Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Vegan Debate - Are we truly Herbivores or Omnivores.

Replies

• Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    edited October 2017
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OK, stupid guy asking stupid question... but where did the idea that we were herbivores come from? That seems ridiculous to me...

Some vegans believe this idea. I at one time fell into this ideal of thinking, when trying to find the right way of eating and what's the most natural form that we should go.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    OK, stupid guy asking stupid question... but where did the idea that we were herbivores come from? That seems ridiculous to me...

Well it's a debate. Just like there are a group of people that believe the earth is flat. I'll refrain from calling you names though. Thanks for the comment.

No one called you names. Saying an idea seems ridiculous isn't the same as saying you are ridiculous. And this, much like the question of whether the Earth is flat, isn't a debate. There are facts, and people who choose to ignore those facts.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

Well it's a debate. Just like there are a group of people that believe the earth is flat. I'll refrain from calling you names though. Thanks for the comment.

He also wasn't calling you stupid guy. I'm pretty sure he aimed that comment at himself because he was asking where the idea came from.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »

No one called you names. Saying an idea seems ridiculous isn't the same as saying you are ridiculous. And this, much like the question of whether the Earth is flat, isn't a debate. There are facts, and people who choose to ignore those facts.

I think there was a misunderstanding on who was being referred to in the "stupid guy asking a stupid question" part...seems @jjpptt2 was referring to himself while it came across that he meant the OP.
  • Lavelle1980
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I think there was a misunderstanding on who was being referred to in the "stupid guy asking a stupid question" part...seems @jjpptt2 was referring to himself while it came across that he meant the OP.

I guess that what happens when you don't have your morning coffee. LOL, updated my response. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Can a human exist at optimal health on a herbivore diet with no supplements? No? Well, there you go.

We are omnivores, but I don't think this is a valid argument for proving it. The question would have to be could humans ever exist at optimal health on a herbivore diet. It's quite possible that at some point in time we could.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Can a human exist at optimal health on a herbivore diet with no supplements? No? Well, there you go.

We are omnivores, but I don't think this is a valid argument for proving it. The question would have to be could humans ever exist at optimal health on a herbivore diet. It's quite possible that at some point in time we could.

I wonder if Giant Pandas could be used as an example. I don't know much about them, including how long they've been surviving on a herbivore diet despite an omnivore digestive system.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member

I wonder if Giant Pandas could be used as an example. I don't know much about them, including how long they've been surviving on a herbivore diet despite an omnivore digestive system.

Pandas will eat meat, including eggs and small rodents.

Yeah, I just read that. That might be some proof in itself. haha. Still they waste an exorbitant amount of resources and energy eating bamboo instead of just eating meat in accordance with their carnivorous nature.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

I guess that what happens when you don't have your morning coffee. LOL, updated my response. :)

Funny thing...I read it as an insult myself before I had my coffee...then read it as intended afterward.
    Coffee = harmony

Me too, although there was no coffee involved on my end :).
  • Lavelle1980
    jesslla wrote: »

My bad, I read it wrong. Just sipped my coffee and now everything makes sense LOL. okay, edited my response.

I believe most wars would have been avoided if the principal players had had their coffee before responding to what they thought were insults. ;)

HA HA HA. So true! I would of avoided child support if I just had a nice cup of coffee 17 years ago :|
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »

Funny thing...I read it as an insult myself before I had my coffee...then read it as intended afterward.
    Coffee = harmony

Me too, although there was no coffee involved on my end :).

giphy.gif
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    jesslla wrote: »

My bad, I read it wrong. Just sipped my coffee and now everything makes sense LOL. okay, edited my response.

I believe most wars would have been avoided if the principal players had had their coffee before responding to what they thought were insults. ;)

HA HA HA. So true! I would of avoided child support if I just had a nice cup of coffee 17 years ago :|

The child support may have happened anyway. She may have been looking for a fight in any way she could, I don't know. Sucks for you though, but I'm sure your child is worth the inconvenience right now. And there's only so many more years you have to pay for them!