I can't stop eating bad food.

Options

Replies

• idare_fitness
    idare_fitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think I'm addicted...:( Does anyone else feel the same way ?
    Meeeeeee!! I do. I do!
    I'm the same way. Love to eat and pizza gets me every time.

Oh goodness, Pizza is forever my weakness.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jpoirier17 wrote: »
    Sugar and fat is like a drug, if you stop eating them for a month you will not crave them anymore. When i have a sugar craving i eat a couple of square of 85-90% cacao chocolate bar and i am good for a week.

This advice is concerning. Did you mean to cut back on fat or to cut it out completely? As @lemurcat12 said upthread, cutting dietary fat intake to zero is not a healthy way to eat. Your body needs some fat in your diet for healthy hormones, brain function, skin & nails, etc. Stop eating it for a month? Please don't do that.

I think it was @janejellyroll, but she's one of the people I'm most flattered by being confused with, since her comments are always so sensible!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sugar and fat is like a drug, if you stop eating them for a month you will not crave them anymore. When i have a sugar craving i eat a couple of square of 85-90% cacao chocolate bar and i am good for a week.

This advice is concerning. Did you mean to cut back on fat or to cut it out completely? As @lemurcat12 said upthread, cutting dietary fat intake to zero is not a healthy way to eat. Your body needs some fat in your diet for healthy hormones, brain function, skin & nails, etc. Stop eating it for a month? Please don't do that.

I think it was @janejellyroll, but she's one of the people I'm most flattered by being confused with, since her comments are always so sensible!

Thanks for the correction! That's what I get for not double-checking today :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    When I say bad food
    ..Let me elaborate...*fast food and high sugar foods* ...I thought that was pretty obvious. If you eat one huge thing then you will be starving the rest of the day trying to make the calorie deficit. So I'm curious if anyone else struggles with food addiction (eating too much to compensate for other things ) as you guys clearly don't understand.
    Understand just fine. I eat some sort of "bad food" everyday. And not starving the rest of the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kerrylkatriviera
    kerrylkatriviera Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Starting is the hardest. I am convinced it is an addiction. I avoid fast food places now, and when I do go, I get a side salad and water or unsweetened iced tea. You do get used to a new diet, but you have to get passt the sacrifice period. Once you're through it, you'll lose the taste for all of that food.

You could try eating half a burger and either tossing the other half or wrapping it up for later.

I have found that what helped me (I have lost about fifty pounds) is cutting way down on salt. I eat low salt meals at home, so when I go to a fast food or take-out place, the food seems too salty now so that I can't eat very much of it.

Last time I went to Burger King, I felt really hungry, so I had two plain burgers. Well, after all of that dieting two burgers was too much, and I couldn't eat the fries because they were too salty. My appetite had changed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How long before we dub this a necro thread? She's not logged in since she elaborated her private definition of 'bad food'.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm not a responsible adult around the following things - ice cream, doughnuts, chips, birthday cake, pie, and cheesecake. So I don't keep them in the house. You might be able to eat them in moderation and keep them in the house, but I know I can't even have them in my area, or else I obsess and obsess and eat them all.

Same thing as I'm not a responsible drunk. I'm not an alcoholic, but if I have one drink, I drink the whole darn bottle and then I start fights and dance with strangers and run away...then I start yelling for jesus when the room starts spinning. I'm not even a Christian, so I don't know why I'm yelling for jesus, but anyways.

So I don't drink. Just like doughnuts, I can't say no once I've had one.

Saying that others can handle their booze or junk food doesn't help me handle mine better. I'm old enough to realize this isn't going to improve. It's part of who I am.

The OP clearly can't handle herself around sugary goodness. I also classify that as bad food. It doesn't help me stay healthy and it's clearly bad for me because i can't regulate how much of it I eat. If i could regulate it, it wouldn't be a "bad food"

If you are an adult, who can't handle junk food or any other vice like a responsible person, then it's best to just leave it alone and don't do it at all.
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The only thing to keep me away from cookies and chips is not to stock them at home. My biggest weakness is those mint girl guide cookies. 120 cal for 2 cookie. There're prob. 2 dozens in a box. I'd finish it in one go. There are some other chips that I do not have the willpower to stop. The solution for me is to stop walking on thin ice and kept them away from my house.
    Other things like pizza, burgers, fries etc, I would order a meal/combo and share with my son/wife.
    I tried to do my grocery shopping after I have eaten. Foods I buy when I am hungry can be quite different.
  • cynthiabickham
    cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Trust me I know it's hard to stop. Especially when you live with people who are still eating unhealthy (and may or may not be criticizing you)
  • sevas717
    sevas717 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Last spring, I couldn't pass a Wendy's (fast food joint) without going through the drive thru. I had Egg McMuffins pretty much every morning. The hunger cues for me were just too much, my body telling me it needed the carbs, salt and fat. A game changer for me (and I really do mean it, not hyperbole) was that I went on a keto diet, and my hunger disappeared. Literally. It was enough for me, so that my willpower had a fighting chance. Yes, I still sometimes crave a burger or fries, but I can easily ignore the craving. Keto for me led to intermittant fasting (it was easy to go 2 days without eating when the hunger signs are gone), which led to loosing 40+ lbs since July!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I pretty much don’t bring food that I can’t eat all I want of, into my home. If I’m craving something bad enough to leave my home and go out to eat, then fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

@lemurcat12 same!
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    sevas717 wrote: »
    PS Chronic insulin levels are connected to leptin, cortisol (stress), hunger cues and inflammation leading to cardiovascular disease. These are related but independent from how much you weight or what you look like. They are more directly related to healthy eating habits of reasonable carbs (mostly fiber), fat (which satiates you), and protein.

LoL. Gotta love pseudoscience gobbledegook. Now if you will excuse me I have a homeopathy appointment, which is the real secret of weight loss.
  • optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @Wannabebeautifulagain I struggle too. Fast food is the death of me