100 lbs and Plus without surgery

Options
Who has more than 100 lbs or more pounds to loose to get to a healthy weight? Why are you doing that is really working? What motivates you to do it without surgery? How can we most support each other.

I have chosen to do it without surgery because I just don't want to put my body through surgery and I know it is doable without it. That is no a dig at anyone who chooses surgery because everyone has to choose their own path. I have several friend who have had surgery. It's a tool but it is not a cake walk. They are mostly doing and have my full support. It is just not something I just for myself at this time. I would love to buddy up with people who have similar weight goals.

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Mellykay88 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 110 lbs so far with a lot left to go. I’m not doing surgery as I’ve personally witnessed it not working. Weight loss Surgery is not a miracle fix, it’s a tool which makes it easier for some people to create a calorie deficit needed to lose weight. My dad has had two surgeries (first lap band then a gastric sleeve). He lost a lot of weight with the lap band surgery, but he gained it all back, plus more, because he never learned how to eat to maintain the weight loss. The lap band had to be removed due to some sort of complication and he opted for the gastric sleeve, which did not work for him at all. I realize that wls works for a lot of people, but I also feel that it is being pushed onto people as a miracle fix, when it is not. The awesome thing about MFP and similar tools is that it teaches us how to lose weight (and maintain or gain). It takes away all of the mysticism of a lot of the “miracle diets”, which I find is really helpful for me. If I go a week or month and the scale doesn’t move as much as I wanted, I can look back and see exactly what happened.

Edited to add: I’ve been overweight since I was a toddler. My mom, well meaning as she was, put me and my sister on diet after diet, but never taught us “how” to eat for health. This led to a really unhealthy relationship with food and many nights thinking that “tomorrow” would be the day I would start losing weight. Last December it finally clicked for me and, thanks to MFP, I learned how to lose weight and realized that if I followed my plan I would be successful. I always thought there was some secret to weight loss or that losing weight meant I’d have to starve. Once I figured out the science, I started seeing results.

Brilliant post. Wish more could read it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm down ~110 since Aug 2016, with ~30 more or so to go. No surgery, just eating less to start. Then I started walking. Using MFP as intended and upping my activity. Did a 10K run last weekend, taking swimming lessons and lifting twice a week.

It is a simple process. It is not an easy one. Don't make it more complicated then you have to.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My fiance lost 90lbs over the course of 5 years or so. I'm very proud of him. He's never counted calories or used MFP.

It began when we both decided to try a keto diet. I was doing all the cooking so all he had to do was eat lots of meat and vegetables lol. So that resulted in steady weight loss for him.

Then he got into running, and that helped him shed more. Now he's in a high-intensity boxing class 3x a week for the past half a year, and that's really helped him reach his goal weight and put on muscle.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My 1st goal in March didn't have anything to do with my weight. I was having some digestive issues, (among other things) I tracked my intake for a week or 2 and realized I wasn't eating as much fruit and veg as I thought I was, so my goal was to add a serving of fruit or veg to everything I ate. I like most fruits and vegetables and if you asked me, I would've told you I ate a lot of each, but the food log doesn't lie. After a few weeks, I went to the doctor for something and I had lost 7 lbs, without really planning to. So I set a little goal, to lose 25#, and to increase my "healthy" fats (more nuts and fish) which I've reached. My new goal is another 30#, which will put me under 200#. I don't even want to think about my goal after that, it's too overwhelming for me, personally! ( I'm 5'1". so you can do the math if you want) I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, but I measure or weigh everything. I eat food I like, my digestive issues have resolved for the most part, and I feel good. Next non weight related goal is to increase my walking, which is challenging because I have a painful knee. (Never before until about 2 months ago, isn't that a kick in the head?) Good luck! Add me if you would like.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you
  • lynnstar_lynnstar
    lynnstar_lynnstar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This thread is so inspirational. I have 100lbs to lose as well. It feels so daunting but I know that I can do it. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. Its very helpful. Please feel free to friend me. Let's help each other!!