High cholesterol/Keto- now what?

Options
I was doing the keto diet until my cholesterol and triglycerides came back high. I have Hashimoto's too, it can contribute to high cholesterol levels. I lost 25 pounds, but am concerned by the latest tests.

What are the best and safest ways to lower cholesterol & triglyceride levels and lose weight? I am very discouraged and confused.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You can also try adding fish oil or flaxseed oil to your diet, also try fats that are lower in saturated fats, leaner meats and add olive or avocado oil instead
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're part of the population whose sensitive to saturated fat. Welcome to the club.

You have a few alternatives here. Calories are all that matter, but I know it's not always so simple because satiety is important and it varies a lot.

You could try low fat, high protein, moderate carb with healthy carbs high in fiber like tubers and beans (this is how I eat and how I manage my cholesterol).

You could try low carb, moderate fat, moderate protein with healthy fats like avocados and olive oil and only lean proteins and very, very limited saturated fats. Keep your dairy low fat. Eat a lot of high fiber veggies, nuts, seeds.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was doing the keto diet until my cholesterol and triglycerides came back high. I have Hashimoto's too, it can contribute to high cholesterol levels. I lost 25 pounds, but am concerned by the latest tests.

What are the best and safest ways to lower cholesterol & triglyceride levels and lose weight? I am very discouraged and confused.
    Thanks in advance!

What do all of your numbers look like?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The way of lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels that works for me is to maintain a calorie deficit and lift heavy.

That's an anecdote, not a recommendation.
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know what you are eating to get these results.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Stress can also raise cholesterol levels. Dieting is stressful.

If I were in your shoes I'd switch from a Keto to a cholesterol busting diet.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/reduce-cholesterol/art-20045935

Stick to monosaturated fats, consume omega 3 sources, eat plenty of soluble fiber like oatmeal for breakfast, and include whey protein as a supplement.

Exercise for stress reduction.
  • skinnyutahgurl
    skinnyutahgurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

2015 total cholesterol was 178 LDL 106
    Triglycerides were 159
    2016 total cholesterol was 200 LDL 115
    Triglycerides were 129
    2017 total cholesterol was 203 LDL 123
    Triglycerides were 210

I have done a few rounds of the keto diet which is high fat/high protein. Over the last 3 years, with about a 12 month break from it in 2016. Do you think that diet could be contributing to the rising numbers? Everything I read said it should do the opposite. Thanks.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Triglycerides were 159
    Triglycerides were 129
    Triglycerides were 210

I have done a few rounds of the keto diet which is high fat/high protein. Over the last 3 years, with about a 12 month break from it in 2016. Do you think that diet could be contributing to the rising numbers? Everything I read said it should do the opposite. Thanks.

Whats your HDL? But yea, your triglycerides are a bit high.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • skinnyutahgurl
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    What are your actual numbers?

It could be you are a hyper-responder to fat.

It could be it was high before you even started.

It could be the transient rise in triglycerides and cholesterol that many experience while losing weight - it tends to stabilize a few months after maintaining.

You might find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZu52duIqno

That was interesting, thanks for that. I will have to watch it again as the skeptic and the doctors in my head are saying "no way" it has to be the reason it's jumped.
    I will say I felt so much better on a moderately ketogenic diet, I slept better, my inflammation was gone, food cravings were gone, I had energy and clearer thinking. I had to increase my carbs from 20 grams to 30-40 grams a day due to side effects, but still felt drastically better. Until my tests came back and my doctor warned me to change my diet.
  • skinnyutahgurl
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what you are eating to get these results.

I ate whole eggs, light and dark meat chicken, cheese, cream, butter, spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes, avocados, turkey, radishes, berries, salmon, etc. I primarily ate a low carb high fat ketogenic diet and was losing weight, so I thought the tests would come back even better than they had before because I weighed less.
  • skinnyutahgurl
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Triglycerides were 159
    Triglycerides were 129
    Triglycerides were 210

The Chol/HDL is 3.8, 2016 was 4.7, 2015 was 3.9
    HDL/Cholesterol is 53, 2016 was 43, 2015 was 46
    LDL is 123

What would cause the triglycerides to increase like that?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Triglycerides were 159
    Triglycerides were 129
    Triglycerides were 210

The Chol/HDL is 3.8, 2016 was 4.7, 2015 was 3.9
    HDL/Cholesterol is 53, 2016 was 43, 2015 was 46
    LDL is 123

What would cause the triglycerides to increase like that?

Weight loss will often cause a jump in triglycerides. A diet high in (refined) carbs can do it as can a lack of exercise. And for some, a high fat diet can raise tri's.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My chloresteral improved w a high volume low cal, plant based diet.