Indie/Folk Rock Bands

Options
mandeiko
mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
If you don't like em... get out :)

I just want to hear from the people who appreciate the genre.

I'm curious, what are some of the bands you listen to? I like listening to new artists I haven't heard of :)

For me it's Band of Horses, Phish, City and Colour, Iron & Wine, Bon Iver, etc etc.

Share!!

Replies

• tefii
    tefii Posts: 31
    Options
    Howdy!

How about; owen, manchester orchestra, brand new, mgmt, say anything :)

I haven't listen to the ones you named am def going to check them out!

Happy jamming :D
  • tlasoya
    tlasoya Posts: 1
    Options
    You should check out Buffalo Jones. Can find them at http://www.buffalojones.com. Great stuff!
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Barfs all over this thread.
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    I've tried to like Phish so hard. I'm usually okay actually.

Until there's lyrics and singing.
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Love Deerhunter, No Age, Camera Obscura, Pavement, and tons of stuff which I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. I'm a musician as well, I suppose we play in the genre of "indie rock." :)
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bright eyes, the shins, sigur ros, fleet foxes, ray lamontagne, belle and sebastian, wilco, band of horses, tilly and the wall, radical face, eels, modest mouse, radiohead, elliot smith, matt costa, tegan and sara, pixies, smashing pumpkins, spoon, the flaming lips, muse......etc! love it
  • heyjude78
    heyjude78 Posts: 160
    Options
    My favorite for last summer was Avi Buffalo...Saint Sea Hat, The little Ones, Blitzen Trapper, Dr. Dog. :drinker:

Ps I love Iron and Wine
  • peejie
    peejie Posts: 43
    Options
    Jenny Lewis or Rilo Kiley are folksy(same girl, different bands). Or Hawksley Workman is a Canadian artist with awesome lyrics and music, as well as being incredibly sexy himself.
  • miajay92
    Options
    mumford and sons, kimya dawson, basically anything from the indie rock/folk genre. it's feel good music (:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I can't think of a good comeback to this right now so I will wait for a reason to insult you later... :grumble:

I'm a big classic rock fan but I also LOVE indie/alt rock. Grizzly Bear and Band of Skulls( youtube them at the Troubadour) being my two favorites! Also digging Two-Door Cinema Club, Blitzen Trapper, My Morning Jacket, Black Keys, Fossil Collective and a folk sisters-duo from Sweden called First Aid Kit.

There ae some bands in that genre that I just can't get into at all though...

I'm seeing Cage the Elephant and Muse tomorrow night. From what I've heard, Muse puts on an incredible lightshow and I have no doubt they rock.. :drinker:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Are there any more mainstream bands that fit under this genre? Just have never heard of any of the bands listed here and intrested if there are some that I would know.
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    My Morning Jacket is the only band in this thread so far I've smiled for though!
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    if they were mainstream they couldn't call themselves indie, then they wouldn't be deck, they'd be sellouts.

Oh THATS why I hate indie.
  • mandeiko
    Options
    I've tried to like Phish so hard. I'm usually okay actually.

Until there's lyrics and singing.

AJ get out! Lol
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    I love Trey's use of mixolydian modes and his off time phrasing a lot, just not the singing :)
  • mandeiko
    Options
    bright eyes, the shins, sigur ros, fleet foxes, ray lamontagne, belle and sebastian, wilco, band of horses, tilly and the wall, radical face, eels, modest mouse, radiohead, elliot smith, matt costa, tegan and sara, pixies, smashing pumpkins, spoon, the flaming lips, muse......etc! love it

Yesssssss Bright Eyes, Fleet Foxes, Ray L, Wilco, Mo Mo, Radiohead... Etc. All the ones I haven't heard I gotta look up!
  • mandeiko
    Options
    I love Trey's use of mixolydian modes and his off time phrasing a lot, just not the singing :)

AJ my love, you are TROLLING my thread! You don't wanna see me angry =/
  • heyjude78
    heyjude78 Posts: 160
    Options

I can't think of a good comeback to this right now so I will wait for a reason to insult you later... :grumble:

I'm a big classic rock fan but I also LOVE indie/alt rock. Grizzly Bear and Band of Skulls( youtube them at the Troubadour) being my two favorites! Also digging Two-Door Cinema Club, Blitzen Trapper, My Morning Jacket, Black Keys, Fossil Collective and a folk sisters-duo from Sweden called First Aid Kit.

There ae some bands in that genre that I just can't get into at all though...

I'm seeing Cage the Elephant and Muse tomorrow night. From what I've heard, Muse puts on an incredible lightshow and I have no doubt they rock.. :drinker:

Have fun at the show! I think Grizzly Bear is pretty amazing
  • mandeiko
    Options
    I can't wait to look up a lot of these!! :) My fellow feel-good, jammers! Ya done good.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    if they were mainstream they couldn't call themselves indie, then they wouldn't be deck, they'd be sellouts.

Oh THATS why I hate indie.
    That's the part that I didn't get. I know "indie" generally means non-mainstream but what makes up the "indie" sound? I always thought Indie bands were somewhere between local acts and signed bands, good but not good enough.