Where Should I Start?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,579 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In the salt issue specifically: Do you have a health condition that requires you to limit sat/sodium, or are you just thinking it's "bad for you"?

If the latter, one option is "don't worry about it", at least for now. I love salt. I eat salty foods (fermented sauerkraut, pickles cheeses, soy sauce, you name it) freely every day. I sprinkle it on lots of food, besides. Occasionally, I even just eat salt (a bit, not spoonfuls!).

None of that prevented me losing about third of my body weight, down to the 120s at 5'5". None of that prevented my blood pressure going from pre-hypertensive (at 183 pounds) to low normal BP (102/70 at the doctor's office today). None of that prevented my cholesterol/triglycerides dropping from dangerously high to solidly in the normal range.

Unless you have a health condition or genetic predisposition that requires limiting it, it's not the devil.

I was struggling with low blood pressure for a while. It resulted in me passing out a lot. I saw a cardiologist and he advised that I increase my salt intake because my BP was so low. Ever since then, I've eaten a lot of salt. I keep track of my BP and it's at a normal level. However, I feel like it is making me swell up. My ankles stay swollen especially. The elastic of my socks cut into my skin. I also struggle with getting my engagement ring off/on my finger. My fingers are really swollen. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my salt intake, but my mother said that I am retaining fluids because of my salt intake. She has a medical history, so I listen to her.

Those sound like good reasons to limit it, then - at least for long enough to know whether it's the cause - or rather to find the right amount that keeps your BP where you want it, but doesn't lead to swelling. Do make it a point to drink adequate (not crazy excessive) amounts of water, though. You might want to consult further with your doctor, and maybe ask for a referral to a registered dietician, concerning this issue.

Best wishes!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You can eat fast food every day and lose weight. I lost 50 pounds working at Taco Bell (and NOT from GI problems either) and eating there 6 days a week. I didn't continue to lose because I ate too much and didn't watch WHAT I was eating (the loss came from going from sedentary to very active suddenly).

You can easily count calories and lose weight at McDonald's. The macro balance of a simple burger is pretty good, and I know they have other low calorie options too.