So - Is There Such A Thing As Different Builds/Bone Structures?

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    It is what my ex trainer said recently. By fair amount, I mean that I have little body fat but have retained muscle from the training I used to do(when my current profile picture was actually current), not that I have lots of prominent muscles. I suppose a few recent photographs might better illustrate what I mean by that. I don't mean I have lots of muscle. I mean that most of what I do have left now is muscle ? But your view may differ.

1fudieg6uhmd.jpg

y9tq1ekf9xvj.jpg

spmtqac4hm4b.jpg

I don't think you look "unhealthy" in those pictures. However you might look a little more "healthy" with a few extra pounds of fat. And I think your muscles look great.

I am glad you think so. My mother was really unhappy and worried when she saw me recently and my boyfriend thinks I have 'gone too far' and two trainers have now told me that I am underweight for my build. Admittedly, my BMI did hit 18.4 this weekend past, but yes, I do still have some muscle. I guess I just don't have much fat. I have not bothered to ask anyone what my bodyfat is currently.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It is what my ex trainer said recently. By fair amount, I mean that I have little body fat but have retained muscle from the training I used to do(when my current profile picture was actually current), not that I have lots of prominent muscles. I suppose a few recent photographs might better illustrate what I mean by that. I don't mean I have lots of muscle. I mean that most of what I do have left now is muscle ? But your view may differ.

1fudieg6uhmd.jpg

y9tq1ekf9xvj.jpg

spmtqac4hm4b.jpg

I don't think you look "unhealthy" in those pictures. However you might look a little more "healthy" with a few extra pounds of fat. And I think your muscles look great.

I am glad you think so. My mother was really unhappy and worried when she saw me recently and my boyfriend thinks I have 'gone too far' and two trainers have now told me that I am underweight for my build. Admittedly, my BMI did hit 18.4 this weekend past, but yes, I do still have some muscle. I guess I just don't have much fat. I have not bothered to ask anyone what my bodyfat is currently.

Are you trying to lose weight?
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

1fudieg6uhmd.jpg

y9tq1ekf9xvj.jpg

spmtqac4hm4b.jpg

Are you trying to lose weight?

Not currently, just trying to stay the same weight. I think it is more that I have lost 14Ibs since earlier this year and have a history of anorexia in my past, so my mother worries a lot.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Not trying to be mean, but I think your mum, boyfriend and ex-trainers have good reason to worry. In the nicest possible way, you need to regain some of that weight.

I have to cosign this. Losses at this point mean loss of lean mass as there's nowhere else for it to come from. I'd be concerned too, 14lbs is a lot on an already small person.

Especially over the course of 10 months, when it's drawing the person into an underweight territory.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and have very wide hips.

To give you an idea of my "frame size," when I was pregnant with my first kid, a lot of people didn't realize I was pregnant until I was 7 months along. Not because I was already fat, but because I really didn' t show, because he didn't need to stick out.

With kid #2, the midwife underestimated her birthweight by over a pound based on how big *I* was. I was still hiking and could touch my toes and fasten my own shoes, because the kid pretty much fit *inside* my skeleton and didn't have to stick out very much.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yes of course. That's why there is a range. I look healthy and fit at the top of the BMI range (160) where smaller built women would not. I have broad shoulders, big hips, a big rib cage, a big head, big hands, etc. I haven't been at the bottom (128) ever but I don't think I would look healthy at all.

And I'm totally the opposite. Well, I do have wide shoulders, but narrow hip width and no breasts (mastectomies). I look best - not bony or skinny - near the low end of the BMI range (19-20). I was noticeably fat near the top end.

I haven't seen a simple frame-classification method that's anything but nonsense yet, but there are definitely meaningful differences in people's configurations.

I have fairly broad shoulders also, but even when I was once underweight, my hips did not get that small, and are currently 34". My body, in the past, tended to settle at a BMI of around 20, but am currently 18.5-18.7. Although not underweight by BMI standards, a few people, including a trainer, have said I am underweight, so I am assuming it is due to my having a fair amount of muscle. I wish there was a way to gauge, beyond how you feel and how you look, the best weight as an individual.

You know that most people consider 34" hips small, right? And at 18.5-18.7, yes, you're right on the edge of being underweight.

It might be worth listening to your trainer, and others around you. Body dysmorphia is a beast, and another b word. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in that that we can't see what's the reality.

This^^

Being on the edge of underweight, and having a "fair amount of muscle" doesnt really make sense. Muscle mass will make you heavier for your size, and your bmi would be higher than expected if that were the case.

1fudieg6uhmd.jpg

y9tq1ekf9xvj.jpg

spmtqac4hm4b.jpg

I would just like to say that I absolutely adore your phone case!!
  • vinxvenus
    vinxvenus Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yeah, has to do with muscle mass to body fat ratio, fat distribution, and ethnicity & age.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    edit
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I had not anticipated my admission in another thread being raised in this old thread, but thank you for the concern nevertheless.

The purging issue has really arisen since I posted this. Until that point it had not been an issue and started up soon after this post. I find it quite embarrassing to still periodically struggle with ED nonsense at my age, after so many decades since my original anorexia struck. I mean, to my mind, I should have gotten over this long, long ago. Granted, I have never received any therapy specifically for this as the focus was always placed on my myriad other issues and the ED stuff took a back seat,so I have trucked along and just accepted the periodic relapses into disordered thinking/eating, and usually managed to pull myself back up before things became too bad. My weight has, since I posted the images here, dropped down to 123 Ibs which isn't drastically underweight but has pulled my BMI down to 18. I do not purge constantly. It is generally once a day that I have a minor binge and purge, in the evening. I seem to have developed an aversion to feeling full, whereas before, in the past, I was quite happy to eat a large meal in the evening and do the whole IF thing. I am trying to work out a way around this, by eating smaller amounts at more regular intervals.

I am still managing the gym fine. The main issue I am struggling with is getting cold easily now. I am sure my brain will kick into the right gear again at some point soon... I am hoping so, anyway as at 42, I am far too old to be sliding down this rabbit hole again. I am seeing someone weekly now, but she is just a social worker because apparently, you have to wait anything up to a year to get to see anyone focused on mental health issues here. She is aware of the situation with my ED.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I had not anticipated my admission in another thread being raised in this old thread, but thank you for the concern nevertheless.

The purging issue has really arisen since I posted this. Until that point it had not been an issue and started up soon after this post. I find it quite embarrassing to still periodically struggle with ED nonsense at my age, after so many decades since my original anorexia struck. I mean, to my mind, I should have gotten over this long, long ago. Granted, I have never received any therapy specifically for this as the focus was always placed on my myriad other issues and the ED stuff took a back seat,so I have trucked along and just accepted the periodic relapses into disordered thinking/eating, and usually managed to pull myself back up before things became too bad. My weight has, since I posted the images here, dropped down to 123 Ibs which isn't drastically underweight but has pulled my BMI down to 18. I do not purge constantly. It is generally once a day that I have a minor binge and purge, in the evening. I seem to have developed an aversion to feeling full, whereas before, in the past, I was quite happy to eat a large meal in the evening and do the whole IF thing. I am trying to work out a way around this, by eating smaller amounts at more regular intervals.

I am still managing the gym fine. The main issue I am struggling with is getting cold easily now. I am sure my brain will kick into the right gear again at some point soon... I am hoping so, anyway as at 42, I am far too old to be sliding down this rabbit hole again. I am seeing someone weekly now, but she is just a social worker because apparently, you have to wait anything up to a year to get to see anyone focused on mental health issues here. She is aware of the situation with my ED.

You don't have to feel embarrassed. Many many people still struggle with EDs until the day they die. Once a day is quite a lot. I am so sorry you are struggling with this and I hope you can start to do better and not keep sliding downwards. I am glad you are seeing someone and hopefully she will be a bit helpful. That is ridiculous. Mental health should be just as easy to get access to as any other type of service. It makes me so mad when I hear how people who need help either have to pay ridiculous amount out of pocket or have to wait forever to be seen. Hope with the support of your family you can start to do better and gain back to a healthy weight but most importantly be okay with it and happy mentally.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If age stopped us having issues that would be fabulous! But alas it doesn’t and there is no shame in knowing what your issue is and dealing with it. I am sure you are aware that exercise can be used in the same manner as other EDs. My beautiful cousin deals with Anerexia on top of a compulsive exercise problem that leaves her almost malnourished. If you are not fueling your workouts they will do pretty serious damage to your body. My suggestion though hard to hear would be take a break from all of it and let your body heal while you wait for counseling. Having an ED or any other mental disorder does not make you weak or ridiculous. It just means you have to focus on health first while your mind catches up with the program.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm currently overweight, a couple kg off normal bmi. My goal is 7-10kg less but if I start getting too skinny I will not push it. Bmi scale is not perfect.
    This is taken yesterday.
    ZoXDSVb.jpg

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I'm currently overweight, a couple kg off normal bmi. My goal is 7-10kg less but if I start getting too skinny I will not push it. Bmi scale is not perfect.
    This is taken yesterday.
    ZoXDSVb.jpg

WOW you definitely do not look overweight at all
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This post is all woo and is not coming from published studies, but...

I believe the physical appearance of a person probably has more to do with their non-skeletal lean body mass than it does with their bones. Most people judge the approximate 'fatness' of a person based on their facial tissues and visible muscular definition, as well as their torso shape than by what bone structure they have. This judgement also varies by gender as a relative fatness, rather than an absolute comparison.

I've noticed (anecdotally) that people that were obese in the past tend to have rib cages that stick out, but that they would shape inward over an amount of time ranging in years.

I've also noticed that people with broad shoulders and wide hips can avoid the appearance of obesity while accumulating body mass for much longer than those with narrow frames.

But that's just me.
  • skigal303
    skigal303 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp and the only time I've had a BMI as low as 24 was after 6 weeks of undereating and overexercising during boot camp. When I first arrived there, I had to get boots and hats from the men's side of the uniforms room because there weren't any big enough in women's. At 5'6", I'm not especially tall.

I've always had a hard time buying bracelets. I wear men's shoes as often as I can get away with it.

My goal is to get back into my skinny jeans from when I was a full time yoga teacher, which will have me at a Low Overweight BMI, and I'm ok with that.

Thanks for this link. Even when I weigh a lot less than I do now, my frame is "broad." To the OP- I think your muscle composition matters, too. I have a body fat analysis done with calipers when I get closer to a healthy weight. 150 is a sustainable, healthy weight for me even though the BMI says that puts me at overweight. I do check in with a doctor when I'm making these decisions and if my body fat is still too high or I'm still too heavy according to a professional then I readjust my goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm ditto on the 'everyone's different' bit. Heck, even at my lowest and with barely any fat on my torso, my waist was 28 inches... and I'm 5'5". With 34.5 hips at my lowest, it makes buying jeans a nightmare, either they fall off or I have a muffin top.

The 'finger around the wrist' thing is a lot of BS though - because you have thin wrists doesn't mean that you don't have a large torso, and what about hand size?

And just look at the Rock vs Tom Hiddleston... enough said.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

1fudieg6uhmd.jpg

y9tq1ekf9xvj.jpg

spmtqac4hm4b.jpg

Listen to your mum, boyfriend and trainers @Graelwyn75 ...