How often do you weight?

Options
How often do you weigh yourself? I have been doing it weekly, but I feel like I'm not making progress for the rest of the week. My weight has been fluctuating highly, but then staying the same. I "weight in" on Saturday. The one week my Saturday to Saturday weight stayed the same, but when I weighed myself on Wednesday I had lost about half a pound. (I guess that half a pound came back, probably water.) Would it be a good idea to weigh myself more frequently just to get a picture of how it fluctuates?

What do you do?

Replies

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Everyday here.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. The numbers go up and down it makes a squiggly little chart on the Reports.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Saturday morning. That's when I do my measurements as well. But I've been seeing a steady drop (smoothing out now, but I'm only about 6 kg from goal weight, so I know this bit will take longer) so once a week isn't a problem. Once I reach maintenance, I intend to do the same: once a week, just to know my clothes aren't fibbing :)
  • shannonwaters2395
    shannonwaters2395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Last few months I did weekly, but as I have learnt more, im going to try do it daily.

Not to get obsessive but curious to actually see natural fluctuations (water/hormonal) with a overall trend.

I would say, don't overweigh if it causes anxiety though :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Some do daily, some do weekly, some do schedules in between, others don't do it at all. It all comes down to personal preference.

Your weight can fluctate by a few pounds during the course of the day due to eating, drinking, and elimination. If you're trying to monitor your progress, it helps to weigh yourself at a consistent time of day. Many people do it first thing in the morning after using the toilet and before eating. This helps avoid your daily activity from hiding progress a bit.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Daily. In the moring, ever morning. Log the # in Libra and watch the trend. Currently it's "down"...a very slow down.
  • maltby1943
    maltby1943 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I set out to lose again, I weigh every day, sometimes twice a day. When I reach my goal, maybe once a week. For me, I need that.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. The numbers go up and down it makes a squiggly little chart on the Reports.

I genuinely love graphs

I may need to make a T-shirt that says that...
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Daily. I jump on the scale each morning but don’t record my weight daily but instead put it in MFP about twice per week (Wednesday & Sunday most of the time)
  • kjt363
    kjt363 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Every morning. My weight fluctuates daily and some may find that discouraging, but I find it exciting. Somedays I'm down a pound, somedays I'm up two pounds, but it helps me hone in on what is working and what isn't, as well as hydration habits and dehydration habits (water vs coffee, tea, etc...)
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily. I stuck with it even though it took me a few months to stop freaking out about daily water weight fluctuations and weeks that felt like "stalls".

A few months in, I had figured out some patterns of how my body tends to lose, which was my whole goal in weighing daily. Though tbh it still surprises me now and again!
  • neilgib28
    neilgib28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Daily, same time everyday (just after I wake up) and trend in spreadsheet / Libra. Accept that your weight will fluctuate on a daily basis, more important to look at the trend over multiple weeks and adjust as necessary. Patience and consistency are your friend..... :D
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking a break, but once I get things back on track again, I usually like to weigh daily, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Each morning, post wee and pre shower. :smile:
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    about 15 then I leave ... oh weigh every Monday
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    as often as possible when I am losing, once a week in maintenance.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Right now weekly but I'm going to go back to daily.
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Once a week, as I will become too obsessed with what the scale says otherwise.