices, I am wondering now if people tell others that they are tracking their intake and making a conscious effort to lose weight?

I am hit and miss with it, depending who it is. Some people (dad, bf, friends) know I am "trying to be sensible" to shift some weight, I have only really told people I am counting who I know have followed some kind of programme themselves (a couple of work colleagues, mum) and so will understand the weighing and tracking.
My boyfriend doesn't even know I am counting - I have no idea why I didn't tell him, but I just said I was trying to be good but would relax more at weekends (which I do, I allow higher calories than in the week)! It's almost like I am ashamed of it, when really, shouldn't I be proud that I am making changes? Perhaps it is because he is super skinny and eats like a horse that I don't expect him to understand that I need the structure.

Anyway, I am rambling, I am just curious as to how open others are, and the reactions they get as a result.

Replies

• smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    On one hand I am glad it's not just me, but on the other - isn't it really quite sad that people in general can take issue with someone just trying to make themselves a healthier version of them!
  • smh_cliff
    Options
    That's got to be frustrating @bluespark278 !!
    My mum is amazing, but she is also trying to shed some weight herself so certainly wouldn't be judgy. I hadn't seen her for a few weeks until last Thursday and she noticed I lost weight so I told her about it - she then sat and looked up the app (whether she has used it I don't know)! I am hoping she gets on board and I can go there for dinner more lol.

@tracymegan That is awesome, but my friends just try to feed me beer!!
  • idare_fitness
    idare_fitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like to tell people who are close to me (dad, mom, fiance, sister). However, I also like to talk to people who are also counting (MFP members, fitness instructors, etc). I do not like to talk to people who are close-minded. I hate hearing "Why? There isn't anything wrong with you, you look fine!" I need structure and constructive criticism. I wish I had a drill sergeant on my back at all times or someone slapping me around telling me "NO!" if I touch a donut. I lack in motivation, but I also lack in needed support.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Never. It's no one's business, plus it's a really uninteresting topic of conversation. There are so many better things to talk about.

This. Only my spouse and one close friend know.
  • smh_cliff
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Never. It's no one's business, plus it's a really uninteresting topic of conversation. There are so many better things to talk about.

Of course, it isn't something I would sit in the pub and discuss. I am thinking more along the lines of people you regularly eat with and whether you explain the sudden change in the choices you are making.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I lost 200 lbs. People knew something changed. I didn't mind telling people if they asked, but honestly it got annoying, mainly because talking about it and talking about myself so much bored me.
  • smh_cliff
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I lost 200 lbs. People knew something changed. I didn't mind telling people if they asked, but honestly it got annoying, mainly because talking about it and talking about myself so much bored me.

There's certainly no hiding a loss like that - and nor would you want to!

I just feel a bit self conscious I think - I have ALWAYS been a burger and a pint kinda girl and now find myself trying to find a balance that isn't so calorific but isn't something that will invite the questions - but I don't know why I care!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Close friends and immediate family only since my habit changes could likely impact them. It's nobody else's business.
  • tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    smh_cliff wrote: »
    That's got to be frustrating @bluespark278 !!
    My mum is amazing, but she is also trying to shed some weight herself so certainly wouldn't be judgy. I hadn't seen her for a few weeks until last Thursday and she noticed I lost weight so I told her about it - she then sat and looked up the app (whether she has used it I don't know)! I am hoping she gets on board and I can go there for dinner more lol.

@tracymegan That is awesome, but my friends just try to feed me beer!!

• tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Get them to make it light beer or hard liquor with a calorie free mixer. they go way further with way less calories
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My immediately family (parents, sister, husband) is aware because I'm around them the most and we have lots of family meals. They just let me do whatever I want and don't give me a hard time about it. A few of my co-workers have picked up on it during lunch, I've gotten the "she eats like a bird" (which I don't) comment a few times, I just smile and say "I'm fine with this, thanks." And they know I walk every day during my lunch break. But I've never had anyone be negative towards me or harass me about my food choices. Occasionally my husband will try and talk me into "being bad" and just eating whatever with him.. sometimes I give in. Overall though I haven't had anyone say anything negative to me and if they did I'd probably jut brush it/them off.. it's none of their business. I do love when friends/co-workers ask me if I'm watching what I eat/counting calories and then I tell them yes and that I've lost 26lb so far, blows them away!
  • smh_cliff
    Options
    tracymegan wrote: »
    Get them to make it light beer or hard liquor with a calorie free mixer. they go way further with way less calories

I've just completed 2 weeks alcohol free to teach myself that I don't have to binge drink with them. Aiming for another week and half when I have a week off work starting in the hope I will maintain some of the willpower!
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I only talk to people who can understand it. Like I have a few friends who are bodybuilders, they understand the actual science behind it and what actions yield what results and why. I feel like anyone who doesn't understand these things is going to be judgy, even if they don't mean to be. If you don't think they'll have any advice or knowledge about it, I don't really see any reason to talk to them about it in the first place.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    if anyone asks I'm 'counting calories'