I can't stop eating bad food.

Options

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying. It's an emotional eating thing? Yes? I've done it when I was younger. The thing is the emotional boost you get from it doesn't last long and only leaves behind a feeling of failure.
    I don't know how YOU can stop, I only know how I stopped. And that was to find something else that changed my emotional state in a more constructive way. That was walking and dancing. And I had to find the time to do these things. It's no use saying you can't fit activity into your busy lifestyle when you know you will spend an hour on your *kitten* later watching TV (which was one of my excuses).
    Good luck getting a grip on this.
  • eminee2me
    eminee2me Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I say bad food
    ..Let me elaborate...*fast food and high sugar foods* ...I thought that was pretty obvious. If you eat one huge thing then you will be starving the rest of the day trying to make the calorie deficit. So I'm curious if anyone else struggles with food addiction (eating too much to compensate for other things ) as you guys clearly don't understand.

I understand completely, and am currently in a horrible binge period. The emotional overeat..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I understand completely I too struggle with food cravings and even the thought of 1 slice of pizza @ 900 calories and eating brekky would be nudging close to full calories for day! MyFitnessPal has been a real eye opener on how many calories are "hidden" in fast food even chips !!!! Corn chips !! Been craving corn chips soooo bad then feel guilty when I had them

An ounce of tortilla chips is about 140 calories. That's nothing to feel guilty about, just have 140 calories less of something else that day and you're still at your goal.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I understand completely I too struggle with food cravings and even the thought of 1 slice of pizza @ 900 calories and eating brekky would be nudging close to full calories for day! MyFitnessPal has been a real eye opener on how many calories are "hidden" in fast food even chips !!!! Corn chips !! Been craving corn chips soooo bad then feel guilty when I had them

An ounce of tortilla chips is about 140 calories. That's nothing to feel guilty about, just have 140 calories less of something else that day and you're still at your goal.

Unfortunately for me, 1 once of tortilla chips is barely enough to get me started :disappointed: Doesn't mean I won't eat them though!
  • WildBill_CQ
    WildBill_CQ Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Unfortunately for me, 1 once of tortilla chips is barely enough to get me started :disappointed: Doesn't mean I won't eat them though!

feelin' ya girlfriend... those free chips at the tex mex restaurant. EVIL!
  • pinuplove
    Options

I mean, yeah. If portion control is harder with certain foods then it may be easier not to eat them.

But for some people, at least with some foods, having a reasonable portion will satisfy a craving.

I absolutely agree! I'm generally all about everything in moderation. Tortilla chips just get me. Especially with guac. Double whammy :smiley:

I fail in self-control spectacularly every time we go out for Tex Mex...
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My journey has been LONG and I've learned so much. 6+ years of this and you learn a thing or two.

I've finally gotten to the point that I hate fast food. I think it's gross. I avoid it at all costs. At the beginning, I wanted McDonalds McNuggets and Frys EVERY DAY. I loved Starbucks Frappes. I basically lived at Raising Canes and Steak and Shake. So, you can learn to not want it.

Now, I'm not saying I eat perfect all the time. I still love restaurant food, but fast food places like Burger King, McDonalds, Five Guys, Taco Bell, Raising Canes, Steak and Shake etc, I think are horrible. The more you cook for yourself and learn that knowing what is in your food and how it's made makes things so much easier.

Now, for your situation now. Honestly, I'd learn to plan ahead. Change habits slowly. Pre log things that you feel good about eating (things you like, not just things that people tell you to eat because they are healthy). Grab a rotissere chicken from the grocery store and make your own "Chipolte" bowls. Rice comes in these great, precooked packs now (handy stuff). Add drained, rinsed canned beans, shredded cheese, a little sour cream and some salsa and you are good to go. Yummy stuff.

Pintrest is a really great source for recipes. Say you love Chinese take out. Search "Healthy Chinese Takeout" and they will give you various, easy to prepare recipes just like your favorite. Takes some more time, more planning, but will be worth it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I mean, yeah. If portion control is harder with certain foods then it may be easier not to eat them.

But for some people, at least with some foods, having a reasonable portion will satisfy a craving.

I absolutely agree! I'm generally all about everything in moderation. Tortilla chips just get me. Especially with guac. Double whammy :smiley:

I fail in self-control spectacularly every time we go out for Tex Mex...

This is me and chocolate cake. I'd rather just have a big piece once or twice a year than a couple of bites more frequently.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    OP, since I've jumped into the middle without replying, I figured I'd write a proper reply. Start by making small changes that are sustainable. You've already gotten some good advice there. You may always have trigger foods (like tortilla chips, or ice cream, or soda - whatever). Learn what you can moderate and what you might be better off trying to avoid or save for really special occasions for planned overages. Don't try to incorporate anything you can't see yourself sticking with forever, and don't try to overhaul your entire diet overnight.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a lot out of the work of Kathryn Hansen (brainoverbinge.com), Amy Johnson (dramyjohnson.com) and others who write about changing habits. Basically, the more you "dismiss" urges the more they fade. The idea is that every time you obey an urge, you strengthen the neural circuitry that supports the habit.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think I'm addicted...:( Does anyone else feel the same way ?

If it's a case of having trouble moderating certain foods or stuff you tend to eat out of habit/boredom, or if it is just too calorie dense to fit into your day at a non-thimble-sized portion, then it can be helpful to not buy that stuff and have it around in the first place.. then you only need self-control at the supermarket (eating beforehand and going to a no-frills place that won't have piles of gourmet tasty stuff in your face will help with that part).

If a fast-food thing, then having stuff pre-prepared and ready to eat will help.--Stuff you like enough that you'll happily eat it when hungry instead of driving off for fast food, but not irresistibly so. (For example, for me, a pot of chili works well for this...buying some cornbread to go along with it-not so much).

I'm too lazy to head out to grab something for a craving, so if it's not in the house I'm good. But yes, I have a very hard time resisting certain things if I have them at home (generally all the starchy things - bread, rolls, croissants, corn/wheat gruel/porridge, crackers, potatoes, cookies,..and I always want more after eating them).
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    today on the way to way to work I was going to stop at Wendy's and get a Burger/Fries/Coke..... Then I remembered I had Oatmeal at my desk....by passed Wendy's and had the oatmeal, small victory! Yea me.... you can do it just remember what your goal is, where you want to go.

This is great! I think the suggestion for the crock pot to have a meal ready for you at home would be a great way for you to go to help avoid the drive thru. Works for me 100% Throw stuff in in the morning and its ready when I get home. No fuss, and I have a great meal!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What kind of pizza is 900 cals/slice?

A chicken bacon ranch slice from a pizzaria in the Bronx can be 800-900 calories. But I still make room for it once a month or so o:)
    It's still not a bad food. It's soooooo good
  • nickykeleher
    nickykeleher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ugh sometimes I feel this way! When my anxiety or a really bad depression episode hits, I'll just eat and eat lol it's like trying to compensate for how bad I feel.