Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone else receive disapproval from partner? Or have a S/O who believes false information?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Ugh. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. Another proof that doctors know nothing about nutrition.

Unfortunately, I don't have much advice... IMO it's pretty much a given that you have to change your lifestyle when you try to lose weight, and it often puts a strain on relationships.. especially as men can get away with eating much more than we do without gaining weight... But I'm a foodie too so I can understand the frustration on the other side too (just imagine what it's like for me, lol!).

I'd say, talk to him again and explain that you really want to lose those 10 lbs and eating out too much is just not going to work. Can you show him nutrition information online and what the average TDEE is? Maybe that would help? Without even mentioning CICO... just that the average steak at a restaurant is 1000 calories and that the average calorie burn for a woman is 2000. Even if he thinks that protein doesn't make you gain weight, maybe realizing that there's also a lot of fat in that steak will help... heck, I don't know.

Good luck OP.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ugh. just that the average steak at a restaurant is 1000 calories

OMG what restaurants do you go to where the average steak is 1000 calories??? That's one heck of a big steak! :D

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    My partner has said things that got to me

He told me all I needed to do to lose was to not eat and run for hours every day " cos babe marathon runners are skinny "

and he called me out on eating a salad at kfc instead of a big daddy burger and fries like him

I ended up telling him that being a 5ft 2 female trying to lose weight instead of a 6ft man trying to gain weight like him means I need less food and calories than him, that I've done my research, know what I'm doing and its not up for debate then shifted on to a topic I knew he enjoyed instead
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'm assuming you don't want to break up over a minor issue, and that it really IS a minor issue and not a symptom of a general controlling attitude or disrespect of your opinions and desires.

Sit down when you are both in a good mood and talk it out. Tell him it's important to you that he does NOT comment on your eating or dieting AT ALL. You also need to agree not to talk to him about it. In return, agree to go out to dinner with him once a week on the weekend, and again, don't mention your diet or calories or anything during dinner (when he's not looking checking out the menu beforehand to select the healthiest option you can find and work it into our calories). You can also point out the money saved by not eating out often.
  • Riverwild77
    Riverwild77 Posts: 20 Member
    He really needs to be supportive of you and try to help you realize your goals, that’s how it’s supposed to be. Only you can fix you.
  • BobbieSparks2
    BobbieSparks2 Posts: 12 Member
    My Husband is very disapproving of me wanting to lose weight and doesn't like the thought of me lifting weights either. He does the same things to me on our date nights and gets very mad at me when I tell him that I can't have what he wants me to have when we eat. He tells me that I exercise to much and lift to often. He also recently told me that all my male friends (some I've known all my life) had to go and that he didn't want me talking to them anymore. Oh and just in case your wondering, no he's not over weight. He has a very muscular build. To be honest, we don't really look like we should be a couple.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    My husband has been very supportive of my weight loss, especially since the changes I've been making have been bleeding over to him and he's losing weight too! That said, navigating eating out was a BIG part of my getting into a deficit in the first place, and continues to be an area I work to balance. We are both foodies and barflies, and I did not want that to stop, just become less frequent. That's meant making compromises, in particular accepting a significantly slower rate of loss than I might otherwise have managed, but that's been worth it to me.

I'm not sure the best way to resolve your situation, since you really seem to have at least two issues wrapped up in each other: finding that lifestyle balance and his lack of support for your efforts. I hope you can find a happy middle ground.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    I'm lucky. My husband thinks I'm too thin, but he absolutely supports my right to choose how I eat and exercise. Because I run, I have a lot of leeway in my diet, so my choices don't impact him that much. We still get ice cream, just not every day. We still get pizza, but not every week. We still drink beer, but only occasionally. Since he is overweight, but maintaining at that weight, he is not feeling deprived. Limiting our restaurant meals means we have more money to travel, which we both enjoy. I try not to let my running get in the way of time together, though it does sometimes. But he understands the fact that I get pleasure from running long races and training for them, and he wants me to be happy, so he puts up with the Sundays I disappear all afternoon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I am a widow and live alone and please myself now, my decisions, my wish, my opinion........ Me thanking my lucky stars!!!

You are happy to be a widow? :o