Low carb people

Options
So after having a baby 1 year ago I have been having trouble losing the weight. Counting calories always worked for me and it just hasn’t this time around. Iv has my thyroid checked and everything has come back normal. I’m now trying low carb in hopes my body might react to it better. If you ever lost weight on low carb how long did it take to start seeing results?

Replies

• cbmaximus1
    cbmaximus1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started a ketogenic diet, and lost three pounds last week, but the time it takes for a person to enter ketosis varies. I've been pretty strict though. Not sure which carb diet you're following, but just a heads up this app doesn't net your carbs so don't forget to subtract your fiber when looking at your total. Best of luck.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    are you breastfeeding? before taking on a strict diet you need to consider this. For example, Atkins early phases are not suitable if you are breastfeeding.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also see the low carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • LauraHerman1
    LauraHerman1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight and body fat for a long time and wanted tp drop my BF and build muscle.So I hired a trainer and told her my goals. She put me on a cut of low calories (1250 basically my BMR), low carbs (94 g per day)and high protein (141g per day). I have logged everything I eat into MFP and I was able to loose 7 pounds in seven weeks. I have lost inches off my waist and tummy and bust so I know I have lost fat. Probably some muscle as well. Once I'm done with this cut I will start eating more and try to gain muscle. I'm 5' tall and weigh 101.5 pounds. I was 109 with 29% BF before this cut. Try lowering your carbs even just a little and see if hat helps.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight and body fat for a long time and wanted tp drop my BF and build muscle.So I hired a trainer and told her my goals. She put me on a cut of low calories (1250 basically my BMR), low carbs (94 g per day)and high protein (141g per day). I have logged everything I eat into MFP and I was able to loose 7 pounds in seven weeks. I have lost inches off my waist and tummy and bust so I know I have lost fat. Probably some muscle as well. Once I'm done with this cut I will start eating more and try to gain muscle. I'm 5' tall and weigh 101.5 pounds. I was 109 with 29% BF before this cut. Try lowering your carbs even just a little and see if hat helps.

just as an FYI 94 grams of carbs isn't that low...however your calories are esp if you are working out a lot and not eating back the calories...

PS you don't gain muscle while losing 1lb a week...
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think if you get super motivated to weigh everything you eat, log it, and stay within your calorie allotment, you will lose weight. Choosing a low carb diet is more about how it makes you feel.

For me, eating higher protein and fat and lower carb (90ish) helps me comply with a calorie deficit. I'm not as hungry and don't get cravings, so it's easy to stay on track long term.

Being the mom of a one year old is hard! You get little time for yourself and possibly are sleep deprived. That makes it all the harder to plan your diet and cook for yourself. But you can do it! Best wishes!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I now eat keto for hunger/energy management - still follows the law of calorie counting but I have found it much easier to stay on track with calories. You get a quick drop in weight when starting keto due to your glycogen stores emptying which is motivating to start, but results are similar to normal calorie counting.
  • Riverwild77
    Riverwild77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did this diet one time and to be honest I regret it, I was loosing 3-5lbs a week on average . I did this diet over a 3 month period and lost 50lbs, I went from 225lbs to 173lbs. At first I felt fine , but later on I started feeling rough, I think it’s unhealthy long term, I didn’t feel right, it is a way to loose weight fast but I don’t think it’s the healthiest way
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm on the ketogenic diet. It's not a quick fix or a substitute for calorie counting - calories still count and you can gain weight eating low carb. But it does help reduce insulin spikes and does help in weight loss, especially if you have metabolic issues, which I have. I have lost 44 lbs, 9 of it with paleo and 35 with keto since the end of June. I started seeing drops in weight within a week, but that's water weight, you have to go longer than a couple of weeks to lose fat. I have a lot more energy than I had previously, and I'm also strength training - so I'm not dropping quite as quickly as some, but I'm definitely losing inches. I'm still on it and it's worked well for me lifestyle-wise as well as results-wise, but YMMV.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No need for fancy diets - keto shows fast results in the short term but is not sustainable and makes you feel like crap - so just follow calories in, calories out and aim for a slow and steady loss of 2lbs per week. Weigh all your food, log all your food, don't weigh yourself but measure your body once per month and be patient.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started with a low carb diet. Mainly because I knew I couldn't just have a serving of the bread, rice, pasta, or potato. 1.5 months of that. Then I brought back bread and rice. I add these into my calories after my meat and vegetables. I have yet to bring back potatoes or pasta. (I have had a bite of potato here or there but I don't plan on it in my meals.) For noodles I substitute spaghetti squash and sometimes just rice. I am hoping by the end of 3 months I can bring pasta and potatoes back in with out over eating them. Baby steps! I have noticed the less carbs I have the less bloat I have.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

just as an FYI 94 grams of carbs isn't that low...however your calories are esp if you are working out a lot and not eating back the calories...

PS you don't gain muscle while losing 1lb a week...

She said she probably lost muscle as well.

I have read low carb defined as anything below 150gm/day. I lost weight on 100 or less but when I can stick to it, below 30 is where I feel the best and see the best results. At least I can maintain my loss when my carbs creep up. I can read it over and over but 1500 high carb calories and 1500 low car calories are not seen as equal in my body during a loss phase. And my very well used food scale can attest to its use.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    in all frankness low carb does not guarantee weight loss...you could gain if you eat too much.

If Counting calories wasn't working it was due to not accounting correctly.

Either because you aren't using a food scale or aren't logging accurately with correct entries etc.

I have PCOS and everything I've read so far has suggested low carb since calorie counting just might not work. That in studies women who went low carb instead of low calorie alone were more successful. Because of PCOS the body can't breakdown insulin like it's suppose to.

I don't know if I can go low carb though. Everything I love is carbs lol
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    in all frankness low carb does not guarantee weight loss...you could gain if you eat too much.

Either because you aren't using a food scale or aren't logging accurately with correct entries etc.

I have PCOS and everything I've read so far has suggested low carb since calorie counting just might not work. That in studies women who went low carb instead of low calorie were more successful. Because of PCOS the body can't breakdown insulin like it's suppose to.

I have PCOS. Im way to lazy right now to do the whole giant point i normally make, But i will say i lost over 100 pounds in 13 months with PCOS eating high carb. I was miserable when i tried low carb- Constant hunger. Second i gave up on comparing myself to others based on something that may or may not happen based on PCOS II lost the weight.

Point summed up i normally make is take the time to learn YOUR body. Your not a textbook or a case study or any of that. Yes take the information in, Keep it in mind and even go right ahead and test the information. But, You do you at the end of the day. Low carb isnt necessary for all.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have PCOS and everything I've read so far has suggested low carb since calorie counting just might not work. That in studies women who went low carb instead of low calorie alone were more successful. Because of PCOS the body can't breakdown insulin like it's suppose to.

If you stay in a deficit...no matter how you get there...you lose weight.

With PCOS it might be slower due to CO part of the equation but again low carb is just another way of being in a calorie deficit.