Anyone lost weight by Running Everyday?

2»

Replies

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Yes! I lost weight while training for a race. I've also not lost weight while training for a race. The difference was counting calories.
  • baoyaoren
    baoyaoren Posts: 11 Member
    Running is great. Don't do it everyday when you're not used to it. Your muscle might only take a few weeks to get used to it, but your tendons take closer to 6 months, and your bones and cartilage take the better part of a year to get used to running.

If you just want to burn calories, you should probably alternate between strength exercise, high intensity cardio and low intensity cardio, and jogging may be the optimal option for low intensity cardio days.
    If you want to build endurance, especially if you want to improve your running speed or distance, you should alternate between running vand a second, different cardio type like swimming, cycling or crosstrainer and add strength training, especially to stabilize your knees and work on a good posture.

Stretching depends on your overall flexibility, if you have very tight tendons stretching might make sense even before the exercise, if you're average, it might be nice after the exercise to aif cool-down, if you're overly flexible like me, it's actually better not to stretch too much because in that case, it'll disrupt the way the muscles and tendons adapt to the exercise routine.

Oh, and at least in my case - if I run, I lose fat quickly. It's as if my body was saying 'ok if we have to do this running thing, let's better not carry around more weight than necessary'. But I do carry around more than necessary.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    It is a great way just remember weight loss is achieved through a caloric deficit.

Exactly. You can run 20 miles a day but if you're not eating right, it doesn't matter. Any type of cardio or strength training will help you lose weight as long as your calorie intake is where it's suppose to be.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    To reiterate what everyone else has said:
    Running is a double-edged sword. It is the best way to burn extra calories, so it can help you achieve a calorie deficit, which, of course, is what you need to lose weight.
    On the other hand, run a long distance and you will make yourself very hungry. And so, for that reason, many runners have a hard time taking off weight, even when they are training for something as long as a marathon.
  • MrsBlopple
    MrsBlopple Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2017
    I started running back in January and became addicted, if it wasnt for my bad knees I would run daily. I have lost a lot of weight with running and a calorie deficit. I started with a C25K app, dont feel discouraged because in the beginning it is tough to build up those muscles to run but with consistency and determination you will get there so take it slow so you dont hurt yourself. After a couple months of the C25K app I started running on my own terms. Ive lost 95lbs total, but about 50-60lbs of that was mostly running and a lifestyle nutritional change.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    As long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight. On the other hand, no matter how much you exercise, if you are consuming more, or the same number of calories that you are burning, you will not lose weight, and eating more calories than you burn, will result in gaining weight. Your overall health benefits from regular exercise.
  • halfmill1
    halfmill1 Posts: 35 Member
    I’m running, walking, and counting calories to lose weight. I started my journey at 216 pounds in February. I am now 155. I began my journey by just counting calories and walking up to an hr a day on the treadmill. My original walking pace was 3.3 miles per hr. A couple month ago I started running. My pace isn’t supper fast. Like a 10:15 to 10:45 minute mile. If I am on the treadmill I can run 2 miles in under 18. I tend to run 3-3.5 miles when outside. On no running days I walk on treamill at 4.3 miles per hr. I can burn almost as many calories walking as I do running and I can walk for a longer time. In 32 minutes I burn about 315 calories running. Walking I burn that many in about 40 minutes.