Taking a week break from logging food - What results have YOU had from a logging break?

Options

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I rarely log food intake anymore. As long as I eat my protein and fruits and veggies, and get my exercise, I stay on track. Occasionally I let other things take priority and I gain a little weight, but with a bit of focus (but still no logging), it comes right back off again. A few times I have really struggled and started logging again in hopes of getting back to my good habits, and so far, it has always worked.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I lost 125 lbs then been maintaining 1 year after I stopped logging. I logged only for my first 3 months, 25 lbs. I eat consistently (same things) and learned to manage eating out. So the things I learned while logging stayed with me.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Depends how long it's for but generally maintenance or a small (3-4lb) gain followed by maintenance.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    In July I went to Europe for 2 weeks and took a break. Mentally it was great for me! I didn’t log, didn’t wear my Fitbit, and swapped my regular intense 2hr weights/boxing workouts for 15 min morning yoga.

I did come back a few lbs heavier but it was water weight and within a little over a week I was back to normal. I was plateaued for a few months before the trip and am now down 5lb from pre-vacation weight with 5lb more to go to goal.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    6.51bs on and so not *kitten* worth it. Thar was my wight in after not logging last week.
  • KiwiGirl38
    KiwiGirl38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just had a week off due to going overseas for a holiday. I set my goal to loose .25 kilos and I was able to eat an extra 1800kj per day. It made a difference eating more. I also walked alot and ate some of those kj's back. I ended up loosing 700 grams and came back slightly lighter.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    I would like to throw something in here... A lot of people say they instantly gained weight when not logging a week. But this observation might be biased. Many of us take a break from logging because other things take over. Vacation, depression, stress at work, having a baby, you name it. That already sets you up to be thrown out of your rhythm and is connected to having fewer choices of food/ choice to prepare it yourself / choice of portions served to you. That does not mean that the break from logging alone made you gain weight, it was the break from your structure in total. That can be different if you just take a random break but keep everything else on track.

That would be correct, and for one week it's likely not going to make that much of a difference if you're careful with your choices. "IDGAF" kind of logging break is potentially more likely to lead to weight gain. My experience, however, with longer periods of not logging is that it's harder for me to diet because I tend to want to undereat "just in case" and it's more stressful because I'm not sure if I can "afford" that piece of high calorie something I want, which leads to food blowouts that make it harder for me to lose weight. For maintenance, I find not logging much easier. I notice a calorie creep the longer I'm not logging and I find myself needing to take corrective "fast days" more often (when weight goes above my set maximum allowed). I also personally feel logging puts me in a better mental state for calorie control and I'm happier on it.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For me it equaled weight gain. I wasn’t ready to not be tracking & quickly fell right back into old eating habits
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Water weight gain. Was eating more carbs and enjoying two weeks' holiday. It was ace! Came back no problems logging and hitting calorie targets for deficit. Still losing now. I like the slow and steady approach. I like being flexible. I like the practice and the confidence eating at maintenance and slightly over has given me. Not logging did not stress me out either.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    For me, a logging break is a diet break - I don't find it difficult to log so if i'm not logging, it's generally because I'm overeating and don't care what the macros/calories are. I have found a week off after 4-5 months can be a great mental break, with minimal setbacks - however, you do need to be very aware of how to 'get back on the horse' - which I know i'm fine at. If you are someone who struggles to start, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Stopped logging. Started gaining. Went back to logging.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just started back today after a 2 week stay-cation. I do not log or worry about what I eat during vacations...the result...4 lb gain. It's hard as hell to lose 4 lbs in 2 weeks but easy as pie (and brownies and homemade bread, etc) to gain it.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If it is ONLY a week, Maintenance.
    If more than a week I can go up by 5-7 lbs due to my love of carbs some will be fat some will be water.

Taking a tracking break for 1 week does wonders for recommitting to tracking. I'd rather stop tracking completely than become lax in tracking.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Taking a break from logging leads to a longer break from logging. I think of logging as being a good habit and see a 'break' from logging as being a 'break' from my other good habits.

I learned from previous laxness in logging that I cannot rely on how I feel about what I'm eating to control my intake. I've also learned that I'm not entirely honest with myself about how much I am eating. Logging has been an excellent counterbalance to my shortcomings, as well as the most effective thing I do for my health.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Its second nature for me to login every day and track food and exercise. It does not take much time for me to do it, but I have not met my need to take a break from it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I needed a logging break over a year ago....I'm still on that break and have maintained my weight fairly effortlessly. I do weigh regularly though so if I saw myself going to higher end of goal range I would just cut out a snack to get back to my happy weight.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Weight gain. I'm up a lb and a half. Not loving it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    A week turned into 2 weeks, then 3 weeks, then 3 months and I undid 4 months of hard work :tongue: