Anyone doing/done intermittent fasting?

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    Ok, so just my 2c here. Look up Dr. Jason Fung. He's done lots of work with type 2 diabetic people and fasting. Look him up for good reading, and some video.

fung is a quack when it comes to diets/ways of eating,etc. he even stated that a person(whom was a study participant) with an A1C of 6.5 did NOT need insulin and that diet/fasting alone would help. he has told people to stop taking their insulin and to follow his diet. not very safe to do. it should be lowered by a dr once you need less of it. not stop it cold turkey. fung is a kidney dr nothing more. fasting alone is not a cure for diabetes and telling someone they dont need insulin?

It has cured many type II diabetics from what I've read. Fasting = low insulin = more insulin sensitivity = less type II diabetes. That's how I understand it. Low carb does the same thing.

you dont cure diabetes. you go into a remission type thing. weight loss alone can cause someone to reverse diabetes. low carb can work to control insulin sure. but for most people diabetes was brought on by becoming overweight/obese or an underlying health issue. it can also be caused by genetics.

There are many diabetic here who do low carb and many who dont. many of them will tell you losing weight alone helped with insulin levels. There are no guarantees that low carb or fasting will help reverse diabetes alone. some people may still need insulin and even thin people can have type 2 diabetes. . once you gain weight back you can end up with diabetes again. it doesnt go away you just control it. for some fasting can cause hypoglycemia and other issues.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Ok, so just my 2c here. Look up Dr. Jason Fung. He's done lots of work with type 2 diabetic people and fasting. Look him up for good reading, and some video.

fung is a quack when it comes to diets/ways of eating,etc. he even stated that a person(whom was a study participant) with an A1C of 6.5 did NOT need insulin and that diet/fasting alone would help. he has told people to stop taking their insulin and to follow his diet. not very safe to do. it should be lowered by a dr once you need less of it. not stop it cold turkey. fung is a kidney dr nothing more. fasting alone is not a cure for diabetes and telling someone they dont need insulin?

It has cured many type II diabetics from what I've read. Fasting = low insulin = more insulin sensitivity = less type II diabetes. That's how I understand it. Low carb does the same thing.

you dont cure diabetes. you go into a remission type thing. weight loss alone can cause someone to reverse diabetes. low carb can work to control insulin sure. but for most people diabetes was brought on by becoming overweight/obese or an underlying health issue. it can also be caused by genetics.

There are many diabetic here who do low carb and many who dont. many of them will tell you losing weight alone helped with insulin levels. There are no guarantees that low carb or fasting will help reverse diabetes alone. some people may still need insulin and even thin people can have type 2 diabetes. . once you gain weight back you can end up with diabetes again. it doesnt go away you just control it. for some fasting can cause hypoglycemia and other issues.

If the cause of the type II is insulin resistance and you fix the insulin resistance, wouldn't that be a cure? Either way the problem can be fixed for some by becoming more insulin sensitive.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited October 2017
    Options

If the cause of the type II is insulin resistance and you fix the insulin resistance, wouldn't that be a cure? Either way the problem can be fixed for some by becoming more insulin sensitive.

you can treat it but you cant cure it. curing it would mean that once you got it down to where you no longer needed meds and so on and went back to your old ways that caused it in the first place it would be cured. but it can come back. not to mention if its genetics causing it you cannot change your genetics so no you cant cure it. type 2 means you make too much insulin. type one means they dont make enough.not to mention that diabetes can cause all sorts of issues and damage if left untreated which a lot of that damage isnt reversible.

insulin resistance can also be caused by other health issues too. there are many here like I said that helped reversed their diabetes alone with weight loss and a change in diet who dont fast or have never fasted. so explain then how that happened for them if they werent doing the magic fasting?

this study doesnt say anything about fasting to help these health issues https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I never have because there is no real point to IF unless it helps a person stay in a favorable caloric deficit. I can accomplish this just fine without starving myself all day. IF is nothing but a timing schedule, and timing has no effect on weight loss or gain.
  • Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I never have because there is no real point to IF unless it helps a person stay in a favorable caloric deficit. I can accomplish this just fine without starving myself all day. IF is nothing but a timing schedule, and timing has no effect on weight loss or gain.

I guess it's the placebo effect or something, because it works for me better than anything else has before. I really enjoy it! Plus, I don't have to starve myself. I eat from 7a.m-3p.m every day so it doesn't feel like I'm skipping a meal. My last big meal is right at 3 so I stay satisfied the rest of the evening. I get hungry at bed time, then just sleep it off. It is true, weight loss is creating a calorie deficit. As long as you have a caloric deficit you lose weight no matter the timing. For some reason IF helps me stay accountable to have a cut off time. I used to snack all evening, but now I know I'm done eating at 3p.m.
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »

I guess it's the placebo effect or something, because it works for me better than anything else has before. I really enjoy it! Plus, I don't have to starve myself. I eat from 7a.m-3p.m every day so it doesn't feel like I'm skipping a meal. My last big meal is right at 3 so I stay satisfied the rest of the evening. I get hungry at bed time, then just sleep it off. It is true, weight loss is creating a calorie deficit. As long as you have a caloric deficit you lose weight no matter the timing. For some reason IF helps me stay accountable to have a cut off time. I used to snack all evening, but now I know I'm done eating at 3p.m.

It "works" for you in the same way any diet plan does. If it produces a calorie deficit, you lose weight. There is nothing magic or mysterious about it.

The only time I ever do something remotely similar is on days when I know I have a big pig out planned since I do not really do "cheat days". Most recently on the day I had my fantasy football draft I had nothing but a couple of protein bars all day. But when I got to Buffalo Wild Wings later on that night, it was on like Donkey Kong.

So long as you have found something that works for you, wonderful, but it is not wise to have false beliefs about IF or any other dieting fad. This is because most of them are not sustainable long term so at some point you are going to have to deal with the reality that calories are what controls weight, not timing.
  • Fitkam90
    Options

It "works" for you in the same way any diet plan does. If it produces a calorie deficit, you lose weight. There is nothing magic or mysterious about it.

The only time I ever do something remotely similar is on days when I know I have a big pig out planned since I do not really do "cheat days". Most recently on the day I had my fantasy football draft I had nothing but a couple of protein bars all day. But when I got to Buffalo Wild Wings later on that night, it was on like Donkey Kong.

So long as you have found something that works for you, wonderful, but it is not wise to have false beliefs about IF or any other dieting fad. This is because most of them are not sustainable long term so at some point you are going to have to deal with the reality that calories are what controls weight, not timing.

@JustRobby1 Buffalo Wild Wings is so delicious. It is a good thing I don't have any false beliefs about IF. It's also a great thing I find it sustainable. I have ample knowledge on weight loss. Lastly, who said anything about IF being magic?

• Fitkam90
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting-2017-update-v5/ here is a link for anyone who is curious about IF and how your body works differently during fasting.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    There have been a couple of argumentative posters in response to this thread. Please click the link above, and do your own research to become educated on IF if you are interested!
  • JustRobby1
    Options

@JustRobby1 Buffalo Wild Wings is so delicious. It is a good thing I don't have any false beliefs about IF. It's also a great thing I find it sustainable. I have ample knowledge on weight loss. Lastly, who said anything about IF being magic?

Once again, timing/IF is irrelevant to weight loss. To maintain otherwise is to harbor a false belief. That is not being argumentative it’s simply a statement of fact.

Ideally this is about a permanent lifestyle change. Meaning a strategy and relationship with eating that can be maintained for life. The overwhelming majority of the population is not going to be on an IF regimen for life. For the .01% of the population that can? More power to them. To most others who attempt to go this route, I will probably see them again 6 months or so down the road in an “introduce yourself” thread talking about how they are “trying again” or “starting over”. Some people unfortunately have to learn their lesson the hard way. I sure as hell did, but that is not something I would wish upon others.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited October 2017
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting-2017-update-v5/ here is a link for anyone who is curious about IF and how your body works differently during fasting.

the link is not a peer reviewed scientific study. also I have not lost any more weight fasting as compared to when I do fast. (16:8) I dont feel any different. my energy levels are also no different. I fast because Im not normally a breakfast eater and really never was. I lost the same amount of weight in the same amount of time. neither one makes a difference to me and I do have a metabolic issue. you would think if IF is so great it would help me. nope.I lose weight in a deficit no matter how I eat,whether I fast or not. my body works no differently.
  • JustRobby1
    Options

the link is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Please don't respond to my posts any longer @CharlieBeansmomTracey. Your responses are not positive nor credible. I see you posting similar posts on other threads.

Not credible? And yet you post a link to a "Nerd Fitness" and you are somehow credible? I am sure we will see that cite on the cover of JAMA any day now.

Furthermore, if you don't want your highly dubious claims challenged and prefer an echo chamber of nonsense about IF, perhaps Reddit is more your speed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've done both 5:2 and 16:8 styles of IF.
    5:2 really worked well for me to lose weight - I found adherence to a sensible weekly calorie goal far easier than an everyday deficit.
    Also tried 16:8 for weight maintenance but didn't like it - although I'm someone who can easily skip breakfast I also don't like feeling restricted. Now I just skip breakfast sometimes and enjoy having breakfast other days.

And that's really what IF is all about, an adherence tool that suits some people and not others. There is no reputable evidence IF has any advantage over other eating patterns when calories are equal over time.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've done both 5:2 and 16:8 styles of IF.
    5:2 really worked well for me to lose weight - I found adherence to a sensible weekly calorie goal far easier than an everyday deficit.
    Also tried 16:8 for weight maintenance but didn't like it - although I'm someone who can easily skip breakfast I also don't like feeling restricted. Now I just skip breakfast sometimes and enjoy having breakfast other days.

And that's really what IF is all about, an adherence tool that suits some people and not others. There is no reputable evidence IF has any advantage over other eating patterns when calories are equal over time.

Exactly! Thank you for your response!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I did 4:3 for about 4 years. 3 days a week with nothing but water. Now I do a mix of Keto 5 days a week (with 16:8) and then 2 days with nothing but water.

Works well for me, I'm used to no food & prefer it that way. Easy done when I work in a cafe as well :)
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I did 4:3 for about 4 years. 3 days a week with nothing but water. Now I do a mix of Keto 5 days a week (with 16:8) and then 2 days with nothing but water.

Works well for me, I'm used to no food & prefer it that way. Easy done when I work in a cafe as well :)

That's awesome! Thanks for your response
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

the link is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Please don't respond to my posts any longer @CharlieBeansmomTracey. Your responses are not positive nor credible. I see you posting similar posts on other threads.

yet others tell me all the time how helpful my posts are. you and a few others may find it not positive. what I post is truth and common sense and proven by science(or may not have been proven yet as the studies are inconclusive). I have been here long enough and done enough research in the last 5 years(going on 6) to know that IF is just a way of eating and its nothing special. oh and I have helped many people lose weight,get off plateaus and so on. what did I say thats not credible? please point me to what I said that wasnt credible.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!