Anxiety ever make you sick?

Options

Replies

• Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    MizMareedy wrote: »
    I have debilitating anxiety. I take a medication for it to help. For acute attacks I have a different medication that helps me too. Nowadays I have between 1-3 acute attacks a year - I used to have them weekly and sometimes I'd end up in the ER. My symptoms were severe muscle constriction (my feet, legs and hands would stiffen to the point of pain - hyperventilating, sweating, uncontrollable crying, an intense fear and feeling of impending doom, and I've even peed myself during my worst attack which was about 6 years ago. Have attacks are the WORST memories of my adult life. When I have the panic attacks nothing comforts me. I can't get in control of myself. If I begin to have one, I'll take a medicine and it prevents it from getting out of control.

In my personal experience - I'd rather spend 5 bucks a month for the medication that works and not spend 10+ hours (and a hundred-hundred fifty a session) a month in talk therapy. That's ONLY my opinion. I didn't have the greatest up bringing - and it's the root of my issues - and before you judge me for taking the pill route - know that I've spent years in therapy already. I am not making time now for any more - I've got many other things on my plate. It's a decision I've made that has worked very well for me. I don't have side effects from the medication. I'm always curious to hear about both sides of this discussion.

I've been judged a LOT for choosing medication over talk/cognitive therapy.

There is nothing wrong with someone using any sort of medication prescribed my a doctor. After going through intense mental trauma, I used marijuana in my younger 20s to relieve anxiety and help me sleep, but sometimes it made anxiety worse. Your particular anxiety attacks sounds terrible. I'm so sorry.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I was the exact same way as a kid. Stomach aches every single day. I didn't realize until I was an adult that it was actually anxiety. I've tried meds a couple times but they either made me sleep all the time or made the panic attacks worse. Now it's just something I deal with on my own. Luckily my husband is amazing and knows how to help me avoid certain situations and get me through them. I feel for anyone that deals with it because it can be absolutely crippling. I hope you find a way to get through them easier <3

I'm glad you have such a supportive husband. Thank you for your response! <3
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »
    Yes ma'am. I have crippling anxiety, have since I was a little girl. I always joke that I've had anxiety since before I knew what anxiety was.

And it can absolutely make you 'sick'-- Anxiety = stress, and the effects of stress on the human body have been proven to be detrimental. The catch is trying to reduce it, which I have not been successful at. I don't know how to NOT be anxious about everything.

I know! How do you turn off anxiety? I just wonder what causes anxiety as early as childhood? That's me. I wonder what could have helped me as a child had my parents recognized it. I was just such a quiet child and never complained, so how could they know? I've learned to enjoy life more, but I can't even walk past people on the track or go to the gym without feeling uncomfortable.

I've honestly just accepted that I'm quite literally ALWAYS anxious. I'm always tense. I know how I am, and how my brain works, and the best people in my life accept it and try to help make it better.

I understand so much, though. You are definitely not alone.

Are there certain things you can pinpoint that make it worse? New situations? Social interactions. For instance, small talk is practically painful for me. It almost physically hurts.

New situations for sure! I am very socially anxious. Small talk with aquaintences, especially men are terribly intimidating! Men are the worst for me to talk to. I don't mean dating. I mean all adult males related to work, gym, etc. Men scare me! Always have been scared of men since I was a kid lol.
  • jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Anxiety aint no joke....i have dealt with it since i been 11....ive been prescribed meds for it but chose not to take them...side effects were worse than the anxiety (erectile dysfunction)...Seriously why woukd i want to risk that but anyway mine got way worse over the years to where i have 1 attack atleast every day
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    My anxiety has actually gotten worse as I've gotten older. What I could tolerate as a 20 something, I can no longer adjust to as easily in my 30s. It's bad enough that I chose (after long dithering over it) to remain on anti-anxiety medication.

However, I don't vomit (and have never to my knowledge) because I get anxious. I get violent stomach cramps and end up having to hide in a bathroom because of it. Apparently, the doctor I had as a young adult said my extreme stress and anxiety was causing my IBS to massively flare up (and I'll admit, it was terrible regardless of how much I changed my diet).

I haven't figured out which is worse: soul crushing depression or anxiety so severe that you don't leave your house and socialize with people because you fear your anxiety kicking in and driving you away.

And yes, I sympathize. As a person who has high anxiety related to being around groups of people, if I feel anxiety creeping up, I immediately remove myself to another location and hide out. And sometimes, I do it and I'm only talking to one or two people.. people I've known my entire life. And yes, it's incredibly frustrating trying to explain to them that medication doesn't automatically make me "happy" or "not anxious", it just helps me be functional and doesn't always mitigate outside circumstances.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »
    I have it to. i can relate to having it in grade school. it sucks as far as geing over it. i don't have no advise except chellenge the things that give you trouble. one of mine was driving but now it seacond nature. sure it sill scary but it's not that bad. put me in a crowed room or left with strangers. heck no.. i hate with a passion christmas shopping. to many people

Omg I hated driving too! I got my license at 16, but did not start driving until 20. I would literally have panic attacks anytime I had to get behind the wheel. Now I'm comfortable driving within my comfort zone. But anytime I have to drive somewhere outside of my usual routes, I get bad anxiety. You can forget about me ever driving out of town lol.

I didn't get or take my driver's test until I was 20 due to anxiety. My dad harped on me for the four years in between saying that I needed a driver's license, even though I was perfectly fine and content to walk everywhere in town I needed to go or hitch rides from people I knew or their family members.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's never made me sick, but I've had some pretty debilitating episodes of general anxiety...just can't turn the brain off. Fortunately, it's been about three years since I've had an episode severe enough for me to take my tranquilizers. I think regular exercise has done wonders for me and my episodes are much more mild and much fewer and further between.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I believe to my core that my anxiety condition was a contributing factor to my cancer 16 years ago.... get help now while you are young.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    OMG yes, it affected me at school so much so that I waited 20 years after graduating to go to college because that is when it was finally all online. I don't have to deal with classmates and love it, I still have nightmares though of being back in High School and it takes days or a week to get over it. But I eat when I get anxious, which has led to my lifetime of fat-fights.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    MizMareedy wrote: »
    I have debilitating anxiety. I take a medication for it to help. For acute attacks I have a different medication that helps me too. Nowadays I have between 1-3 acute attacks a year - I used to have them weekly and sometimes I'd end up in the ER. My symptoms were severe muscle constriction (my feet, legs and hands would stiffen to the point of pain - hyperventilating, sweating, uncontrollable crying, an intense fear and feeling of impending doom, and I've even peed myself during my worst attack which was about 6 years ago. Have attacks are the WORST memories of my adult life. When I have the panic attacks nothing comforts me. I can't get in control of myself. If I begin to have one, I'll take a medicine and it prevents it from getting out of control.

In my personal experience - I'd rather spend 5 bucks a month for the medication that works and not spend 10+ hours (and a hundred-hundred fifty a session) a month in talk therapy. That's ONLY my opinion. I didn't have the greatest up bringing - and it's the root of my issues - and before you judge me for taking the pill route - know that I've spent years in therapy already. I am not making time now for any more - I've got many other things on my plate. It's a decision I've made that has worked very well for me. I don't have side effects from the medication. I'm always curious to hear about both sides of this discussion.

I've been judged a LOT for choosing medication over talk/cognitive therapy.

Thank you for bringing this up. I get judged a lot (and have quite often over the years) for being on medication to manage my anxiety and depression as though somehow, it was the first thing I jumped to. No, I tried (unsuccessfully foryears to talk to different therapists, psychologists and counselors with no improvement, success or headway into any of the "issues" that were causing my anxiety/depression. I just get really sick and tired of people who don't deal with this crap on a daily basis judging those of us who do and assuming we're all pill-happy and that we want to be on medication.

No, if I could manage to be functional without it, I would. I've tried for ten years and have been barely passable as "functioning", so yeah, I'll take the medication and actually be productive and enjoy my life for once because I can now cope better than I could before.. even if I have to have a little help.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this new thing lately where any time I'm checking out at a store or wherever my eyes go all blurry and I go temporarily blind. So that's a little inconvenient. I feel generally sick all the time because of my anxiety but I haven't physically gotten sick in awhile. Usually the only time that happens is if I'm around a lot of loud noises or yelling or something like that. I've been thinking about trying out some kind of medication but I'm too scared to go to the doctor. It's a never-ending cycle.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have sleep anxiety. So, I don't fall asleep, and when I do I scream and freak out all night and have actual panic attacks in my sleep where I feel like I'm going to die. I then proceed to have a panic attack upon waking up in the morning that lasts anywhere from 5-20 minutes.

After suffering for over 20 years, I finally had a doctor give me a low dose of lyrica before bed, and I'm not suffering anymore.

I also do mindfulness meditation. It helps - A lot! You do it often enough, you can return to mindfulness when you are in a state of anxiety. This is what I do for when I'm awake during the day, but obviously I can't meditate in my sleep, hence the medication.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have social anxiety, generalised anxiety, and panic attacks. I am in therapy, and I take anti-anxiety medications. Without them, I would not be able to live life; I'd just be stuck in my closet or under my desk or something. I have gone from debilitating social anxiety to moderate to severe social anxiety, and from multiple daily panic attacks to maybe a panic attack once or twice a week. It is still difficult, but I am able to have a life.

Anxiety can definitely make you sick. Other than just what panic does (chest pains, throwing up, cramps, etc.) long term anxiety increases your cortisol levels which is detrimental to your health. So, please seek help for your anxiety if you are able to.

You will have to try various methods in order to determine what is best for you. When it comes to medication, you may have to try several different medications as some may be too long lasting, some might not work quickly enough, some may make you too sleepy, some may not help, etc. You'll also have to go through figuring out dosages. It can be a difficult process, and may take some time. When it comes to therapy, you may have to try different therapists, different methods, etc. If your medication or therapist isn't helping, try something or someone else.

Controlled breathing has been shown to help with anxiety. If you breathe deeply and slowly, you engage your parasympathetic nervous system which slows your fight-or-flight response. Now, this can be hard to do in the middle of severe anxiety so it is best to practice this when you're feeling relaxed at first, then keep practicing it in different situations, places, etc. When I am able to do this, it takes me out of my panic enough to try to find other methods to calm down.

Mindfulness is another thing that can help with anxiety. I practice this as well. This is another thing that requires practice to be useful in all/most situations. I also try to distract myself with things like games on my phones. Exercise can also help with anxiety. Music might help you - it doesn't help me. Standing in the superman pose can help.

In order to even try some of these, you may need medication. Plenty of people need medication to calm enough to learn these methods, and then wean themselves off medication when they can cope with their anxiety better. This may take months or it may take years. I've been on these medications for years, and I don't plan on going off them any time soon.

Ultimately, how you choose to cope with your anxiety is up to you, but I urge you to talk to professionals, and to give things like deep breathing (look up four square breathing or just breathing and anxiety), mindfulness, and other methods a try.

Three things to note:
    1) You're not going to "cure" your anxiety. What you're doing is trying to find ways to cope with situations that make you anxious or give you panic attacks. Right now, your coping methods are dysfunctional or non-existent. The goal is to build up an arsenal of coping methods that reduce and help you deal with your anxiety/panic in a functional manner.
    2) Anxiety is your brain lying to you.
    3) Some people will judge you for using medication; *kitten* them. Your experience is yours, and you need to find what works for you.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Anyone who judges you for taking medication to better function can go *kitten* themselves.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I get it from time to time. I exhibit all the symptoms you described and I also feel the muscles in my upper back and neck get tense.

Taking a walk helps, also exercising or listening to my favorite music
    . Something to redirect my thoughts.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has responded and shared their personal experiences with anxiety. It's nice to have a community of people to relate to.
  • SojournerThirteen
    SojournerThirteen Posts: 28,204 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Fitkam90

I have been living with anxiety as far back as I can remember (age of 2 believe it or not) and and think that certain types and level of anxieties can have positive influence in our lives... provide motivation to achieve those things we wouldn’t ordinarily strive for. However, some anxiety (esp if sustained over lengthy periods of time) can be detrimental physically as well as mentally, with some cases leading to stress so bad that it results in actual damage to our brains.

My 2 worst negative anxiety peaks was when I was at the age of 24. Anxiety in my workplace was so bad for me that it put me in a constantly high-stressed state which manifested itself as bleeding ulcers in my stomach which were so bad, I couldn’t keep water down.
    SOLUTION:
    1. Got completely away from the source (my job) stress
    2. Added high-fiber cereal to my diet throughout the day to absorb increased amounts of stomach acid
    3. Added more physical fitness activities to my week

My worst negative anxiety peak was at the age of 51. Sustained levels of anxiety in my life day and night led to sustained (about 7 years) stress levels so severe that I started to experience memory loss (long/short-term).
    SOLUTION:
    1. Sought professional help from psychologist and my primary doctor
    2. Determined cause (lack of serotonin in my brain)
    3. Find the right serotonin booster and the right dosage
    4. Remove those things which cause my anxiety or remove myself from their proximity
    5. If 3 is not possible, then develop techniques to better manage my anxiety
    6. Add exercise to my daily activities

THOUGHTS:
    1. Everyone is different in dealing with anxiety
    2. Nobody should ever feel the slightest bit embarrassed to seek profession help from people you trust
    3. Wish you all the best for a perfect solution for Lovely You Gurl! <3
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used to have anxiety so bad that it affected me physically. For a year I had such awful nausea and stomach distention that I couldn't eat or sleep. Had a colon/endoscopy and they found nothing. I tried CT but I don't think I was gelling with the counselor, so I stopped.

I was prescribed Wellbutrin as an appetite suppressant but it's done wonders for my entire outlook on life. I have had a marked improvement in my mood and anxious spells. I have depression as well and even that is way way better than before.