Does anyone here swim?

aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
There is a lot of info out there about running and paces and training. I can't run right now, but I love swimming!

Not sure what "good" pace is for laps, or how many laps to do, or what a "lap" translates to. I'm pretty sure my gym has 25yd and 50yd lanes, and I go for about 22laps/42ish minutes 3x a week but would like to get on a "training program". Recommendations welcome!

Really just working out for weight loss and feel good, but it'd be nice to have some concrete milestones.

Thanks!

Replies

• your_pal_crusher
    your_pal_crusher Posts: 4,437 Member
    Swimming is so great. I just started swimming laps a few years ago and I really love it now. I got some advice from swimmers who were pretty knowledgeable about proper form etc so that I was improving in regard to efficiency and not creating bad habits. If you're doing +40min 3x a week - sounds like you're doing great. I'd recommend having a swim coach give you some technical advice on how to improve your form.

Cheers!
  • aeloine
    Swimming is so great. I just started swimming laps a few years ago and I really love it now. I got some advice from swimmers who were pretty knowledgeable about proper form etc so that I was improving in regard to efficiency and not creating bad habits. If you're doing +40min 3x a week - sounds like you're doing great. I'd recommend having a swim coach give you some technical advice on how to improve your form.

Cheers!

Thanks!

I've spent LOT of time in the summers swimming in open water (ocean), so I've got the stamina for it. Just not sure if I have a "decent" pace going.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I started swimming laps in the gym pool on not lift days. Going to swim in an hour and a half. I can get about 40 minutes in over lunch.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Me! I love to swim too, I swam competitively as a child/early teens but stopped for years. I've just joined my uni's swim team though. Have a look on he speedo website, I seem to remember them having training sets for all abilities
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    I was a competitive swimmer in high school and briefly when I was in the Air Force, but haven't swam regularly like that in years.

I live next to a huge indoor public pool, but the freakin' thing is closed right now while they put on a new roof. It was supposed to open this month, but now they're saying next month.

I really really want to start swimming again.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I've been swimming for over 20 yrs. I go 3x a week, 40 min lap swimming, 30 min acquagym. If you want a serious program, I'd get an instructor for awhile. Otherwise swim your laps and time yourself. That's your starting point so try cutting your time. Form is important, hence the instructor to start. There are alot of strength building exercises in the water that you can use. I watch the better swimmers and get ideas from them. Youtube is also your friend. Have fun!
  • aeloine
    I've been swimming for over 20 yrs. I go 3x a week, 40 min lap swimming, 30 min acquagym. If you want a serious program, I'd get an instructor for awhile. Otherwise swim your laps and time yourself. That's your starting point so try cutting your time. Form is important, hence the instructor to start. There are alot of strength building exercises in the water that you can use. I watch the better swimmers and get ideas from them. Youtube is also your friend. Have fun!

Awesome ideas!! Thanks a bunch!
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Some of the answer lies in your goals. Do you swim all the strokes? Do you do any drills, kicking, pulling, etc.? Ever thought about training for an open course race or joining a master's swim team?
  • aeloine
    Some of the answer lies in your goals. Do you swim all the strokes? Do you do any drills, kicking, pulling, etc.? Ever thought about training for an open course race or joining a master's swim team?

What's a masters swim team?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Love to swim too. A decent pace is faster than last month. My Y pool just posted a signboard with high school team records. Gold medalist Nathan Adrian holds all the boys records and Olympians Dana and Tara Kirk hold most of the girls records. My times are multiples of theirs. But I'm not gonna feel the least bit bad about it. I keep improving, having fun, and getting fitter. That's what matters to me.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Love swimming so much!
    My gym has a 25m pool and I generally swim 1km (40 laps) in 20mins, 2km in 40mins etc. I start to lose some pace after 2km, but have done a 5km (200 laps) in 1hr 45 :) so not losing too much and I use hand fins/paddles and breaststroke within the 200 else I may get too bored!
    I am happy with that pace and find kick drills too boring to do regularly. I did find some good videos on youtube about hand placement for the stroke and breathing tips.
    Every now and again I time my 1km and have got it down to 17:43 - but I cannot keep that up for longer yet!
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    aeloine wrote: »

What's a masters swim team?

It's organized swimming for adults, you may or may not have a team in your area, but you don't have to join a team to benefit from the organization.

http://www.usms.org/gettingstarted/faq.php
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    I joined a masters swim team and they already have workouts. Check with your local college or YMCA to see if they have one. Also, pre masters, I used something called workouts in a binder. It's a water proof book with different workouts.

https://www.amazon.com/Workouts-Binder-Swimmers-Triathletes-Coaches/dp/1931382743/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508325251&sr=8-1&keywords=workouts+in+a+binder+swim
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    rbiss wrote: »
    I joined a masters swim team and they already have workouts. Check with your local college or YMCA to see if they have one. Also, pre masters, I used something called workouts in a binder. It's a water proof book with different workouts.

https://www.amazon.com/Workouts-Binder-Swimmers-Triathletes-Coaches/dp/1931382743/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508325251&sr=8-1&keywords=workouts+in+a+binder+swim

Thanks for the link, I just ordered my copy.....I need more structure in my swim training.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    love it!, we just closed the pool for the season!, on to another sport tho!, I love the seasons, I just keep changing to new things to do!
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Hi! I swam for 18 years, and love to get in the pool and lap swim when i can. There are a lot of apps out there for workouts, but not many for swim. I have an iWatch and use the app MySwimPro when i swim. However, pinterest has some good ones there, too, if you are looking. They also have beginners, intermediate, and advanced level workouts.
  • goodkoalie
    goodkoalie Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2017
    I have been competitively swimming since 6th grade, so about 8 years now. I would definitely recommend an instructor, as in injuries are pretty common with improper form.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @aeloine So many great answers and links to Swimming from fellow splasher's.
    If you don't have a masters group - check if your local pool has an Adult Swim Club its less than masters more than general swim lessons. Don't be afraid to ask the Pool if they would consider offering an Adult Swim Club, especially during the winter months as a way for people to add a little exercise.
    5 years ago there was 3 people in out ASC. Now we have 12 people - they limit it to 15 due to Lane restrictions.

If you want to see some routines that people have posted of their workouts come visit the Did You Swim Today thread. If you look back through the thread you can see different routines.

On a different topic.

RIP Gord Downie Tragically Hip Frontman
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Janice6543 wrote: »
    Decent beginner pace is about 2:30 per 100 m interval, including rest. (Front crawl)

Huh. That's exactly what I got yesterday.