Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How would you convince someone you love to take their blood pressure meds?

Options
icemom011
icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
I'm hitting the wall, time and time again. For the last three years my spouse knows that she has high blood pressure. It's controls pretty well by the meds, no any known or notable side effects that she's experiencing. Problem is, she constantly stops taking it, just quits, quietly, not saying anything to me. I notice at some point, question that move, we talk, argue, i plea and bargain, and she takes it for a time until the next halt. And we go through another round of the same. Well, today i checked her blood pressure and it was high, so i asked if she was taking bp medicine, and after few moments of trying to dodge the question, she said no. So i have some family and close friends history with stroke, her mother had stroke, she can't do simple things for herself ever since, and I'm terrified that can happen to her. I mean, nothing else worked, not any holistic approach was able to bring it down at all, and it was given many tries. So now I'm just so upset and i feel betrayed, because why would you knowingly jeopardize your health? I mean, i understand when people end up in ICU and they never had a clue that their blood pressure is too high, but when you know and still find a reason /excuse to ignore it? What's your take on it? What should I do? Accept it, keep on fighting? Thank you!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1. Has she offered any reason?
    2. Would she welcome an accountability partner?
    3. If so, put the pills in a bubble pack in a public place.

Shock and fear are poor motivators.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes, reasons being that she's against medications, pharmaceutical companies and doctors in general, side effects of medications, holistic way of treating illnesses, things like that. So accountability partner isn't going to help. I don't know what else to do, how it's not an obvious answer to treat this condition with what works, a proven, long enough on the market and safe enough pill that helps?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. If she is set against conventional medications there's nothing you can do. As much as you love her and want her to have the best quality of life, you can't force her to take the meds. It has to be her decision.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Would dietary changes help her?
    Would she be willing to try?

Sorry I can offer nothing else.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Yes, reasons being that she's against medications, pharmaceutical companies and doctors in general, side effects of medications, holistic way of treating illnesses, things like that. So accountability partner isn't going to help. I don't know what else to do, how it's not an obvious answer to treat this condition with what works, a proven, long enough on the market and safe enough pill that helps?

is she doing other things to try and lower her blood pressure?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Back before I knew him my husband had high blood pressure diagnosed at work check ups, he never had any symptoms. It never suited him to have the additional investigations so did not go onto the would have been advised medication. After he was no longer desk bound he became more active and lost significant weight naturally, the bp situation did not change.

Then earlier this year he went to the doctor about something else. This time, still without symptoms his blood pressure was again picked up. May be its because he is older now, or he respected this particular doctor, he consented to having the background blood tests and started on pills a few months ago. He is not pleased to be on pills for the rest of his life but he accepts them, now. He has his own bp monitor and still without symptoms his bp is within the expected range. In the last year, prior to taking the pills, I'd thought he was looking more gaunt and this is no so now.

May be this particular doctor explained things to him better, knowing his own family history over the last 30 years, knowing how hard I have fort to achieve better health for myself, (I've learned not to trust doctors) but being 67 has been the right time for him. No two people are the same. He never set out to worry me, I had to recognise it is primarily his life, before it is ours. I hope at some stage your wife will realise the benefits for her and then yourselves and she takes these pills.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My husband also is on BP meds. He stopped taking them once and had an incident. I was livid. Honestly I went off on him like I never have in all our years of marriage. It seemed such a ridiculously stupid thing to do I couldn't help myself. This might not have been the best response and I did feel bad later, but he has never done it again.
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to be the one who would be bad about taking my BP medicine. I wouldn't not take it purposely, I'd just forget.

My wife would rage, cajole, plead, use logical explanations, whatever. None of it worked.

Until one day, it did. I just woke up and said "You know self, you've been right stupid about this medicine thing. Just (censored) take it. Its not that hard." And I haven't missed taking it since. There wasn't one magic argument from her that did it, but they ALL had a cumulative effect in making the change happen in my noggin. So keep fighting.

Don't be argumentative. Be supportive. Remind her daily "Did you take your BP medicine?", things like that.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing everything you can do. It has to be her decision. My mother in law will not take her BP med. I check it for her and my husband and I are constantly trying to get her to take it. She has a number of silly excuses and our efforts on her are wasted.
    I personally feel that the 30 second inconvenience of swallowing a pill is a pretty weak excuse compared with the risk of stroke, but apparently a lot of people don't feel that way. Keep trying to talk to her, but as hard as it is, you may have to just accept that she is an adult who knows the risks...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »

She is in a state of cognitive dissonance. Trying to fight her fears head-on will only dig her in deeper. It's like a Chinese finger trap. The harder you pull the more entrenched and withdrawn she becomes. The way out is to agree with her. Don't threaten to yank her away from her cherished (false) beliefs. Gently coax her towards a more relaxed way of thinking. It takes a while.

v67awlkg0bck.jpg

If it were me, I'd state the fact of her current BP numbers, and brainstorm some holistic cures she might try for a week. Then test again. You can be her accountability partner for taking charge of her health, even if it is wandering around trying all kinds of ineffective treatments for a few months. You and I both know the holistic cures are not nearly enough, but you can't deny her "reality" head-on. Let her figure it out on her own.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/10/19/fighting-cognitive-dissonance-the-lies-we-tell-ourselves/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You need to bring in professional help and find out why she isn't taking her meds. Not taking meds is a symptom of a deeper root cause. She needs to address that first.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If this pattern is to continue I would try to see if another method could work. If overweight lose some, exercise more and maybe change her diet. I did all of those and my pressure dropped. My bad cholesterol also dropped 50 points. Not a perfect plan but if it can help it could be a win, win. I would make it a habit for both of you to do a daily pressure check.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    She does not want to take the medication. She only takes it to shut you up when you freak out.
    I think you have an issue where you believe one thing (medications help, doctors help, untreated this could lead to a serious problem like a stroke) and she believes another (pills/doctors are bad, alternative methods are better, my problem isn't that bad). That is a huge difference in approaches to health/life.

Can you let her treat or not treat her health issues as she sees fit?
    Does it scare you enough to say to her, "Refusing proven treatment for your condition is too risky. I won't watch you do this to yourself." and be prepared to leave the relationship if she won't take the medical route?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I was kinda like that. refuse to get on blood pressure pills, was a sign of weakness for me.,, I am not on them, and do not have high blood pressure now. changed my lifestyle. but I do understand how she feels, totally.