Anyone lost weight by Running Everyday?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Running is great for losing weight! I added running 1.5 years ago, and I think it has greatly improved my fitness level.

Starting from zero, I'd space running out with other activities, including walking, elliptical, cycling, swimming, etc. to minimize chance of injury, but, hey, maybe you are the person who doesn't need that. Listen to your body!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Running is a great way to increase your fitness!!!!

You are more likely to keep doing something that you love.

I suggest if you get serious with this running gig that you get fitted with some great shoes from a running store, switch to every other day, track your progress and stretch out after every run. This will ensure many years of running happiness. The endorphins are real.

For losing weight you will have to track your calories.
  • kayla25mfp
    kayla25mfp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Running really helped me because it turns out I like to eat more food than my calorie limit allows without exercise, running burns things off easier (to me) than most other forms of exercise. I can't do much now because of a health issue that gets worse with any kind of stress including the good kind you put on yourself with moderate or intense exercise.

However, I used to hurt myself every time I tried to start running. My bro explained to me that this is because my lungs/heart improved faster than my bones and tendons so I FELT like I could do more.... but really I should have been taking things slower.

So I would say start just a few times a week at low speeds and build gradually. Make sure you have good (and relatively new) shoes designed for running. Listen to your body and if those shins start to get sore TAKE A BREAK. Better to take it slow than get sidelined for a long time.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Pros of running: You get some exercise calories and can eat more during weight loss.

Cons of running: Runger is real. If you are running to train for a race or event, I notice I shift more to training mode rather than weight loss mode. With only 8lbs left to goal weight, this is fine for me, because the focus on being active for me is really what it's all about. It sure does make weight loss hard, though, because I am REALLY hungry.

Rest days are important to avoid injury, so use some alternate forms of exercise (even brisk walks or weight training) to keep from ending up sidelined.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom: if "runger" is real, then "Soylent Green" is people! :p

Anyway, I have not found running to interfere with calorie restriction, quite the opposite. But, I have heard that it is harder if you are training multiple hours at a time, which I am not.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom: if "runger" is real, then "Soylent Green" is people! :p

Anyway, I have not found running to interfere with calorie restriction, quite the opposite. But, I have heard that it is harder if you are training multiple hours at a time, which I am not.

In truth, it depends on your goals. If you're seriously training for race performance, running at a deficit isn't in the cards. It's a matter of priorities.
  • sunitaramsaran
    sunitaramsaran Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you All!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, I don't agree. I love running because it lets me release stress and meditate. I put my head phones on and I am just me for 45 minutes! I like running outdoors and treadmill. I run at a comfortable pace and it has put me in the best shape of my life! I never liked running and I rediscovered it when I was 41 after a painful divorce. I began slowly but built my endurance and strength. When I turned 43, I ran my first 5k and then a half marathon. I felt so accomplished. You can protect your body from injury as long as you wear good supportive running shoes and stretch before and after.Listen to your body. Run no more than three miles if you run every day and save your long run for Saturday. You should rest on Sunday. Strengthen your core by weight training with lots of glute strengthening exercises to stabilize hips and prevent injury. Runner's Magazine has a lot of great articles. It becomes a passion....runner's high is the best.... It is a runner's thing. Welcome to the club!

there is no reason a long run has to be on a specific day, and rest days should be as frequent as you need them.

also, stretching before is not recommended by a lot of people...

Exactly. I mean, I do my long run on Saturday and do barre on Sunday, but that's largely because I don't care for the style of the Saturday barre instructor, and I'd rather see pro vs. college football.
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I did a year ago. I was going everyday but it only took one day for me to think I was ready for more. I had been running/walking for weeks. One day I told myself to just keep running. Don't walk. After, I hurt from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. I told myself to rest a day or two to recover. 30 pounds gained later I have not been back. One day I drove the route I was running/walking and knew why I was losing good. It was hella far.:-)
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would not start off running every day, or even every other day when you first start out. I was not even capable of running much when I first started. It was lots of walking. It was not until I got to about the 6 months in range and had dropped a good chunk of weight that I actually started running. It was weird too. I was walking along the bike path that I always walked on and then just decided "well, let's try running a bit".

It was not much at first. Maybe a couple of hundred meters. But it did plant the seed and soon I was challenging myself to go more. From there, I started a run/walk type of routine. I had my music blasting the whole time so I would use songs as my run vs. walk cue. Run for one song and then walk for the next. Then came 2 songs back to back, then 3. I became hooked. Slowly but surely my endurance and strength started to come around, my cardiovascular system improved, and I could finally finish the entire 7.5 mile bike trail at Busse Woods out in the burbs without stopping. That is a day I will never forget as it was a long time in the making. I accomplished this before I ever even ran in my first 5K which many people find odd. Back then I was way too timid to participate in a race. More recently, I completed my first half marathon on Sept. 24th of this year.

Did I lose weight? Umm, yeah, you could say that. Over 100 pounds total and I am at goal now. Running did not directly cause this, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier to stay in a deficit because it burns such a significant amount compared to most activities. It also was easy for me to stick with because it's an activity I grew to enjoy. It's no longer just exercise to me. It's my catharsis and gives my body and mind balance.

My advice is to take things slow and give your body time to develop. I got hurt a bunch when I first got into running by being stupid and not giving my body adequate time to rest. And this was just one of my many mistakes. With a proper diet, running will turn you into a beast and a force of nature as far as cardio, but like all worthwhile goals in life it takes time and patience.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes! I lost weight while training for a race. I've also not lost weight while training for a race. The difference was counting calories.
  • baoyaoren
    baoyaoren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Running is great. Don't do it everyday when you're not used to it. Your muscle might only take a few weeks to get used to it, but your tendons take closer to 6 months, and your bones and cartilage take the better part of a year to get used to running.

If you just want to burn calories, you should probably alternate between strength exercise, high intensity cardio and low intensity cardio, and jogging may be the optimal option for low intensity cardio days.
    If you want to build endurance, especially if you want to improve your running speed or distance, you should alternate between running vand a second, different cardio type like swimming, cycling or crosstrainer and add strength training, especially to stabilize your knees and work on a good posture.

Stretching depends on your overall flexibility, if you have very tight tendons stretching might make sense even before the exercise, if you're average, it might be nice after the exercise to aif cool-down, if you're overly flexible like me, it's actually better not to stretch too much because in that case, it'll disrupt the way the muscles and tendons adapt to the exercise routine.

Oh, and at least in my case - if I run, I lose fat quickly. It's as if my body was saying 'ok if we have to do this running thing, let's better not carry around more weight than necessary'. But I do carry around more than necessary.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It is a great way just remember weight loss is achieved through a caloric deficit.

Exactly. You can run 20 miles a day but if you're not eating right, it doesn't matter. Any type of cardio or strength training will help you lose weight as long as your calorie intake is where it's suppose to be.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    To reiterate what everyone else has said:
    Running is a double-edged sword. It is the best way to burn extra calories, so it can help you achieve a calorie deficit, which, of course, is what you need to lose weight.
    On the other hand, run a long distance and you will make yourself very hungry. And so, for that reason, many runners have a hard time taking off weight, even when they are training for something as long as a marathon.
  • MrsBlopple
    MrsBlopple Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I started running back in January and became addicted, if it wasnt for my bad knees I would run daily. I have lost a lot of weight with running and a calorie deficit. I started with a C25K app, dont feel discouraged because in the beginning it is tough to build up those muscles to run but with consistency and determination you will get there so take it slow so you dont hurt yourself. After a couple months of the C25K app I started running on my own terms. Ive lost 95lbs total, but about 50-60lbs of that was mostly running and a lifestyle nutritional change.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    As long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight. On the other hand, no matter how much you exercise, if you are consuming more, or the same number of calories that you are burning, you will not lose weight, and eating more calories than you burn, will result in gaining weight. Your overall health benefits from regular exercise.
  • halfmill1
    halfmill1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I’m running, walking, and counting calories to lose weight. I started my journey at 216 pounds in February. I am now 155. I began my journey by just counting calories and walking up to an hr a day on the treadmill. My original walking pace was 3.3 miles per hr. A couple month ago I started running. My pace isn’t supper fast. Like a 10:15 to 10:45 minute mile. If I am on the treadmill I can run 2 miles in under 18. I tend to run 3-3.5 miles when outside. On no running days I walk on treamill at 4.3 miles per hr. I can burn almost as many calories walking as I do running and I can walk for a longer time. In 32 minutes I burn about 315 calories running. Walking I burn that many in about 40 minutes.