How can a smart person be so stupid about weight loss?

Options
Really the only part of my life that isn't nailed down. So in control of my career, family life, personal finance, and pretty much everything else. So why can't I get permanent control over my weight? Why do I continue to yo-yo year after year? Back on track now for maybe the 20th time in my adult life. Lost 90 lbs between Feb and September 2016 only to gain back 70 lbs by the end of summer 2017. I think I am a pretty intelligent guy. A self-made multi-millionaire with happy marriage and two amazing kids but damn I am stupid as hell when it comes to managing my weight!!!! I feel SOOOOOOO good when losing weight. Confidence and energy are way up. Happier, more active. Then let it all slide for what? A giant plate of pasta that I enjoy for 10 minutes? Sugary treats I pop in my mouth without thinking and really with no enjoyment? Why does food numb my brain? Why do I get 75% of the way to my goal and then fail, repeatedly? I'm down 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks but how will it be any different this time?

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I slack off my running and up my beer intake I am right there with you.
  • elvies32
    elvies32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Because neurochemistry tells you that overeating is a great idea and bypasses your brain. You have to strongly believe that you can override it with your brain because it is so powerful. It's a continuous mindfulness.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Make a deal with yourself.

Every time you get off track for more than one day (or X times per week, etc.), you will donate $500 to an organization/charity that you absolutely despise. Even better if you can tell somebody about it so they can help to keep you honest.

Sounds ridiculous but studies have shown these kind of internal bargains/commitments to be very effective in changing behavior.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    maybe don't let it get to a 70 lb gain before reigning in the eating...I usually reign it in when my clothes get tight...you can buy bigger clothes, or you can just push away from the table...if you stay within a single size, then you won't have so much to lose all at once...

I do feel like maintenance is an illusion for me...I'm constantly either getting snug in my clothes or trying to slim out of being snug in my clothes, I haven't found a way to stay a truly consistent weight...maybe it's a kind of magic only some people have???
  • dcallycat
    dcallycat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh man are you preaching to the choir! I feel EXACTLY the same way. I've been dieting since I was 13 - over 20 years. I know exactly what to do. I can get myself on track for a time, have success. But pasta. And wine. I know the answer is permanent lifestyle change - but I get so hung up on things like "everyone eats Chinese takeout, why can't I?!" I'm down 11 in 6 weeks and my dad has been encouraging me to make this the time to just do it. Get the burden of it off your back - do it this time then just maintain. Here is to hoping this smart lawyer can actually stick to it as well.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all this, but all I can share is what's worked for me (finally). This time around I looked at diet and exercise as a lifestyle change. I don't eat processed food, other than a very occasional snack. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week. I try to eat mainly veggies and protein. The first few weeks I had to retrain my brain. "You don't eat junk now" instead of "you don't eat junk for a little while". The gym is part of my routine and I don't allow myself to make excuses. Even if I'm not into it that day, I'll at least go for a little while.
    Good luck!! And don't be so hard on yourself. You can do it!
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Chris_2013 wrote: »
    Really the only part of my life that isn't nailed down. So in control of my career, family life, personal finance, and pretty much everything else. So why can't I get permanent control over my weight? Why do I continue to yo-yo year after year? Back on track now for maybe the 20th time in my adult life. Lost 90 lbs between Feb and September 2016 only to gain back 70 lbs by the end of summer 2017. I think I am a pretty intelligent guy. A self-made multi-millionaire with happy marriage and two amazing kids but damn I am stupid as hell when it comes to managing my weight!!!! I feel SOOOOOOO good when losing weight. Confidence and energy are way up. Happier, more active. Then let it all slide for what? A giant plate of pasta that I enjoy for 10 minutes? Sugary treats I pop in my mouth without thinking and really with no enjoyment? Why does food numb my brain? Why do I get 75% of the way to my goal and then fail, repeatedly? I'm down 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks but how will it be any different this time?

Your body is resisting that new body weight and you're letting it! Dont be hard on yourself at all, just be aware. Look for signs or times when you would slip up in the past. If you need help keep posting here and dont beat yourself up over it!
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the quick achievement mindset. You achieve a weight loss goal, then move on. Old habits produce old body. Maintenance is not really considered an achievement by many, however, it is probably the most important part of the plan for your body.

Sugar and fat are calorie dense, highly available, and seductive not just to the senses but also to instinct.

Get your weight down and hold it down. Maintain your eating habits until that's what actually happens - they become habits. Then you'll need to check yourself regularly to make sure you're staying honest.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Because you don't control your weight, you can't think yourself thin. (But you can learn to think like a thin person.) Your weight goes up and down according to the amount of calories you put in (and take out), and food intake is hardwired to be an almost automatic response to hunger (we have to eat). But a lot of the food we are surrounded by today is too easy to eat, and there's just too much of it, so we get food cues incessantly. Having to use rational decision for something that (in an "ideal" world) "should" be left mostly to impulse, is hard, and taking several hundred eating decisions every day, is exhausting. Our food is more calorie dense than ever, and without any social limitations on when and how much to eat anymore, on the contrary, eating being encouraged by everybody, any social sitaution has become an eating opportunity, it's no small wonder that we are getting bigger.

You are not stupid. You can use your brain to structure your environment and your schedule and your attitudes so that taking good decisions gets easier, and taking bad decisions, gets harder.

If you follow a weightloss plan where weightloss is the only motivation, you are going to fail. As you already know, food tastes good and makes you feel good. What you may not know, is that deeming certain foods (especially those we particularly like) bad or unhealthy, increases our cravings for them. When (not if) we give in, we feel weak, and shameful, and we don't enjoy the experience, we try hard to forget it ever happened.

So I suggest you think about some ways to eat responsibly while still getting pleasure out of what you eat.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Off topic but what kind of job do you have that made you millions? (Unless you don't feel comfortable sharing haha just wondering)
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary onNetflix recently called Fed Up and it discusses processes food, sugar intake, and childhood obesity. Really fascinating and enlightening (without a vegan or juicing bias). The best advice I could give you would be to slowdown the weight loss, change your attitude from “I can’t have it” to “I don’t want it” and read up on nutrition. The reason I mentioned the documentary is because it very succinctly explains what sugar does to our bodies and why we crave it, processed foods, and massive amounts of carbs that converts to glucose. You’re smart, ask yourself why you eat when and what you eat. Change the the attitude you have with food.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these replies folks, some helpful stuff. Going to read them all again.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    Sounds like the quick achievement mindset. You achieve a weight loss goal, then move on. Old habits produce old body. Maintenance is not really considered an achievement by many, however, it is probably the most important part of the plan for your body.

Sugar and fat are calorie dense, highly available, and seductive not just to the senses but also to instinct.

Get your weight down and hold it down. Maintain your eating habits until that's what actually happens - they become habits. Then you'll need to check yourself regularly to make sure you're staying honest.

This hits home, I do have an achievement mindset and once there (or close to it) move on and fail with maintenance. Need to focus on making that a goal this time and set a longer timeframe so maintenance becomes more of a habit.