Obese Child? They'll be taken away!

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I also find this post funny coming from someone who's profile claims that they gained 80 lbs in 4 months due to a thyroid problem. But all obese kids have unloving parents?

This^^

What does healthy lifestyle and thyroid disease have in common? NOTHING. I had cancer, so sue me and sue my parents, because that must be their fault, right?

They were just saying that there can be factors beyond what the child is eating causing the obesity. Children are not immune to cancers and thyroid issues either, they can gain a lot of weight from medications they are on as well. Should these children be taken away from their parents because it is surely their parent's fault and they should be sued as well!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    To the OP.... 90 pound 2 year old yes.... but in a child it does not take much to put them in a obese category. Maybe next time before you vent you should think through what you are writing.

No offense meant, but honestly you came across as a judgmental, holier than though little you know what. Now, I am NOT saying that you are that at all... but with your post being general regarding parents of obese kids not loving their kids and being lazy. To hell with that. That was one of the rudest most judgmental things you could have written.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Well if thats the case then my whole family should be taken away because my grandparents, all my uncles, my dad and half of my cousins were or are obese.
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I feel like obese children are the result of lazy parenting. It's almost child abuse in my eyes, having the child be so unhealthy. And to think of the hard life they will have. Parents should try to raise healthy kids. But unfortunately so many people/parents are not healthy themselves. They don't care. And they don't care about their child's health either.
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So, should we take kids away from parents who are skinny but not healthily fed? Should all kids that eat McD get taken away? How obese is too obese? Sure, some of these kids probably would benefit, but so would some skinny kids. There are homes with very obese kids and very skinny ones - all in the same family. Do you take only the obese child away?

Not quite I get whats being said here... Kids who are too skinny but are being fed a poor diet should be taken away??? YES and absolutely!!! am I not understanding the hypothetical situation here? Kids only eat poor foods as a result of their parents, kids only play inside as a result of their parents. The point of being a parent is to teach your kid how to be an adult, that includes proper nutrtion. And we should not BLAME McDonalds, thats a weak persons excuse. McDonalds exsists because you gave them money. there is no one to blame but yourself.

Though I don't like the idea weigh me this, Is it better to experence trama young or die younger with health problems?
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I also find this post funny coming from someone who's profile claims that they gained 80 lbs in 4 months due to a thyroid problem. But all obese kids have unloving parents?

This^^

What does healthy lifestyle and thyroid disease have in common? NOTHING. I had cancer, so sue me and sue my parents, because that must be their fault, right?

only pointing out the fact that you have not taken into account any of the reasons a child might be obese other than their parents don't care enough. You have an excuse why you gained weight right or at least your profile says so and it wasn't because your parents didn't care enough.

[/quote]
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    So, should we take kids away from parents who are skinny but not healthily fed? Should all kids that eat McD get taken away? How obese is too obese? Sure, some of these kids probably would benefit, but so would some skinny kids. There are homes with very obese kids and very skinny ones - all in the same family. Do you take only the obese child away?

:drinker: Agreee
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    There are *so many* things to take into consideration when looking at obesity in kids...genetics, family influence, being informed about healthy eating, and having access to and the financial means to eat healthy. I don't think it's any secret that if a mom on a budget has to choose between a family-sized box of Kraft Mac n Cheese (that will feed the family) or a few apples...for the same price, she'll choose the mac. (Really, our local paper did a series about poverty and eating habits in Denver and a woman used that example.) Not to mention the fact that it's harder to find healthy choices in poorer areas...there are so many people fighting an uphill battle.

Once we do something about all of the above, then perhaps we'll see declining obesity rates in this country. Does something need to be done? Yes. However, it's a complex problem which will require a multi-leveled solution--taking kids away from their families who (presumably) love and cherish their children just won't fix a d@mn thing.

Oh, and to the OP, for you to make a blanket statement about how "lazy" parents are when they drive through McDonald's--rather than take the time to make something healthy and good for the kids...well, you've clearly never been a working parent with children. Yesterday, my kids had chicken nuggets from McDonald's (and I had a Big Mac, thankyouverymuch!) However, today, they had whole wheat pasta with veggie-filled sauce, that I made from scratch (and froze a few weeks ago.)

Balance and moderation, balance and moderation.
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have 2 girls, 5 and 7. One of them is super skinny. No matter how much she eats, you can see avery single muscle in her abs. I have to have all her pants altered because they fall down. I can guarantee, she eats, and eats. She is although very active. She runs and jumps and keeps moving. She sleeps only what is necessary and she's up and running again. I guess her metabolism is fast, her thyroid is overworking, or she is just born with this super athletic body.
    My other daughter looks like me when I was a kid. She eats normal meals, she goes to school, after school, swimming, dance, and to the playground constantly. But, she rather read than jump and run. She reads whenever she can. She just loves books. She is a chubby baby. Not fat, but on her way. I remember myself at that age and I grew up to be overweight. Never too fat, but always with the 10-30 fluctuating extra lbs.
    I feel so guilty because of that, I know one day she will blame me for being chubby. But, I don't know what to do. We have healthy meals, with lots of veggies. We never drink sodas or juices, never eat fast-food. I cook all the times, and watch the calories.
    I just see the the 2 kids are different. They eat the same things and they have totally different bodies. I don't feel like putting one on a diet while the other one eats dinner.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point, if your child is morbidly obese and you continue to feed them crap, then that is abuse. When doctors tell you, you are killing your child and you fail to do anything, then you are an unfit parent. How do you feel when you hear about a baby being born addicted to crack, it really isn't that different when a child is 2 and addicted to fast food. As many of you know it is an addiction!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I think growing up on a farm would be very nice.

Maybe for some, but I grew up with hayfever and asthma. I dislike being out in nature for too long, allergy meds or no allergy meds. Where should I have grown up, Heather?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Any of you ever been through the foster system or know people who have been? Before we start taking kids away from their parents and putting them in foster care they should fix the foster system.

How is taking a depressed kid away from their family helping?
    Lots of medical conditions/food intolerances cause rapid weight gain, and doctors don't diagnose them correctly (I am an example of this) with my Celiac.

The government ruins enough things, it shouldn't take families apart. Why not blame McDonald's instead of the parents? Or the food industry in general?

Why not start with mandatory meetings/classes for these parents? Why start with ripping apart a family?

Actually, both of my parents came from the foster home system. No, my parents did not have ideal lives growing up, but their original situations were worse. Growing up, my family housed foster kids as well...I always had "brothers and sisters" in our home, so I have definitely seen both sides of the system. I'm not saying foster care is ideal, but SOMETHING has to be done, because the USA is the ONLY nation in the WORLD right now whose children are dying before their parents because of unhealthy lifestyles TAUGHT to them by said parents. Maybe taking children away is extreme, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Should we start with like, a nutrition class though?
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It's not always that simple, and you can't predict the psychological or physical damage that can be done to a child being stripped from their parent. What does need to happen is intervention and education, and overall reshaping of how our society views food, which I think is happening, but slowly.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I can't even take time to read what everyone else is saying, because ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Besides the fact that the government is trying to micromanage our lives WAY too much as it is, REALLY?

I was overweight since five, but it wasn't because my parents screwed up. I grew up on a dairy farm; my mom cooked every one of our meals, we had garden veggies, fresh dairy products, fresh beef, poultry, pork, fruit orchards. I played outside CONSTANTLY, plus I had chores all the time. I drove tractors, hay'd the animals, bottle fed the calves, HAULED HAY, and everything imaginable you can do on a farm. We swam in the creek, swung on grapevines, built forts, and walked all 600 something acres on a regular basis. My three younger sisters didn't have weight problems. Just me.

And who, pray tell, do we give these obese children to? Foster homes, really? Because they don't already have enough emotional issues, let's give them more. There are great homes, there are terrible homes, but there aren't ever enough because some people want to tell others how to live their lives while doing absolutely nothing to actually get their hands dirty and lead by example.

My soap box is over.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I feel like obese children are the result of lazy parenting. It's almost child abuse in my eyes, having the child be so unhealthy. And to think of the hard life they will have. Parents should try to raise healthy kids. But unfortunately so many people/parents are not healthy themselves. They don't care. And they don't care about their child's health either.

Wow, yes. That is it. Parents must not care about their kids... it certainly couldn't be because they are uneducated. How many on MFP were NOT overweight or obese as children and now are... and some have kids that are as well. Don't you think it is more about reteaching good nutrition and eating habits to the family?

Just be careful with all that judging... I'm sure there are those who could rip holes in your world too..
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE... kids have a hard enough time when average in school not getting made fun of and their health is up to the parents and starting them out right with proper balance and nutrition is just as important as their schooling if not more! I am helping
    to end the trend of obesity in America and am especially passionate about doing so with our children. Have your children work out with you to something fun, include them in cooking healthy, etc. The average American's age span has gone down in the first time in years because of this very same issue!

Feel free to friend me anyone on here as I love this post out of the ones I've ever seen on here and lets help end the trend together amongst our children.

Peace, love, and health... Colleen (Seattle)
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Prevention is always the best cure!

Maybe the government could start promoting healthy eating (it's a BIG thing in the UK) in schools and try and also get the parents involved.

However, then you have to deal with angry parents who refuse to be coached regarding their parenting.

It's difficult...and I certainly disagree that clinically obese children should be taken away...this would cause more problems...and they may start over eating to deal with the stress. Maybe an idea would be for social services to be indirectly monitoring them and giving advice to them, guiding them e.t.c.

Taking away children for obesity will only end in a serious problem. You don't treat a negative thing with a negative action...it will just create huge problems.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Also what about children who break bones by skating and falling? Obviously they have neglectful parents. What about children who are fed poor nutrition, but not a lot of it? That's still not healthy. Parents that smoke in the house? They shouldn't have children either.

Now while all of these are obviously harmful to children, that isn't what's being disagreed upon. It's that anyone thinking taking children away from their parents is somehow a good alternative for any problem. Also, this bull**** of blaming the individual instead of taking into consideration the plethora of environmental factors that can play a difference.