Running accessories

Options
13»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd support the suggestions of a dedicated GPS tracker. I started with a Forerunner 310XT and now use a 735XT. Better tracking accuracy and battery life than a phone.

In terms of carrying anything, I have three setups.
    • Flipbelt, as upthread. Fits my mobile phone, card/ cash, wipes and my reading glasses. Largely for short distances up to ten miles.
    • Camelbak handheld with 675ml of fluids and a pocket on it. I'll use that for lapped races or medium longer runs.
    • Inov-8 Race vest if I'm on a point to point race or training away from support. It'll carry two 500ml fluids, gels, first aid kit, space blanket, waterproofs/ spare base layer/ camera etc.

Some races have a mandatory kit list, so it's also useful to train with the kit. The race vest also has loops to hold running poles if I'm going to be using those, although up to marathon distance I'll just hand carry them.

Other useful purchases would be:
    • Glasses
    • Buffs
    • Bone conduction headphones

It's easy to get carried away. As you get more adapted to running you'll have much less need of fluids or food.
  • Linz91741
    Linz91741 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Linz91741 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Depending on the length of your runs, you might want to try running without carrying water. It makes things much easier from a logistics perspective (water isn't exactly light or compact) and chances are that you might actually be hurting your running performance by drinking too much water along the way. Many runners (myself included) don't bother with water mid-run unless we'll be going for an hour or more.

It's not critical but is something to consider. If you ever start running for race times/performance, then you'll definitely want to revisit your hydration needs.

Key running accessories for me are a true run tracking watch (the ability to review stats around cadence, pace, HR, etc. help tremendously), an armband for my phone (I actually don't mind carrying it in my hand most of the time but the band is a lifesaver for longer runs), wireless headphones, and a good stockpile of shorter and longer podcasts. I generally run with a bare minimum.

Another option for water...if you do and out and back or repeat laps of a track or route, just leave your water bottle somewhere along the way. Nobody will mess with it and you can grab a drink as you pass by.

i hate carrying anything, i only bought the belt because i felt like water would probably help on my long runs!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm experiencing a hydration issue because i get seriously parched by a half mile! Thanks for the feedback. I often run laps around my neighborhood, I could totally leave a water bottle somewhere :-)

How much do you drink in a normal day. It's doubtful that running half a mile is actually dehydrating you.

I shoot for 8- 8oz servings and am usually successful. Yesterday I drank about 4oz before running a mile and was fine, so I am going to start drinking before a run.
  • Linz91741
    Linz91741 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I run with a flipbelt. I love it. I also have a water bottle that fits in it. I don't always carry water, but I do live in Texas and if it is over 90F I carry water. Sometimes I just pour it on the back of my neck. But in the winter I don't generally carry water, but the flipbelt works well for my phone and keys and some tissue.

The weather is a good point...I started running in July so probably felt more of a need for eater. Now that it's cooling down, that might improve!
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have Bluetooth headphones to listen to music, and they came with an armband for my phone. I have a small handheld water bottle with a pocket that I take with me on super hot days. My keys or any fuel/snack fits in the pocket. I usually leave my keys in my car in a compartment. I have OnStar and can lock/unlock my car from my phone. I just got a new running belt for my birthday. Haven't tried that out yet.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have a watch, a mp3 player, and a key. That has worked great for the last 20+ years

As for actual accessories I have 3 different pairs of gloves - temperature dependant - 2 caps - warm vs cool - 3 stocking caps, and a couple pairs of sunglasses
  • AnnieLewandowski302
    Options
    I use a flipbelt to hold my cell phone and cards (ID, credit card, health insurance) for my short runs. On my long run, I use an Adventuridge water backpack and use that to hold my mid-run snack too. I use the Garmin
    Vivosmart HR+ to track my runs with GPS. It also records heart rate, steps, elevation, pace, etc. Perk- it's waterproof, so no matter how much I sweat, it keeps on truckin'. Good luck!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    owned several garmins over the years and my latest the 935 is the best yet.
    when i run with music i use a ipod nano and plantronics backbeat fit.